The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 18 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2018, 09:10 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

IDJ,
I am just memory junking, but what about picking a matching point about mid panel on the quarter, and then see what your difference is front and rear. maybe use the window openings to measure from!

find a point to easily identify and duplicate by measurement and mark that point and use that for a reference. I would bet that the two quarters are quite different in length. You could then set the B pillar where it needs to be and then massage the quarter to fit the B pillar. Once you get both pillars equil and set the distance you need from the A pillar to the B then set the door.

Be careful of assumptions that the factory door is correct to the print as I am dealing with that on my T now!

Now for my disclaimer: Some or all parts of this idea were the result of purely random thoughts hodge podge, mixed, and strained thru a Leslie.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (08-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 09:31 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,797 Times in 2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
IDJ,
I am just memory junking, but what about picking a matching point about mid panel on the quarter, and then see what your difference is front and rear. maybe use the window openings to measure from!

find a point to easily identify and duplicate by measurement and mark that point and use that for a reference. I would bet that the two quarters are quite different in length. You could then set the B pillar where it needs to be and then massage the quarter to fit the B pillar. Once you get both pillars equil and set the distance you need from the A pillar to the B then set the door.

Be careful of assumptions that the factory door is correct to the print as I am dealing with that on my T now!

Now for my disclaimer: Some or all parts of this idea were the result of purely random thoughts hodge podge, mixed, and strained thru a Leslie.
Doors are fairly equal in size on this one, heck they could swap sides I bet. I do appreciate your thoughts, sir.

This (what you said) is not only what I just finished explaining, its what I have been doing the whole time. Curvature at the front edge of the quarter can be easily manipulated to match door. I know the words get passed over a lot but yesterday there was even a picture with dots. Can't make it much more clear that I understand the importance of measuring. I did fix wrecks that had to be within a collective 3mm variation to get paid... for a decade and left with a fine reputation.

What I am suggesting is something like bolting the quarters together at the rear window panel flanges with a freestanding fixture sandwiched there. So that I can establish a center plane from which I can comparatively measure any given point. Once I have the big picture from that, I can determine what to correct and decide how. I would not mind having just rear window panel and cowl on the big fixture, with rockers and pan laying on the body dolly... and just going up to it with a quarter and door assembly and setting it on and connecting it then disassembling the fixture. All that has to be history before I cut the roof though.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (08-29-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

IDJ,

I think I misunderstood what you were saying the other day. I thought it was a length problem. Actually the rear window flanges would be a great way of getting the start.. I do not envy your position but it sounds like you are doing good and getting it slowly together.

Today I am hobbling along as I must have had a wire wheel wire drop into my sock and into my shoe. Somehow the wire worked itself up to between my toes. It then embedded itself deep. My foot started hurting yesterday afternoon but I basically ignored it. Sometime during the night I woke with it hurting like He??. When I got up I had the wife look at the area as it was all read and puffy. She spotted the wire just barely visible. She thought it was small until she pulled it and sent me into the ceiling. The darn thing was over a 1/4 in in length and felt like it was an inch in diameter. It was completely embedded with just the tiniest of bit showing.. So now It already feels better. I am out to the shop to fit #2 door skin. It's the last thing to do before epoxy prime. After that final install and weld up.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Grand Prix User

Well Rip I'm glad I only got mildly defensive because even in person they say I can be tough to understand. The wire story,, (tend that wound diligently, sir) reminded me of a time when my folks told me my cat had been sneezing a lot while I was at work. Poor thing had a blade of grass appear, protruding from a nostril. Dad gently dragged it out and it dragged out the ends of a couple more. He said if ever a cat had a readable facial expression, it was then. Of gratitude! Thats what ya get for eating grass to puke.

So y'all might have guessed that a cooler head would have a different story today. Not backing away from matching up quarters or fabbed rockers and maybe pillars, those things are still going to happen but instead of tearing it apart first thing I had a go at getting door in hole without being all analytical about it.

Well, I'll be dipped, it went. After I took the roof side loose.

I had measured the length of the door and compared and all, but not quite all. Have a closer look at it from the belt up.

You can put a straightedge along the door edge and instantly spot it but I had not done that. The top half of the door's perimeter is pitched forward, fairly severely.

No ideas how that happened, whether its damage or original but I reckon it mighta happened when the tree fell on it or whatever. So this is where I am now. Always feel better after I find something like that!

Took a couple hours to clean up and had a good briefing over the Cat job, as Footloose Sr turned it over to Footloose Jr now. Well they are both kinda on it now. Tape on the bumper is a tenative body color to paint edge, but the bumper may actually be split into like a face bar and valance arrangement. Tailpipe outlets are to be in the bumper tips and I have thrown in my design but the customer ought to decide, and we are due to have him in for a style choices making session.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (09-04-2018), Rip VW (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Grand Prix User

Wow what a contrast from yesterday to today. Clouds came in and that made being there easier for a start. Once I picked up tools and swept and conferred over projects and was writng all that in my log, two old friends snuck right up on me, one from behind. They had been by the junkyard.

