The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 104 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,782 Times in 2,839 Posts
On second thought, grape color and 15" Radirs don't sound too bad. Hmm, wonder why. Boss wants no flakes but the Biscayne still looked like a solid with one pearl coat.

I am trying to think of some solid colors that might work for a two tone with the light color on the bottom.

No other color suggestions? Let me rephrase. What SPI color is best for a Model A?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
On second thought, grape color and 15" Radirs don't sound too bad. Hmm, wonder why. Boss wants no flakes but the Biscayne still looked like a solid with one pearl coat.

I am trying to think of some solid colors that might work for a two tone with the light color on the bottom.

No other color suggestions? Let me rephrase. What SPI color is best for a Model A?

SPI? No idea.

If you want opinions for your photo edits, I would say one color only. I googled model A's and I find all the pics of two tones are not appealing at all. (to me )

Probably because they didn't come that way maybe?
Like a nice 55 Chevy two tone. Looks terrific.

Finally though, I always end up with red. It seems to make any car look good. (my opinion of course, which may be wrong....)
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,773 Times in 2,637 Posts
SPI only has 2-3 top coat paint colors, I think red, black and maybe white ?.

2 tone, I'm stuck on electric blue and maybe with lighter, pearl blue, ghost flames ? Maybe I should be considering this for my '38 instead of chasing an unknown new penny copper color ???

About the only 2 tone with contrasting colors on an A is with just the fenders painted. It's like trying to find a natural dividing line for 2 colors on my '38. They don't seem to lend themselves to that scheme well. The rendition you came up with for trailing an Ivory roof down to the bottom of the trunk lid is about the best 2 tone I've seen on a coupe. Don't know if the boxy shape of the A would allow that ?

Red ? really Pugs ? I liked your Yellow truck. Bright Yellow with black fenders would be very traditional, but again, not very subtle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-20-2019), idrivejunk (07-20-2019)

Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
SPI? No idea.

If you want opinions for your photo edits, I would say one color only. I googled model A's and I find all the pics of two tones are not appealing at all. (to me )

Probably because they didn't come that way maybe?
Like a nice 55 Chevy two tone. Looks terrific.

Finally though, I always end up with red. It seems to make any car look good. (my opinion of course, which may be wrong....)

SPI has three shades of red in basecoat. I want to say our Coyote man said no red though.

I'm getting some mental pictures dumping their black and white together for an impromptu battleship grey. It occurred to me to do that with semi gloss clear and shiny black fenders, at a glance it could come across as grey primer which is timeless. But then I thought about all shiny but black body and dark grey fenders. Hmm

I have a new edit going on the PC right now and am just getting a mask made at the moment. Its already hot outside. Did play with the "gradient fill" (oops, I called it intrpolate before) feature of the program. Man I bet PhotoShop has a learning curve as steep as HPT! This is simpler.

I have always like black fenders. Dark red looks good like that. Of course, yes, always speaking in terms of my or your personal taste is cool.

I feel like some wacky experimentation will be required to come up with anything approaching unique. One thing I did notice on a previous edit and Mitch pointed it put, too... was the big effect a little stripe on the body side bead can have a big effect visually.

One color kinda leaves me hanging on an A limited to solid colors. But I am having trouble visualizing some of the two tones that are popping into my head. As you have found, a guy really has to just wait until a thing can be seen with sufficient completion and realism before a true reaction can be given.

I'm half working and half playing with this. Could get funner once I have the mask stage done. Started on that last night but ran short of gumption to finish with.

Keep yer eyes peeled.

Next?
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post

2 tone, I'm stuck on electric blue and maybe with lighter, pearl blue, ghost flames ? Maybe I should be considering this for my '38 instead of chasing an unknown new penny copper color ???

About the only 2 tone with contrasting colors on an A is with just the fenders painted. It's like trying to find a natural dividing line for 2 colors on my '38. They don't seem to lend themselves to that scheme well. The rendition you came up with for trailing an Ivory roof down to the bottom of the trunk lid is about the best 2 tone I've seen on a coupe. Don't know if the boxy shape of the A would allow that ?

Red ? really Pugs ? I liked your Yellow truck. Bright Yellow with black fenders would be very traditional, but again, not very subtle.
Well, the mask I have started is in blue. Electric blue is like 90s Ford, right?

Two shades of red has potential in my mind. But I prefer to keep red off the table ATM. However the tudor plastic model I did, I chose a dark red metallic. Hey, what about Cordovan Maroon and Butternut? Or all maroon with cream interior. Hmm. See? Edits, must.

