Cylinder heads: which is a better buy - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 10:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
lots of highway driving???
i drove the 400 with 327 heads daily, to work and back, half city, half highway miles, for about 2 years, even drove the car about 75 miles straight, on vacation one time. dart heads ran a little hotter. 3.31 gears, 3000 stall, 78 malibu. car ran real low 12s through 2.5 full exhaust. out of the box dart 200 heads made no perf difference than backyard ported fuelies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Eatonde, I'm just short of gettin' a little miffed at you over this steam hole thing. Geez guy, why would you even hesitate drillin' 'em if there's even a remote possibility that they will come back to bite you in the *** down the road? Maybe by the time you get to my age and have had enough of these little things let you down, you'll have learned to address them before they become a problem. For every person you talk to who has not had a problem, you can more than likely find two people who have had a problem with overheating. The fact that the professional engineers at Chevrolet included them in the blueprints should provide you with a clue.

Any manufacturer from whom you buy heads will drill 'em for you before they ship the product if you feel you can't or won't do it for yourself.

If you find yourself with a set of heads on hand that need drilled, locate some scrap angle iron and use an angle finder to fabricate a fixture to drill them on a drill press. Follow the instructions in the link I gave you on post #6 of this thread. Once you've done a set, run an ad on craigslist under auto parts that you will drill heads for other guys. "Drill your small block Chevy heads for steam holes, $35." Now, just hump up Bucky and get it done!!!

As far as Patriot heads, there's probably nothing wrong with them. I suspect that a few of them were machined incorrectly in the beginning and there was probably some porosity in the castings. But I also suspect they have that addressed by now.

Every engine build should include checking everything before final assembly. Here's how to determine if the head/manifold interface is parallel and will seal on assembly.....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ak%2C_internal
yes, gm drilled them, and YES that's where they all crack. try to find a set of 400 heads that aren't cracked.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 3,048 Times in 2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknroy
yes, gm drilled them, and YES that's where they all crack. try to find a set of 400 heads that aren't cracked.
Perhaps, but we're not talking production 400 heads here, we're talking aftermarket heads with thicker decks. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 PM

i agree with you. i know aftermarket heads are thicker, and many people drill the steam holes, and you're right, better safe, then sorry. i didn't and had no problems

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in