One of them was an old boss / coworker and the other an old coworker and ten years ago we worked at the same place and hung out and rode ATVs and junk. Been awhile since I seen Eric. Doing damn good at returning to his old self after a stroke. Fixing cars again.

They saw the A, and the Cat. Old boss is a mopar muscle fan. So he looks at the Cat floor and trunk, pulls his head out and goes "Boy you've come a long way since you was painting for me!"

Painting for you? But I didn't...

Oh yeah, you did. Twenty years ago. Sure enough, when he moved to town and hired on doing bodywork at the fancy body shop close to my house I had just bought... I was in a downdraft bake Blowtherm with Sata NR95s and belt unit/ hood hosing Sikkens all day when it seemed like every other job was three stage. I recall guide coating a nasty note on his mud job once on a Pontiac door, and I backed it from the prep station into his stall while he was getting another job.

I had by default been thinking of the four years or so that I spent doing frame work and a regular crash mix at his shop... ten years ago. It occurred to me he was right... I have done a lot of stuff to a lot of cars around here for a long time. Its adding up.

Clean stall, door being crazy not me, seeing friends, talking out our mutual jobs with the good help, cool front blowing in, not sick, cars not broken, family good, billfold has something in it, four days off and no major crisis... but its raining...

I feel downright placid. Hope the rest of you do as well. Its about time.

Thanks for coming. Tonight's brief, lame, and redundant feature starts in a few minutes so lets get ourselves a treat. Hobnob in the lobby until the music starts and smoke em if you got em. Whats that? Yes when my mood is dark its spiked punch bowl on card table, and when I feel alright its a lobby with full concessions that reeks of $7.50 buttered popcorn. Nothing but the imaginary best for my readers. If all goes well, I plan to add a wet bar and some of those fancy floor ashtrays with IDJ stamped in the sand every 15 minutes. So stick around, and smoke em if you got em.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-31-2018), Gearhead Poppa (08-31-2018), John long (08-30-2018), Rip VW (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Grand Prix User

Ha. Might have oversold that, theres just a handful of pics.

By the time I turned my attention to the A, my iron will to destroy had been bent as told above. Calmly and happily, I approached it like a kid with a boo-boo. Aw there there. Where does it hurt?

When I pulled myself off the car yesterday, my exact stopping point was when, after clamps were holding the door from falling, I turned to look for my air ratchet. I had scooped all (dang near literally) my tools aside in a shameful floor heap along with scraps, screws, parts, and all. Clear over there. To dodge the broom that didn't show.

It was go time. But I wanted real bad to loosen just one screw, at the roof / A pillar holding plate which the door was tucked under. But no time.

Would not have made a difference, in retrospect. Would have taken two more screws for me to have seen the light. Once I took that whole plate off and could overlap at that top right corner... and pushed the door up to match body lines...

Bam. I had done right after all. Indeed, I am my own worst critic / hypochondriac / spaz / whatever. There was the right amount of space for flush fit with gaps, and excluding the top corners, the door fits fine. Sits closer to the drip rail than the other.

One step left because you're looking at a bubble here... can you see how the whole door just turns right north of belt line? Other side is square as you please. Rip was giving me some valid advice by saying watch out for that.

By the way I got word that we will get new pre bent drip rails thank goodness. Those may actually be causing a great deal of trouble I am encountering so I will gladly hack the olds off.

I put tape to help see. Dotted lines here help see where door edge overlaps at top right. If you look closely at this and the above images, you can see lines around the window opening. These revealed that the back of the door window opening is tilted in relation to the rest. Obviously, due to the original overlapped door configuration, door top fit was an area with tons of slop engineered in. And since the overlap covered so much evil, those portions of the panels were likely not considered critical during construction. So here we are.

Just a peek inside here. Forgot to get a pic with both doors open. Work in progress, hinges not tied, soggy bottom doors flappin in the breeze still.

And now-

Ta-da! Catalina has reached the mud man. Epoxy ahoy! Thats Footloose Jr. and I am so glad. He doesn't stop until its a little TOO good. He expressed concern over how tight the gaps are but believe it or not, those are original. I noticed first time I saw it that panel fit was amazingly exact. Giant car, tiny gaps. He will have to keep all fill off the edges but it will look outstanding. Here again though, I have surrounded one pic of something simple with a paragraph of hype, and all thats been done is an exploratory 180 Durablock scoot on one panel. But it looks as though he does have his hands full. A steady stream of progress ought to resume after the break. Thanks for looking, feel free to chitchat or critique and questions are welcome. Failing that, "see" you Tuesday.

Have a pleasant weekend, all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-31-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Grand Prix User

Whats up? Didn't expect to find anybody here at the pic dump clubhouse today. I was out getting mower gas and had to come this way. Thought I would thumbtack this note to the board out front in case anybody pops in to check out the Catalina...