I concur about two tones, the A body is a curveball in that respect. But... if everything above the body line is the same color, I think some two tones on the body have merit. If you get into going around the windows and stuff thats immediate hell no territory. To me.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Grand Prix User

By the way... dadgum, some parts of this editing stuff is tedious as hell. Fortunately, not so concentration-dependent that I can't listen to tunes or radio shows during. It is something constructive to do comfortably regardless of weather or degree of broke-ness. Changing colors and stuff is simple but this part before that sucks. You lean in close to the screen to do this part but back off to look at color combos and such. No extra charge for my bonus commentary lol. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:

Yep, red..........did I ever mention that I'm anti-traditional.... figured you guys would know me by now...ha....

I liked my red truck better.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79 Chevy With Tracker Boat.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	445193  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (07-20-2019), idrivejunk (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 12:15 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Yep, red..........did I ever mention that I'm anti-traditional.... figured you guys would know me by now...ha....

Ah, thank you for setting up this patriotic post!

I had not thought of stars and stripes. Good one.

I liked the white one better (454) but more good times were had in the blue (250).

Heres the A thing so far. I will not have the car look crooked in the edit because it distracts the eye. These sides are pretty much mirrored. Ready to start the new uniform shading technique experiment now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	454truck.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	445195   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueLF.jpg
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	445197   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_130355.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	445199  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-20-2019), Gearhead Poppa (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Red is exactly what threw me. That is about THE most common and traditional color on a hot rod on the planet...

Rain finally stopped. Looks like the rest of the day will be hot and VERY steamy.
Got our realtor coming in a short while to give her opinion on a listing value. This could either be interesting or depressing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-20-2019), idrivejunk (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Red is exactly what threw me. That is about THE most common and traditional color on a hot rod on the planet...

Rain finally stopped. Looks like the rest of the day will be hot and VERY steamy.
Got our realtor coming in a short while to give her opinion on a listing value. This could either be interesting or depressing...
I was also confused but hey, maple leafs aren't stars so I worked with it. He threw you hard enough to make you space which thread we're on.

Since this is this one, I'll ask if by chance its so steamy outside because you had frisky-in-rain company in that raincoat earlier. Probing gutters and what-not.

The shading technique is killer, just had to play around to see how it works. I'd put up a progress pic but it can wait because I am on the wrong device to do that. I use 3 different devices because each has something it won't do that it's sister will.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:35 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Ah, thank you for setting up this patriotic post!

I had not thought of stars and stripes. Good one.

I liked the white one better (454) but more good times were had in the blue (250).

Heres the A thing so far. I will not have the car look crooked in the edit because it distracts the eye. These sides are pretty much mirrored. Ready to start the new uniform shading technique experiment now.

I like the c10 and red ,,,but my favorite square body is the K10.white.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I was also confused but hey, maple leafs aren't stars so I worked with it. He threw you hard enough to make you space which thread we're on.

Since this is this one, I'll ask if by chance its so steamy outside because you had frisky-in-rain company in that raincoat earlier. Probing gutters and what-not.
I wish..
Actually, the heat was pushed out and it's much cooler and less humidity now. Was just out in the yard and it's pleasant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:21 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I like the c10 and red ,,,but my favorite square body is the K10.white.
My white one was 2WD, previous owner said it was made from a 76 and 78, I couldn't afford to feed it. Due to the gas mileage, I didn't make any bread until after lunch because I worked twenty miles from home. But it had passing gear that ripped like a 350 4bbl car.

Red is a good looking color on them. I liked the code 29 dark blue solid on square bods best. Make mine a 73-80.

There is a long square one at a trucking place up by work that I would have to pull a sketchy stunt to get a pic of due to location but it has a General Lee paint job. Kinda sharp, actually.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I wish..
Actually, the heat was pushed out and it's much cooler and less humidity now. Was just out in the yard and it's pleasant.
Love it when that happens. I oughtta mow before the chigger hour. I have the hardest part of the bell bottom A edit did. Gonna shoot for posting it before giving the ponch it's Saturday evening flog.

So youse mugs can give me more good ideas, see?

You'll see. But yeah what is electric blue on? There was a thread here last week about poor coverage with that color. No, not starting that sermon again like with the gold. Just sayin, might be a costly color. I believe I can show you blue on the 38 without much fuss.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:15 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
I wish..

Ya, it landed here...gawd....93

But then again, AC in the garage, not bad..........
It was only awful walking from the house to the garage, about 25'...ha....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in