Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Day's Work (pic dump)
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,383 Times in 3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
That's the part scares me. I already have enough addictions to expensive tools...
I'd say I'll try it, but if as you say, once I go down that road, there is no going back, then I'll have to continue... what to do ...
Bomb stuff with clearance aisle aerosol crap, just enough to keep air off it. I was gonna warn you when I linked you by saying "Its high", but forum and phone were clashing at that moment and I was out of time to edit and add those two words.

But I have not shopped comparable products and did not select Picklex, just am happy we have it and can see that having it on hand has been profitable in the boss's face. He was eager to make sure we have plenty.

Whatever you choose to do, remember sanding the bare steel clean is a must before applying any coating that stays. My approach to this when working on my own dime in my own garage on my own ride was to brush on epoxy just as soon as I uncovered an entire panel and had it 80 gritted and degreased. Minimal cost, time spent, and mess made. Least number of repeated operations.

When I made it all around the car, then a quick blocking to knock down the faint brush marks (foam roller is best, I know that now but one brush well rinsed is cheaper) and a thorough sanding with a DA had me ready for either additional epoxy or primer-surfacer over the whole car. What I did at that point was buzz then mud then reapply. Then it was ready to sand and apply primer surfacer.

It can be difficult for me to see things from a hobbyist point of view but that is genuine hobbyist advice and while that was so long ago, it is still a valid approach with all things considered. If you do not have epoxy on hand, rattle can and wipe/sand when you do.