The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 17 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2018, 07:32 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,773 Times in 2,637 Posts

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-28-2018), Hipster_G (08-28-2018), idrivejunk (08-28-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,704 Times in 4,310 Posts
Yeow!

Brian
Old 08-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,773 Times in 2,637 Posts
You can see the base of the pole 25 ft behind the car. The only way I can think it would've gotten going fast enough to do that would be to come down a steep grade and lose it's brakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (08-28-2018)

Old 08-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Exactamundo.

I am making headway but slowly. Right now I wish I had any valid reference for width of the rockers, theres just nothing to go by and guesses are time consuming. The door and post are more steady after connecting more stuff to the rocker. Still nothing I want to take a pic of and it looks about same. Door structure plan did break it's egg but is slow to get on it's feet. However, a great big chunk of the cabin inner structure appeared to me so I got out the chop saw and another stick of 1x3". Kinda bouncing around, seeking order among chaos and sooner or later poof it will all make sense and be in the car.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:32 PM

http://www.motormayhem.net/wp-upload...0-31-coupe.jpg

this may help you.............
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTFORD For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFORD View Post
Its a good thing this is a forum or you might find my reaction to that to be overly appreciative. Thanks gobs for that because I see a couple things there that yeah, are very timely references. Spooky, man. Have a look at this first image which I just drew because I'm dreading trying to verbally give directions that follow the path last couple days.

There was an unsettling personal situation rattling my nerves last several days but then partway through today there was a eureka moment. Focus returned and backlogged thoughts surfaced quickly from then on. After that, taking things one at a time was the challenge. I am back to being excited after being a little concerned about a mental block taking shape. I'm learning this is just how my mind works, the complex stuff happens in the background while hands zap and hammer and I hum.

Then it hits like a double bacon cheeseburger, oh!

So I took a monster mental image dump so complex and colorful its better just to sketch it because it won't flush. This will help you guys see past the fixture in photos and shows the current state plus rough thoughts on things not yet made. Roof structure and fixture are still absent, on purpose. Stand by for regular programming plus a small bonus. Take the drawing over by the punch if you want, I'll be a few.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Grand Prix User

Recess! Drag race you to the monkey bars. Me first, 1,2,GO!

I am gonna do you all a favor and shut up. Heres the ol' lookaround, and I left off positioning the passenger side of the cowl so not ready for detail shot.

Something to keep in mind is camera distortion, I think I get some fisheye lens effect. Case and point... with two pallet boards shoved under the cowl as shown, that angle finder on the right A post happens to say 90 while the other is 87. Bolt hole shuffle is incomplete at cowl to rocker but my point is... that windshield angle does not look like its perpendicular but suprise suprise, it is. So just bear that in mind because I know no way to counter the effect.

If I can hit the highlights of the week so far in written format so you can follow the story, I'll post that explanation along with a couple other project shots directly. I still operate with the opinion that the pictures explain the words, not vise versa. But I get wordy and realize that. See how I said I would shut up but am still at it paragraphs later?

Check back.

Oh, I need another refill first. Ah. OK... Is anybody in the bathroom?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Grand Prix User

Hey! No sniffing your freshly lithographed Model A body diagrams, boys.

Mitch if you'll pass those back please... Thank you.

John, since you sit close to the door all the time would you switch the lights back on?

Rip, we can turn off the overhead projector now. Good job!

Brian, where are... oh that guy is always late.

Pugsy would you roll up the screen and bring the transparencies to my desk please?

FAST, raise the blinds please sir and would everyone take out their notebooks now. Shhh

Forgive me, making up for yesterday's slack.

Monday I went in knowing I had what I call do-able gap space around the left door but not being quite comfortable with the hinge geometry and sync. Probably needing to move a hinge tube plus both pockets to keep the hinge from bottoming out before door is closed. But I had tabbed the door shut in a good spot.

My own fixture was right in the way of door to hinge bolts with it shut. I worked around that for awhile, but doggone it the whole thing was too floppy and nothing would stay.

