The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,022 Times in 2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Figurin out what to do and what to do first is something that's ingrained into my brain more and more. In the past, I've been jumping into stuff and screwing up everything. After planning the house in such great detail, I'm seeing how the planning pays off.

Two shots meaning the stock and the shopped pics.
I'm not finding many raked pics on google. That will obviously angle the window...hmm...how will that look?

But ya, as you mentioned, the boss's ideas always come out good and from the pics of your shop's projects, no doubts on the outcome of this one either...just nice to hash out ideas/thoughts.
The hashing out IS the fun part. Good exercise for the left hemisphere and lets the right play more. It makes execution a breeze and dumps worries about later. Anything I can do to specify upcoming needs beforehand, and more importantly, prioritizing them... yields an equal amount of attention to fulfillment of those needs in a timely manner. In this case, repairs, mods, and options overlap, labor-wise, in lots of areas. Making the job a quagmire of backwards work to get caught doing. Not unlike sending in infantry and tanks when snipers would do if they do well. Both tasks make war but the job is completely different. Planning is like the pre-emptive artillery strike. Sorry, too many documentaries.

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me... chopped prewar Fords require rake. I bet I can eventually show what no rake looks like. But I'll be danged though, I was not expecting a full sweep of approval on the first shot with a chop edit. Hell I was going to illustrate options but pfft, why? So far its a go just like that. I'll take it and run and leave on a vow to not make the rear side windows the thing that gives away the chop. John.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Grand Prix User

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180807_121244.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	433873  
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Grand Prix User

123pugsy (08-07-2018)

Old 08-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Grand Prix User

Guy working the E9 in the next stall yesterday asks: "Do they make white primer?" (he sprays stuff at home)

DP48LF, I says.

He then says his friend has an S10 thats had some repairs. Needs primer now, and money for paint will take awhile to save...

So I spent several minutes trying to guide him toward SPI's white epoxy. But he wants to walk into a place and buy. Still, I pitched SPI. The conversation ended with him taking a pic of their price sheet I had pulled up on my phone.

Fat lot of good that did me, should have saved my breath on that one. I bet if SPI was in Japan, he'd have went for it. People just only want what they want.

Forgot to get a Cat pic yesterday but the frame horn splice job is turning out nice looking so far. Fairly complex little pieces he is making for it. Custom frames are that guy's favorite thing to do.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 AM
Grand Prix User

Sure was glad to find that the dolly we had free was within 1/2" of the width of the A's body. That worked out slick. It is not attached to the dolly so I put a couple tabs on the corners to keep it centered.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,964 Times in 4,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Guy working the E9 in the next stall yesterday asks: "Do they make white primer?" (he sprays stuff at home)

DP48LF, I says.

He then says his friend has an S10 thats had some repairs. Needs primer now, and money for paint will take awhile to save...

So I spent several minutes trying to guide him toward SPI's white epoxy. But he wants to walk into a place and buy. Still, I pitched SPI. The conversation ended with him taking a pic of their price sheet I had pulled up on my phone.

Fat lot of good that did me, should have saved my breath on that one. I bet if SPI was in Japan, he'd have went for it. People just only want what they want.

Forgot to get a Cat pic yesterday but the frame horn splice job is turning out nice looking so far. Fairly complex little pieces he is making for it. Custom frames are that guy's favorite thing to do.
I have a friend who is always asking for advice. The problem is, he asks 35 people for the same advice and then goes with the one who finally tells him what he wants to hear.....Even if they don't know squat about the subject.

He will finally find someone who will assure him the $1.00 rattle cans at the Family Dollar are first class paint. It's an absolute waste of time trying to help him.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I have a friend who is always asking for advice. The problem is, he asks 35 people for the same advice and then goes with the one who finally tells him what he wants to hear.....Even if they don't know squat about the subject.

He will finally find someone who will assure him the $1.00 rattle cans at the Family Dollar are first class paint. It's an absolute waste of time trying to help him.

John
He used some pink glitter from the home improvement store in the clear on his chick's car.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Grand Prix User

Literally not much to show today. Stall looks like a bomb went off though.

