The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 115 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2019, 03:14 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,778 Times in 2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
I mocked up the idea I have been carrying around for a year. For a hood side with removable rainy day cover insert. Yes I traced it off a Mustang quarter.

Remember, the engine may move back 3" or so.

This is interesting.....I may be buying what you're selling.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (08-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,416 Times in 3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
This is interesting.....I may be buying what you're selling.....
Sorry, sir. I'm afraid we're fresh out of that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:40 PM
Grand Prix User

Perhaps you would like to see something in a slot then would you, sir? As in the pro rendering but reality vs expectation-

That not to your liking as well? Alright then. Here we have an airy floor plan and a simple construction of two equal width slats at top and bottom and quite plain, "boxy" (haha) end covers that become part of a shroud and firewall access panel cover. Call it a Coyote Crate, if you will. Can't choose from one, I always say. May I wrap this one for you then?

Other balderdash, ballyhoo and what not. Cheerio, pip pip. Whats all this, then? Let's be moving along, gents. Nothing to see here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-30-2019), Gearhead Poppa (08-29-2019)

Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,761 Posts
If the engine moves back 3 ", all your renderings may be unnecessary. It wouldn't take more than a bump out on a louvered panel. The left side, with the picture window, is interesting. Plexiglass rain panel to keep the visual stimulation.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
If the engine moves back 3 ", all your renderings may be unnecessary. It wouldn't take more than a bump out on a louvered panel. The left side, with the picture window, is interesting. Plexiglass rain panel to keep the visual stimulation.

That 3" may not help as much as you might be thinking. The engine won't get skinnier, so the rear of the required stickout won't move forward. Accessories are not all in place and I went pretty tight around the front so moving the mill back just makes what I mocked up more realistically feasible. Mike had a teardrop bumpout started but it was way too small. All renderings are pretty much in vain but I did do some hood ones early on. People just can't seem to make the leap of imagination from them so doing it this way is the only other way I know.

If you look closely at the big window one, driver's side, you'll see a harness clip and bracket stud right out front at top and bottom. The sides have different clearance needs, as yet unknown. I have just provided three flexible style and construction options. The general consensus is nobody wants hood sides at all. But the hood seal material question can't be answered, and thusly the cowl cannot be designed, until a functional, sensible hood side has been agreed upon and it's validity verified for both sides... or no hood sides has been agreed upon. So if he moves the engine back, I just slice and shuffle the opening in the mock up if needed. It gets even more complicated. Engine setback amount will be dictated by how far back, left, and high up the owner can tolerate the gas pedal.

But you know, affluent individuals want to browse styles and colors before reality can be considered. By someone else. So cart before horse.

Hood sides are considered ugly and everyone likes to see the whole valve cover but no intake. The powers that be can't choose welting or weatherstrip until hood sides have been chased to a conclusion. Theres pretty much just the gas flap left to figure out before I am ready to tear it down and finish, so I am trying to speed that process the hell up. Everybody will sit there like a bump on a log until I repeat "Decide this now, please" enough times. My words tend to flow freely in one ear and out the other but we are busy.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 PM
Grand Prix User

Seems like it was a panty liner day, on the forum. (light flow)

So I'll slide in here on the tail of it with a couple semi-relevant images.

In February 2012 I started on a '31 Model A job, finishing metal work and doing fill / prime. Another set of stories and pics under the bridge. But it was unusual in that fenders, boards, aprons, and body had been welded as a unit mounted on a rotisserie.

When I began to think front fender braces on our current A job, I pondered and inquired about how others solve that. Just now got curious enough to open the folder and find one man's answer... as with the rest of that car... weld. They jammed brace against fender and welded the entire perimeter directly to the fender. My forward-tweaked ones would not meet up like that. Thank goodness! Can be seen in this photo, sort of-

This is the car in November of that year. Yes, it went to SEMA. Anyhow, these are the "motorcycle" headlights that Gary is keen on for this car. I suggested this week to him that we bracket whatever headlamps we use through the fender to the shock tower top mount pad or to the brace reinforcement. In order to save space inside the grille shell by eliminating those wires and additional bracing, and provide a firmer base for the lamps.

While I am here doing this, here is another job from between then and now which I did extensive metal work to. Its the one where I filled the roof insert hole with a 68 Camaro roof section. It was also my first hidden hinge install, and now you have seen the extent of my prewar Ford experience, 3 jobs. This 33 is done and gorgeous but right here you are seeing it as good as I have, finished. That customer stopped in briefly this week, and boss got me this pic. Good boss man. We will see it again later, it needs some touch up.

Also... speaking of extensive metal work, I had posted a link to an online article on this red '60 Chevy job but the article disappeared or the link went to the wrong one after the first day. Don't know what happened there but Gary ordered us some print mags online, to have as momentos. Heres proof it ever happened-

I may now have enough imagery to concoct a computer rendering of ole Olive's front end (the one I am working on now). Imagery is one thing, inclination is another matter entire. Here are four hood side variants I rendered in March that I guarantee are forgotten. And why not? That was charity work, all done at home for no cost. As "practice".

123pugsy (08-31-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 09:44 PM
Grand Prix User

I moved bolt holes in the fenders to put the left running board farther inward to match up the outside edges.

Much taper at the front gap-

Hmm, I have bolts holding the upright part of the apron but they are behind it actually. See the holes peeking out ahead of the fender?

