The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 25 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2018, 09:35 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Looks just right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I like the forward rake,keeps it from looking like a phone booth.
Encouraging words Much obliged.

Heres me holding up my end, sort of...

Must have had my tablet sitting on something wrong or whatever but its a dud for tonight. So we have here the condensed version due to beckoning pillow and that.

Cat's eye view- (throwing wicked valve floating imaginary revs here, both tachs spinning like dueling tetherballs)

Now zoom way on out there and feel free to snoop but no bondo cracks of the wise variety please.

NOW... ye seekers of detail, looky-Lous, and fellow choppers can see today's pics sans 'splanations at this simple link and click to enlarge. No time left in day for saying what post is what, and what-not... this day. Will plug it in here later, theres still half a day to go with this gust of progress. Now if you gentlemen would kindly step this way, we can all dodge some paragraphs and get some rest. Thank you will come when tablet works.

A dozen or so pics from today:

Old car body repair pic dump: 18sep

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,013 Times in 2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post

THAT looks so natural, Henry should have built them like it. If I didn't know it had been taller, I would think it was original. Great job !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Grand Prix User

T'was the benefit of prior experience, lending a hand. Mike is only a month older than me, too.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Grand Prix User

Theres not much to show for today. Main focus was on the left roof side and visor but also readjustments where I had not tabbed the door in position strongly enough. Fast as I can, I'll move toward opening the doors once the other side of the visor has been extended. We had the roof on it again and I have some very simple ideas brewing for supports. Thats all the explanation I have in me at the moment.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-28-2018), Gearhead Poppa (09-28-2018), John long (09-28-2018), Rip VW (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:32 PM
Grand Prix User

Alright, I've had my nap, et, cruised the Pontiac, and feel ready to form sentences.

A short summary of the chop how is in order. Predetermined chop amount of 3" front with 2" rear known, I judged the height where I thought the taper of the posts at front and rear of the side (quarter + door) windows could be most easily dealt with and marked a dot in about the middle of each eyeballed chop zone.

Averaging those marks with a 4' straightedge, I drew a line. Then I moved the ruler back until it stuck out at rear, past the roof, and taped it to the body. Leveling and clamping a board against the rear window opening with one end resting on the ruler, I marked the same line on the rear window panel.

Using that line as center, and with the same ruler and board, I marked the wedge shaped chop zone along the side of the car. Making the big rounded rear corner to connect lines on side and rear was done by eyeball with 1/4" tape, then lines were drawn and tape removed.

Wanting to ensure symmetry, I taped inside the chop lines between quarter window and quarter to rear window panel seam and marked those ends on the tape. Theoretically, it would be a perfect wedge shape, but with so much potential for error I just peeled that tape, inverted it and transferred the first side's lines exactly to the second's. They did not have to be perfect but did have to match.

Reason for telling this is because it worked with precision that amazed me. Not like Giza amazement but I cut on those lines and am pleased to report that very, very little trimming was needed to mate the chopped lines with little or no gap.

Just before cutting the rear window panel, I decided to shuffle the chop zone up, making my top line the bottom. This was in the interest of staying away from corners of the window opening.

The cut over the quarter window has had no section removed. Trimming only. Maybe 1/8" of length is taken away, but that cut allows the step around the top front corner of the window to be realigned easily.

This method, which I arrived at by editing photos, resulted in minimal variation of the vertical in / out taper which exists around the windows. As a result, no alterations of window openings above the chop zone are required.

This concludes the blackboard portion of today's presentation. If we can reassemble out in the shop after a fart break, let's have some refreshments and resume by having a look at where this puts us on the actual car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-29-2018), Gearhead Poppa (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 12:54 AM
Grand Prix User

Nooooo! Just lost an hour and a half of my life to browser error. Unbelievable! Angry, angry!!!!