Screwed up my back Monday and yesterday a little each. Its talking to me this afternoon.
123pugsy (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
That's the way to get a rod done right.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,662 Posts
Wouldn't it be cool if Ford still had the dies to stamp that big piece of metal for you ?? That is crazy that they could do that 95-100 years ago.
Sorry to hear about the back...find a chiropractor you can trade work with to crunch it back into place..
I go to mine every Thursday morning at 8:45 am.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
That's the way to get a rod done right.
I just figure if a feller does a Model A and doesn't do that....

well, he passed up a good chance. Far as I'm concerned, everything can go to the blaster now. With the mud knocked off hopefully they would not have to step on the tender parts very hard. Fortunately, its another street rod shop sorta nearby that does our blasting normally. So they know, y'know? I skated through the suggested parts vendor's offerings yesterday (Howell's) and could order parts but need to try something first. Did not see any roof stuff available except hole filler inserts. Which I had said were $600 but are 300. For the fanciest.

Restoring relative order in IDJ-land is gonna be first up. Then floor I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if Ford still had the dies to stamp that big piece of metal for you ?? That is crazy that they could do that 95-100 years ago.
Sorry to hear about the back...find a chiropractor you can trade work with to crunch it back into place..
I go to mine every Thursday morning at 8:45 am.
Oh, man. If only I could swing normal people things. Still locked "in the red" rest of the year from obamacare. That is sadistic irony, ain't it? Lost another hunk of a molar Friday, letting that ride too. Usually if I carefully move my back all the way into every postion, things realign after some rest to reduce the inflammation. Failing that, one good hit of ibuprofen helps knock it down. Its so beautimus outside this evening that I believe I'll have a brief hump day rip-snort off the 455. Thats like medicine.

The quarters were factory spliced just above the belt, look close at the inside out quarter pic. Don't put it past me to hack them there, it would facilitate wheeling the roof sides to straighten, particularly the right which damn I may have to make. I think I saw thousand dollar plus full quarters somewhere but the roof side stops at the B pillar and has no forward section. I will have much labor invested in assuring a symmetrical "halo" of perfect looking top, around the perimeter of this lid. The roof sides I have here look mighty rough. I probably need to hunt harder but I am A'ed out. Like I always say, the hardest thing for me is the nonstop no breaks in between projects thing. Maybe I should guzzle some ZDDP.
123pugsy (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Grand Prix User

Fun ahead! Organized, familiarized, ready to build.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180809_124057.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	433919  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-09-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Grand Prix User

Can't recall seeing replacement rear window panels during research thus far, so it was the first thing I reached for. The T strips at the roof seam had confounded me when trying to remove one. We will be eliminating the seam there. Now with it all apart, I found that they are secured to the window panel with spot welds.

They are a heavy gauge and stout. It is in my mind to use them as supports under the shaved seam. I planned to leave the edge flanges that mate there, but may trim them for an open butt weld and support the area with the T strips tied to the new inner structure and fitted closely to the old seam area and topped with a bead of seam sealer.

Front trunk gutter was also spot welded to the rear window panel. I drilled it off, too.

You can kinda see there that the edge at the lid gap is folded over. It has been ground through in spots. Envisioning a different arrangement there but wanting to preserve that edge, its curved.

Inside out and upside down here, you can see the cellulite happenings above the window. Rather than make and splice, I will give saving it a shot...

Some off-dolly work on that crease, and a little buzz just in case anything was sticking up-

This spot... man, experience told one hand to just cut it here, for relief. The kink was just too severe and theres a lump there like half an egg. Other hand said pic first:

Because I was not about to address all that with a hammer! English wheel! Selected a wheel that seemed appropriate and started off gentle. Only had a few minutes left in the day to get started wheeling, but it does look promising. If nothing else, I may lessen the amount of panel that has to be fabricated. If I save it, thats a yard of butt weld off the bill so its worth a shot. Especially since the front edge will butt weld to a metal roof panel meaning the top insert flange is not part that I have to save.

I pretty much just wheeled and buzzed the one bad side to see how it will go.

Sigh. Slick ain't making it to work... tick-tock on the Catalina job.
496CHEVY3100 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Grand Prix User

Did the unthinkable yesterday... forgot to take an end of day pic. It looked pretty nice as far as the dents go. Should make a usable rear window panel anyhow. Welded up the cut from the inside, first thing. After grinding both sides, I went back for more rounds of wheeling and sanding and now its fairly lovely. But I guess I got carried away cleaning and protecting the steel for the weekend that I either forgot a pic or just thought I took it. Oh well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (08-11-2018), John long (08-11-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Grand Prix User

123pugsy (08-13-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in