The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 106 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,247 Times in 3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Well hellsbells, that didn't take much. I was cringing at the thought of duplicating the other side. What's a few clamp marks when it co-operated that nicely.
Looks good from here...
Sho nuf, it didn't put up a fight at all. I enjoy dreading... or vise versa. There may be splitting of hairs later I suppose, but if Life approves I musta nailed it. I want him to have a peek before I go hog wild.

Happy IDJ-

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Grand Prix User

Well, I'm sitting in my "Model P" outside the shop watching traffic go by. An epic amount thereof. The five lane highway I need to get on must be down to one lane. Have not seen the helicopter so maybe thats good news but obviously theres a giant wreck. Re-routing traffic down this parallel road which follows the old telegraph wire and stagecoach trail. From the flow I see, maybe southbound is open now but getting across to go south, who knows. Two women in a Pontiac were killed out there awhile back. Not too hot out today so I'll let it pass while I do this...

Did not pass muster with Mike or Gary, I had posted the best of 3 pics and other angles still showed too much crown, but out in the center. By the time Mike looked, I was working that down. It grew, too. Lengthened mainly just cross cuts in the middle where the most overlap was removed. Heres an uglier, more realistic view of that going on-

End of day-

I think that is looking pretty good. I put some tape marks on the shop floor to help me eyeball consistently. I could tell that Mike was seeing more wrong than just the crown but wasn't saying it because he couldn't put his finger on it. I was the same way. Finally, he spoke it:

"Wutchew gonna do about the width?" sez he. I explained how the quarters are the only unverified variable and that I was ignoring the wonked look of them at this time for that reason. Soon as the crown took shape and I had to go to the next level of eyeball precision (looking past a stir stick held vertical), aha I spotted it. Maybe you can to. This is end of day and it is partially corrected-

At this point, the fender crowns match well as you walk up on the car so I think it is good to go or close to it. To see the newfound issue look at that and the lunch pic, or any other rear view. I even noticed the issue when doing edits and templates but had not pinpointed it. Fender crown being improved let me see it.

The outward distance of the main body line from the trunk side bead is narrower and straighter than the other. Yes, it had been caved right there at some point so now we see less of one fender up at the top. Like the trunk gutter held still while the quarter got pancaked somewhat from a fender hit. It rolled the area between trunk bead and body line gently, hence the optical confusion.

I spent oh maybe a half hour starting to un-crown that wedge shaped area to get the line back out. Then it was time to go sit in the parking lot and post, so there you go. Another day's work. Wanted to weld up the fender but am glad about pinpointing this so no worry, just another de-rail on something that needs doing. If I end up needing to adjust the quarter's in and out position at the tub, it is only tacked.

Nuf uv dat. Fastback in final prime here, fine tuning gaps-

Cat progress-

So, now that traffic has cleared and I shoulda been home a half hour ago... and since this is a sack race weeknight (racing to do everything and go to bed)... I think I'll skip the PC tonight although I want to do an updated side view of the A rendering.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-22-2019), Gearhead Poppa (07-22-2019), John long (07-25-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Grand Prix User

Theres another problem with one of the rear fenders that is comparable to the size of this issue but I cannot illustrate or locate it with them on the car. This has to be complete first.

123pugsy (07-23-2019), 496CHEVY3100 (07-23-2019), Gearhead Poppa (07-23-2019)

Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 PM
Grand Prix User

The aforementioned alleged other issue is a half inch difference in wheel opening lip height, from side-to-side and measured at the highest point. To correct, if the mismatch is found to be on the fenders that means cutting above one lip and relocating it. If the difference is found to be on the quarter panels, that means doing same to one fender bead on a quarter. Or ignoring it if instructed to do so when presenting the issue.

Eventually I will check distance from CL of the quarters' fender opening beads as well and correct as needed. Fenders can now be mounted with quarters off if need be for evaluation and correction.

I proceeded to the 2" 36 grit twist lock disc stage of grinding the left rear fender's face side then removed it and the angled reinforcing strip on the tub. Clamped fender to workbench after that and smoothed the weld on the interior side to the same degree as the exterior due to the need for planishing. This pic is after just knocking off the MIG wire that stuck out-

Before reinstalling it sans reinforcing strip to allow marking locations of the fender mounting bolts' washers on the fenders, I notched the roll pan for fender and tub. Also, in order to provide adequate length of slots for adjustment relative to the tub only, I welded shims on as extensions as shown here-

Having reattached and adjusted the fender, I spent about four minutes straightening / planishing and another sanding so you can see how it looks. No reassessment of the contour being altered was done at this time and this is the best I could do on glare-

Underneath the 59 Catalina frame, this is one side of Mike's fore exhaust attachment point, in progress and because the pic was uploaded to answer a member of another forum's question and the possibility of similar interest here. As additional trivia, the exhaust is to be ceramic coated-

123pugsy (07-24-2019), Gearhead Poppa (07-24-2019), John long (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Grand Prix User

the thrill of victory

With wide and bloody grin and a limp in my swagger, missing a piece of ear I emerge victorious. I may have fought tougher fenders, I just can't remember when.