Up front, see the two bolt heads on top of the fender? L bracket to frame underneath. Lines up but sits out from the rail.

Ok, that means its time to get the fenders tucked under the grille shell. Revised brackets for shell (all inside rail now), remove grille and left fender, flattened out where I bent fenders to go around grille, trimmed fenders to clear where brackets interfered and to clear the drop down at bottom of shell. Re tacked shell at hood, bolted at brackets. Now, as an additional check for yaw in the fender position I got the filler below the grille to meet everywhere.

The fender bracket now sits against the frame, lined up with the holes. The board front gap now looks like this-

Even. That tells me to undo bolts holding rear fender to apron then bolt this end, then try those again. The board needs to come forward but the rear fender is holding it. Thats where I ran out of time today. That one bolt to the board. The pic of the front shows that some twisting or tweaking of fender fronts may be in order, to make that lower filler follow center. I ought to double check center line on the grille shell soon. Trimmed as little as possible off bottom of grille at mount area so it fits tight against the fender for now. Nope, the engine didn't move back over the weekend. Shuckydarns.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-04-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-04-2019), John long (09-04-2019), Too Many Projects (09-03-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Grand Prix User

I have the funky shaped seam where fender meets apron fitting OK, fender bracket tacked to rail and all that is fine. There is still some wedge to the gap. Apron is loose from fender at rear so I am set to tighten bolts at front of board and see where it lands. The tail flange of the front fender at bolt row has another layer so moving that line at rear of fender would take a little work.

I figure its gonna take an act of congress for someone to spec a hood seal type. But, showed Mike the Mustang hood side. Hit. Solid hit too, might leave the park. Gary also likes it so cool. I was prompted to show a couple quick thoughts I had on emblems for if a guy was to want something-

While I had Life cereal cornered, he shared some info I did not have. On the "big window" hood side version from last week, he pointed at the harness hook on top and bolt boss down low and said both will go away. Plan is to chop boss off head. So I figured there was enough minutes before lunch to provide TMP with this "Told ya so" version.

So

That has potential but a rectangle really doesn't. For this guy. Mustang scallop smokes that though. For looks. It may come down to money on that. All I gotta know is enough to make a seal bed.

I threw out some ideas for down low, ahead of the grille, and got favorable response to some of that as well. Gotta remember to mock up what I conjured in my mind. It sees the car with everything else done as tastefully modified with rear fenders as they are and Mustang hood sides. Good balance of focal attractions, that. Even if nothing else stands out. I think its going to be a pretty neat personality on this little unit when it hits the street. Purposeful, agile, no excuses needed. Hell yeah!
123pugsy (09-04-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Grand Prix User

Oh. And Mike was of a mind to "see if" he can move the engine back any. If so more like one inch. We discussed nuclear options for if it just gets too crowded up around the radiator.
123pugsy (09-04-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Grand Prix User

it morphed...

Stuff I have no part in-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-05-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-04-2019), Too Many Projects (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Grand Prix User

Starting on gas flap. Running board brackets... only two pitted ones present. Too short all around plus interfere with aprons. Rather than try to sort that out, boss says let's make them. Mike looked at the fit for a few and concluded same. I have my eye on some smallish, thick, square tubing.

In the meantime, I cut the new gas door up to begin implementing my plan. Made a quick tater chip looking flap off my tape pattern, which is the teardrop shape minus a flat side. The new part of course has the bend all wrong, thats why it won't be used.

Hinge goes somewhere hereabouts, most crowded spot on the car-

With a 4" cutoff wheel, half worn out-

My qwik flap-

That will be OK for general fitting, to keep this cutout from harm. Might us it just like this-

123pugsy (09-05-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-05-2019), John long (09-10-2019), Too Many Projects (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Grand Prix User

Made brkt to screw to the stump of the arm where I cut the weld pad and lid off. This will also allow the lid to be removable at the arm if it works out. Here at this stage, the "practice" flap comes in handy because I can use screws through it. They say do not weld on the lid and hinge because theres a magnet for closing. Another reason for bracket held with screws.

After blind stab in the dark #1, I un-tacked and set the provided and now quite bent hinge bracket aside. Try #2, with scrap brackets did not make it far enough for a closed pic. Out of time, but here is what I have now. Nowhere near what I envisioned yet, but a couple baby steps closer to the other end of this task.

First shot is about the nozzle angle I estimate.

It is actually almost all the way open in these pix.

123pugsy (09-05-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-05-2019), John long (09-10-2019), Too Many Projects (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Grand Prix User

123pugsy (09-09-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,761 Posts
You better patent that one...people will be copying it. The travel of the lid, out of the way of the nozzle, is tremendous. Very nice access..
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Grand Prix User

Glad you like it. Had me a nifty idea about park / turn lamps up front today and I almost want to make an image of it. I think it has enough potential.

The magnetic gas flap latch is the kind where you push the lid down a little and it pops up. Like a stereo cabinet or entertainment center's glass door. So I may need to twist the bracket a bit once the neck and pocket are in and I can see how much. For the same reason, the open position might not be quite as wide. I envisioned the hinge closer to nine o clock position but not everything cleared until it was stuffed in the bottom front corner.

How it turned out is pretty nifty if you ask me. My practice lid didn't miss the shape by much but I did have to weld up some practice holes in it.

Getting started on running board brackets-

123pugsy (09-10-2019), Gearhead Poppa (09-09-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in