I had grunted out an idea to tie hinges to each other so went to work on that. Well the fixture was in the way at every turn on that. I made two Ls by splitting 14ga 1x3" diagonally lengthwise. Cut too fast and had a little warpage, woops. Bent straight. But I tacked them in just to tie the hinge pockets. They will become part of the shell but are inside out and or bassackwards from the planned orientation. Its OK.

That helped the hinge area of the door hold still but the B pillar was all over the place. I still have not tied those together at the tops. Being indecisive, I altered course to buy digestion time for ideas.

Made a cardboard template of the door / quarter gap while myself and I teeter-tottered back and forth over ways to form the weatherstrip support piece that will box in where the hinge tubes stick out the front of the B pillars. Before deciding, the timer dinged on my squirmy door aperture dilemma. Angle iron between the pillars to hold their spacing, yeah!

So I added that, high and low. Again, adjusted door gap and tabbed it on. Oh. The angle iron is really really in the way of the door bolts. Well, crap it was quitting time. Only other thing I got done was straighten up door jamb nastys where hinges were.

Thats how Monday ended. Swung my knee right into a piece of the fixture climbing into the cabin once along in there so I was glad it was over.

Anybody ready for a refill? I ain't letting it go to waste, I gotta talk one more post then we can all bail and be caught up. If I am gonna chop by the weekend, its gonna start moving. Hang on-
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (08-29-2018), John long (08-28-2018), Rip VW (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Grand Prix User

Today's first words: Hello, knee. Whew, actually just above ths knee thank goodness. It loosened up as the day went by but it said hello back a few times during the day.

Went in , turned on the tunes and gravitated to the bottom of the door to cowl gap. Realized the cowl side could still twist and that affects stuff. I began to worry about my progress a little, but did not go whack the idea box like Fonzie might have.

I took the left rocker loose and moved it forward to match the cowl then grabbed the quarter patch to move that front edge and buy more idea time. That worked!

Now ever so slightly victorious, I took it back to the A and sat there trying it back on and grinding off clearance for the rocker that somehow had mysteriously appeared.

Luckily, logic prevailed before I made a mess. Why is this hitting now? Oh! Earlier...

Between moving the rocker and moving the bend on the patch I had, guessing, spaced the B pillar bottoms 3" from the jig because thats where they both seemed comfy. But since we suspected the old rockers were installed too close together because of how it fits the frame... I nudged them out just past comfy. And tacked plates to the jig to hold them. Then I firmly bolted pillar to rocker.

Must be too far out. Patch no longer fits. OK, trim the plates. But to where?

Then came the aha...
Old 08-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Grand Prix User

Fitting the chassis, they had cut the wheelwell sections out of the rockers. But I have them. I wonder if... yep these were all one long piece. If I reattach it squarely to the front section but add half an inch...

Since it is pinned by a bolt at the cowl, I should be able to swing the rocker into proper alignment like a minute hand laying flat. When I have it pointed directly at the stub at the tail, thats where it goes.

And that, in my best extrapolated theory, would position the B pillar bottom just right as intended. I went with it. Turns out my extra half inch nudge outward on each side was not needed. Things fell into place after I trimmed the jig plates to space the pillars out 2 1/2" from it.

Before trying the patch back on, I sprinted to the other side and got the cowl loose and spaced forward. Held the door up there a couple times just by hand and developed the suspicion that theres a tad of fore-aft matching of car sides to do. The angle meter was telling me when the windshield post tops match. They pivot on the dash attaching point so that affects hole alignment at cowl to rocker.

Did I mention this being a complex task? Dango dang man. Anyhow, it was Pontiac time then (4:55) so I hastily took pics and hauled butt across town in my blown Pontiac DD which washes all the chaos away. But I feel like I'm in good shape now. Thanks for your participation. Instead of homework, heres the neglected 59 job, painter's baby E9 track car, and dang if Footloose Jr hasn't gotten nice gaps all around a square Bronco that has a fiberglass body tub and everything else steel. That was not pretty, he did good to wade through that and win, wow!

