Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Day's Work (pic dump)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Pugsy, of what? Two chop heights?

First thing I'll want to look at concerning the chop is a 3/2. Thats what I need to see to know if I like it, which matters naught anyway but I could stop asking questions if thats set in stone. I see raves about things that look wrong to me like rear side window shape lookin fugly and not enough rake making it look uphill to the windshield.

John, you know I answer to one person up there. Thats the only one I feel the need to please. Big Mike has more experience with 30s Ford than the rest of us combined and has done chops. We have learned to accept his suggestions as near-gospel no matter what and it proves to be a good thing time and time again but I see unexplored options all over the place. I mean its not like theres anything new under the Model A sun, I can't do anything that hasn't been done. But you know I often see things in different light and sometimes thats a good thing. "Because thats what looks good." (3/2) can be reason enough for me, but for me to be sure I agree, I have to explore.

Exploration has shown me that most anything off a 32-4 is welcome on a 30-1, like roof front, windshield, cowl vent. Does the man like pivoting windshield with visor, or tilt-out with no visor? I'll need to find out, and provide a means from which to select if theres a decision to be made.

And then theres stuff like moving the cowl forward to flush doors instead of cutting the body. Heck you can just swap sides with the doors to suicide them with stock hinges. Its a simple old car but theres a lot to consider for sure. The order of operations is what my mind needs to sort first, so I am pushing to establish the list of operations now. I gotta start running with it but lack direction. Usually if I plug parameters into my noggin on this side of town, I'll have my idea by the time I get to the shop and can walk in with a purpose rather than an "OK, umm... lets see.". Creative thinking is best done before stepping into the shop full of distractions.

Figurin out what to do and what to do first is something that's ingrained into my brain more and more. In the past, I've been jumping into stuff and screwing up everything. After planning the house in such great detail, I'm seeing how the planning pays off.

Two shots meaning the stock and the shopped pics.
I'm not finding many raked pics on google. That will obviously angle the window...hmm...how will that look?

But ya, as you mentioned, the boss's ideas always come out good and from the pics of your shop's projects, no doubts on the outcome of this one either...just nice to hash out ideas/thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (08-06-2018)