The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 105 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,272 Times in 3,106 Posts
Blew my self imposed deadline like snot. This is as far as I got before the dreaded "There is not enough memory" box popped up. The program was getting wonky by thrn anyhow and began to frustrate but I saved often so after the old box has a cooldown I can resume. Rip snort time.

This does show pleasing potential, doing it the fancy way. But the layers lose opacity and pixelates edges as I go. You can kinda see what I mean here. Creates more tedium with every move one makes. Frustrating but this style is moving in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greenA.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	445207  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Grand Prix User

Wow, that looks fine on my phone, hprrible on tablet. Notice how I am worrying less about typos. Dadburn infernal flash mem garbage! I'll keep at it but I think the HRF picture resizer did a number on that image. Should put it on the blog instead. More later, maybe not today.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Grand Prix User

Same image. Lets see how it looks.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:39 PM
Grand Prix User

Boy, that is craptastic. Hmm
Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 AM
Grand Prix User

Unless I am missing something, my equipment ain't gonna do much better than this. Vivid colors do much better than neutrals. I used a different approach, snagged a nice smooth piece of sky and kept it smooth as possible instead of the gradient fill feature. Double the trouble for maybe a quarter improvement in appearance. I'll doll one up with the goodies but wow... what a tremendous effort was required to make it this far. Each color change presents a new challenge but hey... that red one looks alright. Of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:54 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,734 Posts
I tried to play with just "paint" in the past and would have destroyed all the editing components long before I got as far as you did.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-21-2019), idrivejunk (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Grand Prix User

Top o the mornin TMP. Just the guy I wanted to see.

MS Paint sure ain't the thing to use unless you just need to play John Madden on something. What I use is well beyond that but 3000 pixels wide at 300 per inch is all she'll do, flat out. Plus other limitations. I can prod her for more but end up blowing it and losing my work. I suspect its the limited color pallate burning me with all the splotchy stuff. I reckon I have been doing pretty good with it considering what it is. The PC has 3GB of RAM but could use a fresh dab of heat sink paste.

Be that as it may, I wish to thank you for being such a gentleman.

I surfed up 68 Chevy Cordovan Maroon. Aluminum flakes are obviously present in the modern formula but most of the pics on the search look solid. So I surfed up the chip chart. I'll be damned, yeah it is metallic. And, I believe, a handsome hue for an A.

I would have argued that one. But you let me slide. Preesh.

Allow me to explain. I had to go rinse 20 years of dust off my authentic sample. The left quarter extension off my '68 'bu. The original finish was chalked all to hell when I got the car and my friend at the time put a Lucite job on it. That was in '83 and my paint education didn't start until '88.

All I can really see is where buffing revealed a sparse number of fine flakes. I always thought it was a solid. Re: earlier post. Heres why.

I was one sad, sad 17 year old when I picked that up across Hwy1 about ten miles north of Alexandria. Little did I know this was to be the pattern of my life.

Stopping right there. Made my admission of fault and will spare you the rest.

On the A edits, I think what I learned is that olive is a tough color to represent nicely with PhotoImpression3. Just what I needed. I am wanting to blow Gary away with one fullblown, professional-as-I-can-make-it rendering in order to maybe get more requests. Looking like I'll need to wait for a red job, the red ones look great. To me.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Maroon/Burgundy is a fine color and with black fenders pulls off the 2 tone while being subtle. It is a rather traditional combo, but "timeless"...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Maroon/Burgundy is a fine color and with black fenders pulls off the 2 tone while being subtle. It is a rather traditional combo, but "timeless"...

Agreed Well said, you should write copy.

Sorry, words need to come out...

Yesterday when I realized how difficult just coming up with a smooth, symmetrical rear view edit was going to be... thats in between the first, solid blue, screen pic... and the first green one... I bet you guys could tell... my mind switched into struggle mode. I tried to hang onto the happy calm best I could but that just comes and goes and I push work through either way at home or at the shop. If my out flow of project stuff wasn't there, I couldn't expect to even have you two put up with my crap.

After I mow and wash up, I'll probably continue. Almost did a stupid move today, already. Coming back from the one place that won't rip you off on a good breakfast just now, the closest parts store was handy and I thought of oil for the black cars so I stopped in.

O'Reilly's wanted over two hours gross pay for one jug. I walked out muttering amongst myselves. At WalMart, that would buy two plus breakfast. How can this possibly be legal? Is WalMart Valvoline like tires at Sam's? You know, looks same but ain't. This area is where WalMart lives, but the stores are not there for english-speaking whites so I stay clear. My lack of understanding is at a fevered pitch and I yearn for a campfire and horse and starry sky. A swimming hole with some girls would also do. I gotta find a grip, man. Other dudes at work take time off, whats my deal? Hopefully the random mood switch flips itself back today, this on-and-off bleak outlook crap will be the death of me. Whew. I don't know how long the DD will have to wait for oil but I need new socks too. Yuck!

I appreciate the kind tolerance, guys. Have you ever known anyone who did good work that wasn't a little batty one way or another? Yeah, naw. I should be back able to fake "normal" after chores. Hang loose and later on we'll see some tires and a tag pocket anyhow. I'll come up with something. Blah blahblah
Old 07-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Grand Prix User

... and thar she blows.

That was hardcore. Hope its good for something. I know our hero wil dig hell outta that.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:27 PM
Grand Prix User

He hey, where you going? Bye bye, weekend. Spent about half of it doing this.

Here is the one boss wants, and its supposed to be shiny but he said the green looked good so... Voila! Polish it with your imagination. Yes, the rearend is tan and the artistic license plate is all me. Made more sense with the quad .50 crosshair type wire spark arrestors in the exhaust tips. They kept disappearing when I resized so I nixed 'em. And I grew weary of the Coyote tag because I watch Cisco kid so much. On there, a coyote is a most heinous criminal.

Maybe a dirty rat will be behind it one day and get scared. I just need a fresh jug of midnight oil, man. That julienned fender is probably still in my stall. Argh.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:15 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,649 Times in 2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
He hey, where you going? Bye bye, weekend. Spent about half of it doing this.

Here is the one boss wants, and its supposed to be shiny but he said the green looked good so... Voila! Polish it with your imagination. Yes, the rearend is tan and the artistic license plate is all me. Made more sense with the quad .50 crosshair type wire spark arrestors in the exhaust tips. They kept disappearing when I resized so I nixed 'em. And I grew weary of the Coyote tag because I watch Cisco kid so much. On there, a coyote is a most heinous criminal.

Maybe a dirty rat will be behind it one day and get scared. I just need a fresh jug of midnight oil, man. That julienned fender is probably still in my stall. Argh.

1 vote for one tone........not that it counts for anything.

You effort looks good. Love the plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 06:59 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
1 vote for one tone........not that it counts for anything.

You effort looks good. Love the plate.
Boss came off the tan fenders push, these edits are useful to him. Still wants tan engine and chassis though. I always want to know what folks think of the ideas. Paint is a long way off still though.

And thanks... the one solid color seems to be the better choice thank goodness. If I can start getting smoother looking paint going, I'll start calling these renderings and price gouge... thats the idea anyway.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Grand Prix User

As planned, except no screws needed. Got a few clamp marks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-22-2019), John long (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:13 PM

Well hellsbells, that didn't take much. I was cringing at the thought of duplicating the other side. What's a few clamp marks when it co-operated that nicely.
Looks good from here...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
John long (07-22-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in