I was ready to post the good part but had put one pic in the wrong place, switched tabs to get the correct link... and blank white screen on my post when I switched back. Tried everything, its gone. Thats my life. I do NOT need this crap. So no words with pics, no second try. Abort with disgust. This forum is the only one that has ever done this to me and frequency is increasing. Another same kind of forum is giving me trouble. Bout ready to say F em all. You guys don't need my words with those pics anyhow. At least I got to tell how to mark it. FTW
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,056 Times in 4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Nooooo! Just lost an hour and a half of my life to browser error. Unbelievable! Angry, angry!!!!

I was ready to post the good part but had put one pic in the wrong place, switched tabs to get the correct link... and blank white screen on my post when I switched back. Tried everything, its gone. Thats my life. I do NOT need this crap. So no words with pics, no second try. Abort with disgust. This forum is the only one that has ever done this to me and frequency is increasing. Another same kind of forum is giving me trouble. Bout ready to say F em all. You guys don't need my words with those pics anyhow. At least I got to tell how to mark it. FTW
Ahw, Come on now. We are the reason you get by without a television.

Question. I would have thought by doing a slant chop your verticle jams and pillers would have leaned forward more. When I chopped the Merc! I had to cut at the radii of the windows to bring everything back straight.

Is this going to be an issue for you?

John
Old 09-29-2018, 08:03 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

Question. I would have thought by doing a slant chop your verticle jams and pillers would have leaned forward more. When I chopped the Merc! I had to cut at the radii of the windows to bring everything back straight.

John

Uh-oh.........I had to go back to scrutinize. Couldn't see a door edge with a dog leg in it. Maybe hold a straight edge along the door edges. There should be a zig at the back and a zag at the front.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:41 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

John
Quote:
Uh-oh.........I had to go back to scrutinize. Couldn't see a door edge with a dog leg in it. Maybe hold a straight edge along the door edges. There should be a zig at the back and a zag at the front.
This is why what happened is a pity. Everyone wants to know the info thats gone. My point is that I've done the work and made the effort to share, and theres nothing.

Pugsy of course I used a straightedge. John its only tacked. Either of you can feel free to rephrase your questions or post the pic in question, but I'm not getting what either of you are asking exactly. Just remember the vertical cut over the quarter window is there. Following the plan I developed on my PC the differences mentioned were minimal and smaller concerns as you've mentioned were pretty much negligible.

Trunk gaps on the Cat are awesome but our man missed two days this week with "arm out".
Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,056 Times in 4,123 Posts
Quote:
We are not being criticle. What we are asking is, if you cut more out of the front of the door than the rear, (slant chop) why did it not **** the upper section of the door forward?

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
We are not being criticle. What we are asking is, if you cut more out of the front of the door than the rear, (slant chop) why did it not **** the upper section of the door forward?

John
I don't feel criticized by either comment. Critique is good with decent manners.

To answer your specific question, John... the one inch difference over five or six feet resulted in little of what you said. Combined with the fact that I had previously determined with much drama that the right door has an excess of material on the front edge, from the body line up and widest at the top... I expect to trim that away. The difference that you expect to see from the wedge shape of the chop is not obvious because the amount of the chop is small. I expected to need a cut at the top rear of the right door to compensate, but in reality it does not appear to be needed.

I'll just start over and try to keep a straight face.
123pugsy (09-29-2018), John long (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Grand Prix User

Its not a rocket, I can work with it.

123pugsy (09-29-2018), MARTINSR (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:01 PM
Purists Hate Me

Looks like you've checked it all. Should have known better, the way you check everything crosswise and back.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Grand Prix User

Its just.. plenty close. Enough so that any bodyman could deal with the difference. The killer thing about pics of a Model A door is that it will never appear rectangular in a picture, but they are. They could be swapped from side to side. There was a post where I checked door window opening in relation to door edges and that checked out not good. So part of the equation is factory variances and its all eyeball. There was also a post where I showed a plan with a pie slice at top left of door window, but at the car it was easier than planned. The job is a mighty rough sketch still. Have faith.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Purists Hate Me

I have faith, no doubt about that. Can't wait to see it in paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-30-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in