Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Day's Work (pic dump)
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,831 Posts
Can't recall seeing replacement rear window panels during research thus far, so it was the first thing I reached for. The T strips at the roof seam had confounded me when trying to remove one. We will be eliminating the seam there. Now with it all apart, I found that they are secured to the window panel with spot welds.

They are a heavy gauge and stout. It is in my mind to use them as supports under the shaved seam. I planned to leave the edge flanges that mate there, but may trim them for an open butt weld and support the area with the T strips tied to the new inner structure and fitted closely to the old seam area and topped with a bead of seam sealer.

Front trunk gutter was also spot welded to the rear window panel. I drilled it off, too.

You can kinda see there that the edge at the lid gap is folded over. It has been ground through in spots. Envisioning a different arrangement there but wanting to preserve that edge, its curved.

Inside out and upside down here, you can see the cellulite happenings above the window. Rather than make and splice, I will give saving it a shot...

Some off-dolly work on that crease, and a little buzz just in case anything was sticking up-

This spot... man, experience told one hand to just cut it here, for relief. The kink was just too severe and theres a lump there like half an egg. Other hand said pic first:

Because I was not about to address all that with a hammer! English wheel! Selected a wheel that seemed appropriate and started off gentle. Only had a few minutes left in the day to get started wheeling, but it does look promising. If nothing else, I may lessen the amount of panel that has to be fabricated. If I save it, thats a yard of butt weld off the bill so its worth a shot. Especially since the front edge will butt weld to a metal roof panel meaning the top insert flange is not part that I have to save.

I pretty much just wheeled and buzzed the one bad side to see how it will go.

Sigh. Slick ain't making it to work... tick-tock on the Catalina job.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (08-10-2018)