Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Day's Work (pic dump)
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,392 Times in 3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
No, don't flatten. Just hold the pointy end of the comma dolly about where you want the bend and kinda "swipe" blow with your slight crown body hammer. Just put the metal where you want it without flattening.

Just try it next time, and it'll come to you instantly seeing as you pound metal around already.
Ah, the comma. My big one is kinda squared there but the newer junky hollowed out HF one be kinda pointy. The swiping with hammer move in itself is kind of an advanced maneuver, and a valuable skill. I have also been known to take a chisel over to the step-down on top of the anvil, to move or sharpen a line. I just tend to not bend my bends enough to crease until I can assure they all work. Sneakang up, if you will. As time goes by, I'll act with more confidence. I must say, that patch I just made would have presented a challenge to my forty-something self. But it was just a matter of walking in and doing the things, to make that now. I knew what to do once I thought it over, and it was really simple just like everyone said. Doing a neat, professional job of it is something I'll add in more and more as I become more fluent in shaping. First, do it. Second, do it neatly.

I did not remember to try to add bulge to the bead like what Rip is dealing with on his T door skins, but seriously... most folks would not. Too easy to perfect it in the filler stage of the job, and chances are you'll have to wipe there anyway. Gosh, I wonder if he has seen this thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (08-18-2018)