Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Day's Work (pic dump)
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,418 Times in 3,190 Posts
Entering the grey room with a belch suitable for stepping off the elevator into an empty parking garage, I went on and did my crazy things and minutes later a fab guy stopped in his tracks, glaring at the thing in my hand. I was just finishing up at the bead roller and he says You just made that? Then came praise and I was the one looking lost. Everybody said they were simple, now its awesome. Ah, Monday.

So here we are at the roller part. There was time spent at the wheel prior to this, but not much since the general shape was started and it was smoother than the last. At this point, unlike the other side I have made one careful pass with stepping dies for the body line. The other was more like five with none perfect. This one sags in the middle a smidge.

At this point, where I forgot to do anything on the other, I remembered Rip's T door skins and did the stroll, over toward the engish wheel for a moment. With only the body line stepped, I spread out the wheels and with a flat anvil, I gently tipped a radius just outside the stepped line. Well in places too far and in some not enough, but just to entertain myself I reckon. Any mortal would play hell matching the whimsical factory shapes.

Anyhow, then I shuffled back to the brake and bent the bottom. Bumped that with the shrinker for some itty bit of curve to grow on... and ended up having to move that bottom line. Easy, Pugs.

Then, being as how I was tippy already, why I just tiptoed on over to the punch bo... er... bead roller again. I did say this was the roller part, didn't I? Flipped one step die around like I like to do for tipping duties such as this. I take too big'a bites though. A feller oughtn't do that. Several light passes are best but I know the ugly mark gets hid plus I can wheel it or something, watch and see.

Reckon it was long about then when ol Mister Smartypants came passing by and gawked. That run me off over to the V and A where I thought of Pugsy's demo. My decent hammers is all flat faced so out come the big boppin honkin whopper slapper-

He could smoke me at hammering, folks. And I'm starting the week with callouses (sp?) from it. My money says the 455 will chew that 327 though.

OK, ok, I'll get on with it! Here. Bottom needs work, I rebent it in the brake Need to check out my rocker but yeah, this dog will also hunt I suppose. I ain't willing to commit without other panels on but the quarters will be easier to handle and to fasten with these screwed patches for the time being. I'm pleased with it thus far. Yes I did use the stretcher on that wheel lip edge for fine tuning.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (08-21-2018), John long (08-20-2018), Rip VW (08-20-2018), Too Many Projects (08-21-2018)