Mike walked past and halted mid-stride volunteering all the confirmation I require. Frankly, if I were a circus elephant this would be the part of the act where I stand on one ear. Right up against the limit of my ability here, I dumped my whole bag of trix on it and got the job done. I dislike situations where bumping both sides simultaneously, off dolly, is required. Works though.

123pugsy (07-24-2019), Gearhead Poppa (07-24-2019), John long (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,954 Times in 2,729 Posts
I was thinking you would need to slice it again, to get that crown out...nice work..
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 07:42 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,631 Times in 2,093 Posts
Sweet......
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Grand Prix User

TMP, its wierd. Theres is so much tension from stamping that when I made cuts, I got the boioioing thing. When I say I stood my skill on it's ear, its not just how to beat the shape but where to cut and how to sneak up on the right contour. Using my "feel for it", I bestimated how much metal to leave and when to stop flattening and start welding. Had I deliberated much, I'd have blown it. If I had to do the other side tomorrow, I might blow that.

Basically, I gave it plenty of forethought then when it came time to do the deed my analytical brain part stepped aside and sang the words to the songs playing, one verse ahead of the radio. Sounds crazy but I am almost an observer who dodges sparks and watches out for the wheel. The hands just go in, play seek and destroy, and I am left wondering how the thing got done. My point is, I had to leave very close to exactly the right amount of metal there, subconsciously calculating that amount. Then weld it and hope for the best. That I can beat it into what it needs to be. This time, well you see. Feels pretty good to the hand.

Glad you guys like it too. There ain't been a single discouraging word.

Pugsy, during planishing I saw two small cracks next to welds where I had left the back side too tall. They will get dots. I only ground tacks maybe the first two rounds and as you saw, I ground the outside after it was all welded. Like I do. I meant to count up how many feet of weld is in that foot by two foot or so area but then I remembered about King Solomon and his take on vanity which is what feet counting kinda seems like.

I don't think I need to prove anything to anyone anymore, you guys know me now and if you did what I do all day, I am sure none of these tasks would confront you either.

It was another off topic personal after work duty sack race day so you get the late edition. That planishing was an all morning and through lunch endeavor. I had to wander around asking myself whats next, to change gears. Three pics tonight, immediately following this message. Thanks, fellows.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Grand Prix User

That was welded in a real hurry, no tacks just beads. The spot where it appears from the backside that I missed completely, near the bolt tab, will probably mostly be trimmed away anyhow. It is still taking shape. I just wanted to see this, and having it welded and bolted makes a better log entry than tacked only. So I did the zippity doo da on it.

Does look nifty, to me. Thanx for choking down so many words with so few pix.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-25-2019), John long (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:12 PM

I KNEW you were going to fill in that gap.
Pretty slick using a fender shim as an adjustable bolt slot...I'll have to try to remember that trick..
John long (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
I KNEW you were going to fill in that gap.
Pretty slick using a fender shim as an adjustable bolt slot...I'll have to try to remember that trick..
Gee whiz, I hope nobody thought I'd not fill in that corner. The other side kinda has the fender wrapping around the pan a little but I want that flat like this one so the pan end will get some trimming. Still a rough sketch and I am trying not to wear out my eraser. $$$

Fender bolt row makes a turn and has two or three bolts in a horizontal line at the rear, thats the plan indicated by the Sharpie circles.

The shim thing I was a bit ashamed of because I had already extended the bolt hole edge but was not referencing tub-to-lip distance, but qtr-to-lip. Derp. Shims just popped into my head and we had them. Of course because of my reinf strip being in the way, I could not mark the fender itself with it installed. So by leaving it off, I was able to mark the shims. I trimmed them once it was back off and now it should fit with the strip on. But I ought to fill in between shims where they stick out from the edge now. At this time, the two end bolts are holes but the rest are slots. I am not sure exactly what it will end up like but I am sure you'll see.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Grand Prix User

Steering rack to crankshaft pulley clearance on the Cat is only about 1/8".

Heres an angle you ain't seen-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-25-2019), Too Many Projects (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:51 PM

They might want to shim the motor mounts to block another .125 for a little safety cushion.
Nice panoramic pic of the shop, gets a bigger view of all the action.
idrivejunk (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
They might want to shim the motor mounts to block another .125 for a little safety cushion.
Nice panoramic pic of the shop, gets a bigger view of all the action.
If that sedan delivery ever moves, it will blow my cover.

They Mike has slotted stuff but theres zilch for hood clearance also. Its where it has to be. My thought was how thick is that rack body casting. I just don't know if he kept in mind that I built a half inch body drop into it so it could be shimmed up to that amount. That was supposed to help. I've learned to trust but dang that is close.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:50 PM
Grand Prix User

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-26-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in