Slick was by the house last night. Thats a relief, we were wondering and had hoped it wasn't jail, morgue, or hospital. It wasn't. He refers to his significant others by numbers for simplicity and theres been a turbulent changing around of numbers because the numbers indicate priority. There was that plus a fat side job which he desperately needed. As long as he's man enough to stay on part time, we need him and he is good. Not being dead means we might see that. He's worked there as long or longer than I have.

Just updating. You guys may have noticed theres three buildings full of cars and no more than a half dozen time cards by the clock. Each man is important, and keepers are hard to find.

Hey, its Saturday... if I cruise by here after dinner and find any of you hanging out... we can all uncork 'em here then go wake up the town tonight. Just sayin'

Later on
Gearhead Poppa (09-01-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Grand Prix User

Making up some door structure on the A today.

Spot where Bryan opened up a tight gap.

Its baaack. Thought I saw the owner of this 67 Datsun last week. The guys just took it out of the storage building into the grey room. I did the bodywork on a rotisserie in 2016 or 7 or... well anyway I think that was my last mud job or close to it. I took it off the frame and got the body to what you see here in I believe final primer. Been so long...

123pugsy (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Grand Prix User

Drip rails came in-

One of those lengths of spilt 1x3" is now inside the corner of the shell. Trimmed to about a half inch along the short side, it jams into the corner right up against the vertical window channel. Looking down ito the door from the top, the hinge bolts must have a close clearance to the glass and this is about as far as they can go in, really just the top hinge pocket depth is the limiting factor. You can see that I have the post moved inward and thats about where it must end up also. You may spot, at bottom left, where I've also moved the pillar out probably another 3/4". That is helping the panel faces flow better.

Work in progress. Its a start. Really won't know how much is stiff enough until the lower door rust has new metal in place.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 PM
Grand Prix User

I'll be putting bumpers on the Datsun in the AM, owner wants to see them on to decide if any tucking is in order.

Catalina owner was by after lunch... Exhaust outlets will simply turn down probably under the bumper end which is the most sensible echo I have heard. Both bumpers get a tuck-n-shave but I don't know where they ended up with putting body color on bottom half of bumper. Door handles get shaved, stock underhood metal work stays. Thats about all the gab I gathered.
Gearhead Poppa (09-04-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:05 AM

[QUOTE=idrivejunk;4618975]
Catalina owner was by after lunch... Exhaust outlets will simply turn down probably under the bumper end which is the most sensible echo I have heard.

I`m not a fan of the turned down exhaust, around here if a show is held in a grass field or has a dirt lane the exhaust blows dirt around. on a hot ,no wind day it makes a dirt cloud hard to avoid which makes breathing difficult besides making all the other cars dusty.

I know, it doesnt matter to anyone else................
Old 09-05-2018, 04:43 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,773 Times in 2,637 Posts
[quote=FASTFORD;4619035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Catalina owner was by after lunch... Exhaust outlets will simply turn down probably under the bumper end which is the most sensible echo I have heard.

I`m not a fan of the turned down exhaust, around here if a show is held in a grass field or has a dirt lane the exhaust blows dirt around. on a hot ,no wind day it makes a dirt cloud hard to avoid which makes breathing difficult besides making all the other cars dusty.

I know, it doesn't matter to anyone else................
We get a number of cars at the big shows with turn downs right at the rear axle and YES, some of them are like a leaf blower ! Usually, turn downs at the rear bumper don't stir up as much dust, but still can.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 AM
Grand Prix User

When I said turn down, I meant like stock stuff has, angled down and slant cut. What bothers me, even since I was a kid, is straight out. Thats the inconsiderate style if you ask me. Ones that puff on your pants leg when you walk by. Dumps is probably what I would call what you guys are talking about, I was thinking more like oh stock CV tailpipes or something. On this car, I don't know why but all appearance items were pretty much off limits as far as me making suggestions. It didn't stop me but I've been powerless to affect any decisions and don't believe a single one of my edited pics or mod ideas were put past the customer. So no worries... if it was something I liked, it definitely will not be used!
Old 09-05-2018, 05:38 AM
Grand Prix User

I'm unsure of proper geriatric vernacular for this as well... I heard they are going to set the headlights back from the bezels just a little. For a tunneled effect. Don't know why but unmodified headlights were never a consideration, to my knowledge.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,773 Times in 2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
When I said turn down, I meant like stock stuff has, angled down and slant cut. What bothers me, even since I was a kid, is straight out. Thats the inconsiderate style if you ask me. Ones that puff on your pants leg when you walk by. Dumps is probably what I would call what you guys are talking about
I knew what you meant and I like slightly turned down and out pipes right under the rear bumper corners.
1969 and up Chevelle SS and GTO, etc had pipes straight out the back, but with a nice chrome end, which is iconic to the Chevelle SS heritage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« My junk | - »