Drive safe now. Remember, long weekend ahead! Sip on the posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-29-2018), Gearhead Poppa (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Grand Prix User

I said lithograph, lol. I think I meant mimeograph. Not sure when the weekend is gonna start but I am rea-dy!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 PM
Grand Prix User

Tomorrow is "Friday". This morning I got the right hinge and post assembly together and should have gap for flush door. Should be able to hang a door after another hour to remove the old hinges and handle. The using cut rocker chunk for reference ain't enough on this side though because they were installed so out of place. I went to match sides on overall length of the body and had half inch variation. Shortened the right quarter to compensate, with a friction jack. As it turns out, I think I need to put that back where it was and lengthen the left instead. The clues are misleading. If I can get a right door in the hole, I believe I'll set the body on the chassis with no pan or floor braces. I'll feel ready to chop if the body width jives with the chassis and can put a couple braces in while the chassis aligns with rockers to where body mount bolts line up somewhat.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:42 PM
Grand Prix User

At the end of this day I feel a little serious so cutting the crap and keeping it clean, I'll put it this way-

Right now is like the point in a fistfight with a stranger where you must decide to either give up or kill him.

I've tried the less invasive tactics such as using existing pillars and rockers and gently coaxing the quarters. Thats bringing a knife to a gunfight. I only see one course of action.

That is to discard B pillars and rockers. Gone, done. Next is to attach the quarters to each other with nothing in between on a free standing jig so that their comparative measurements can be matched up. Once the quarter skins match, I can proceed. Anything else is burning daylight. My best efforts at negotiating with the car have failed.

This was this morning, and I did put it back where it was. Stayed on right side, did not mess with left.

This must have been lunch because theres bolts and brackets galore holding the pillar bottom now. I eventually just reefed on it with my big channel locks and twisted the bejeepers outta that sucker to make it obey. Resistance is futile, right? Between that and drilling off old hinges like a madman, you guessed it, wrist. It was so humid safety glasses were a no-go and clothes were sweat soaked. I predict rusty handprints.

I spent most of the afternoon right there. Assembling hinge post and B pillar just as the other side, the hinges (in closed position) point too far outward. Driver's side points at the inside edge of the A pillar. In the first hour of drastic measures, I got them pointing at the middle of the A post. Second hour got them almost like the other side. The two hours were spent trying to twist the pillar and make it stay. And I won that battle.

Visible and audible frustration began after I run hurry ran to remove old hinges from the door. Despite my best caution, I snapped off another of my drill bits that I use a lot. That hit me like a redo does a painter because now theres no drilling that one off, either. Of course boss walks by while I'm gushing sweat and cussing about tools.

The rock always wins, hinge was off in a jif. When this door handle also fought me I did not hesitate just started cutting up latch and yanking until it was out then straightened the aftermath. I was in walking razor blade mode by then. The bull had entered the china shop at that point, so to speak.

Really really wanted to put up tools and sweep but if I had, the last one minute opportunity to place the door on the car would have been missed. Already had door cut for pockets and pockets bolted to hinges so I had to know...

Crap. If I line up the body line, I'm into the drip rail. Takepicspeewashhands zoom zoom to rush out the door and another zoom hour to get home... and yeah... Only way I can win is to go nuke and blow away everything not original plus everything original except skins, basically. I had to be at this point to see how bad it is and its just bad. If I use the front half of the left quarter as reference for the rear and vise versa, well that would be a start. There will be no top chop this week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-30-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:20 PM
Grand Prix User

About the 59 Catalina... far as we know, our guy flaked out because nobody knows where he is since Monday noon. Good ole chassis man started on the back bumper and exhaust outlets task. And I am on the one he made the floor for. Fortunately, other capable hands are available and until we hear something we assume nothing about the guy. Experience lets us move past that situation fairly quick with another guy though. I know him as well as anybody and bet we don't see him again. Rod shop drama.

Will try to get some shots of bumper doings tomorrow.

Last one to leave, please put the cat out. No punch for me, I need water tonight. One day to go then I can have some rest.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Grand Prix User

Messed up the pic post at the end and didn't catch it to edit. Meant to say if I could reference the rear half of one quarter and the front of the other, then I'd have a crappy reference but beats what I have now. Is there such thing as a thinking nightcap I could use? I got no idea where tomorrow will lead other than bed so I'm off to practice that now since I've made my correction. Thanks for dropping in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« My junk | - »