Today I created a lower half for the body support & alignment structure I built last week. Using 80" long, 1 x 3" 14 gauge tubing I made side beams that attach via roughly sliced brackets of angle stock with one side drilled. Lateral beams were next, then a piece of upright (exactly plumb) angle was used near the B pillars, just ahead of the spot where the top side beams pass over the lower. To space the height of the two boxes evenly, side-vs-side. It could use one in the center just ahead of the trunk.
But then, the prevailing plan was to remove the unboltable, slightly adjustable lower box and square it on the floor like I did the top half. But that sounded like more work so I did a quick check first.
Happy to report that the lower half of the support structure went together squarely in the car, so there was no need for that step. I can now get consistent comparative measurements on all corners of my structure. THAT was a welcome suprise!
So yay, good deal. All within a max of less than a quarter inch, X-measured between dash / post (top, front) reference point and that one in the pics at the tail. That is an acceptable amount of variation for me to proceed.
This is the part where I got a little hoot from the wreck fixer in me. Looking at variations of the body, from the structure. Whoa, Nellie! Yeah its a typical Model A, bent. The tail panel is on crooked and that kinked quarter is mashed pretty good.
My next step is to align and level body on frame then add tabs to the support structure at some body mount holes. THEN, I can correctly establish a master center line and reference it for proper positioning of the floppy loose, previously incorrectly positioned during floor repair, driver's side B pillar... bottom.
Then I can go hawg wild measuring any point on the body, and have lots of options for cutting and fitting plus body shell handling with the support. So I'm pleased, and anxious to get going. Its about time to shop sheetmetal. Thats another good brownie point list.