Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Day's Work (pic dump)
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 02:19 AM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,972 Times in 4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Dadburnit, thanx button not working tonite.

John, let me ask you (and Pugs) this:

I am thinking of making the whole side of the car basically, from the body line down and from over the axle to the hood... in one piece. Shaping it that way then slicing and flanging the sections to make cowl, door skin, and quarter patches that flow well. All at once, avoiding the fuss of contouring edges of seperately made patches to match perfectly. I doubt that the lengthwise contour difference where I cut for panel gaps and fold them over would be significant. But I will need a good hand to help wheel the "uniside".

Thoughts? Anyone?
Could it be done? i think it could but you will need someone to help you that is pretty savey. Your helper will need to keep the corners from drooping as well as help you track the metal through the wheel.

As your panel gets bigger the more difficult it gets. Also, the less crown in the panel, the more difficult it gets. It would be easy to mess up a pretty big piece of sheet metal doing it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Boy I sure am glad its not one of those! I actually said that today... glad its not a 49 Merc. This, aside from being five window, is like the easiest chop there is. And the jobs before it were good prep for all this, plus the magnitude of the tasks have escalated kinda gently like a ramp. A kinda steep one, but man this is the kind of jobs that bring more jobs so I try to step with it. Don't stray far from the punch bowl, John... I may need you guys. If not for metal shaping support, for distracting fellowship and reality based logic that makes light of it all. Because this job is a heavy mutha. By anyone's standards, no denying it. If I do all this, I will have done something!
You keep filling the punch bowl and we will keep hanging around!

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-31-2018)