The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 28 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2018, 05:16 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,028 Times in 2,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I like the whole car I prefer full fendered ,,just my choice, and yes I like the ribbed roof,,i used a secition of roof from a ford van in my 34 chevy sedan it had ribs and was big enough to use 1 piece,,it had a little more crown than factory ,but that was ok to,,yje red car has about the same crown as yours ,I think that is how it should be,
Saw one on the hamb where a hood was used, it was just peaked in the middle. I believe these are flat so you can strap down a light load on the roof.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (10-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 05:25 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFORD View Post
to me both cars look the same, a touch flat.

I really like what has transpired on this coupe, keep it going
Yep, about half a foot ahead of the rear door gap its straight across or ever so slightly crowned. I believe it can be that way because all the wood is to be left in. Thank you sir. Glad you like what you see, it continues to be a fun challenge.

The whole time, Mike has been afraid theres something wrong that won't allow fenders to fit. More doubts to knock down. I reassure him but that hanging doubt bothers me and I just have to sit on it until that part of the job comes up, like when I make rockers.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:47 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,475 Times in 2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
If I tell you a hen dips snuff, check under it's wing for the box. The wrecks and injury a few years back trimmed my fuse to a nub about not being believed. The roofs always looked too flat to me but theres probably none in Canada.

Ya, not many cars around here in the tundra...ha....
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (10-03-2018)

Old 10-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Hopefully this posting goes smooth, lots to see. Should be enough to explain some roof awkwardness. Here goes-

Wood is out, jack is down. Even had the right row of screws out to connect my angle strip and all the parts lie the same. It looks pretty good overall at this moment but it has become obvious where ribs are bent too much or not enough. Correcting hasn't been too tricky so far but slapping hell out of ribs is required along with dead blow bumping. I connected the 18 ga strips with that 16 ga cross piece and added an 18 ga crosspiece... and its really solid just like that.

The lighting definitely plays tricks on shape but these look decent-

Here, I am showing you what the phone camera does...

Looks like a dip in the middle, eh? Well, this stick of tubing is not bent-

Guys, study that to your heart's content. Speaks for itself. Not something I can fix, the optical illusion there.

Moving right along, wtf is this? Dozer idler?

Heres the Envy Green 79 Bronco

The 53-

Biscayne arrived for SEMA prep-

Hoping the little side trip helps diffuse the awkwardness over the roof. I am ready to square up the visor and move on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (10-03-2018), Gearhead Poppa (10-03-2018), MARTINSR (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Grand Prix User

Made a sharply angled strip to connect this filler that goes under the visor and makes the top of the windshield hole. This uniforms the front edge of the roof. Second rib from left has too much curve or the rest are too flat. I need to do one more strip under the rear seam, then whatever is left is either just moving screws with edges of the insert hole down more, or straightening. I have centered the insert based on the ribs' distance to the quarter at the very front but the space widens as you go back more than the other side so I'd like to give that another stab eventually.

Just more roof pics, thats it. But I saw the new T shirt design with all Pontiacs on it and its cool, plus I happened upon that CC mag with the 73 in it. I siezed the moment to savor the article. Had a chat with the Biscaynes too, they are a real nice couple.

My guess on the mystery item was railroad wheel for pickup or like a mne cart wheel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (10-04-2018), Too Many Projects (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:07 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,661 Posts
will that car have wipers ,,if so where do they mount. i see a LOT at the shows that dont have wipers,i dont run them on my truck and have a aluminum cone that slides down over the shaft but have a set in tray behind the seat in case i ever get caught in the rain,,but Very doubtful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1953 BBC Tri Power_LI (3).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	924.3 KB
ID:	436005  
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (10-04-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
will that car have wipers ,,if so where do they mount. i see a LOT at the shows that dont have wipers,i dont run them on my truck and have a aluminum cone that slides down over the shaft but have a set in tray behind the seat in case i ever get caught in the rain,,but Very doubtful.
Lots of show cars run like that, with covers on and arms stashed. I assume one wiper on this, a kit with motor inside the car over the windshield. Thats what I was told when I asked.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (10-03-2018), Gearhead Poppa (10-03-2018), John long (10-03-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 04:10 AM
Grand Prix User

By the way, David thats a sharp ole truck you have there. Betcha its a smidge quicker than that green one at the shop. Reminds me of a small story from Monday. They have been mudding bedsides on the 53 but one would catch this wicked high spot right in the middle, down low viewed from the inside... once the fender was tightened. Would stick out like a sore thumb next to the new bed wood.

They were going at it with the shinking tip on the dent puller and getting nowhere, so something happened that has become fairly rare since the crew has been together so long... "Hey, Matt". Curious, I went over. One look and I says MIG a dot there for enough heat then hold a wet rag on it. Walked away. Turned out not pretty but not lumpy either and they got past that spot and thank yous were hollered across the shop shortly.

I felt old, but glad. Thats my story. Yes its one of those can't get back to sleep days.

On a couple dark colored cars, I have seen them blast brand new wiper caps and shoot body color. How much they stand out depends on the vehicle and color but you are right... folks end up leaving the wipers at home after the first show season unless they go touring with it. One of the first counter-intuitive things I realized about show cars is they are never washed, they are wiped down. I have always enjoyed my Prixs in the rain, show car life would never do for me. The Biscaynes did appear to be a bit weary from hauling their new queen around this first year to keep chips away. I imagine that drill consumes a lot of resources. I asked Biscayne guy if he was gonna let me chop his 51 Ford but he said its not in the budget.
John long (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 04:40 AM
Grand Prix User

Pugsy, don't let me run you off. If you had made my insert I am sure it would be a lot easier to work with than what I have now. It looked like it was made by rolling beads first then loosely slip rollering it from the front, back halfway then from each back corner at an angle. If it were a stamped piece it would be worth twice the price because of the inconsistent bead roller work on the insert I have. Looks like the panel was not held steady at some of the bead starts / ends. If pre stretching was done, that was also inconsistent because there are stubborn highs and lows there on some ribs. And they are not matching ribs, either.

The panel is far from flat in the box but you're right... it does look a bit like corrugated tin once on the car, and by the time I finish, it will look fine. But flat-ish. I noticed the camera distortion first thing when I got the new phone and wondered how I'd ever get any pics that look straight of stuff I do. This roof is tough to photograph. Hope you can understand where the defensive posture comes from and continue keeping an eye out.
123pugsy (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 05:08 AM
Purists Hate Me

That pic I saw from the rear drivers side had "bent" ribs which had me concerned. But after seeing your bent tube, I now know that the ribs were probably straight.

Ya, it's a flat panel they provided with beads in it.
The crown will be front to rear only. Flat left to right.

If it was a bead less panel, it would need a slight crown each direction.
idrivejunk (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 05:32 AM
Grand Prix User

It was curled up like a potato chip. That lens distortion is the dangedest thing. Can't say I have had a scenario where its that pronounced though. I'll take the heat for the hubub and blame it on Samsung, you were just calling what you saw.

They do awful good art for these shirts, man. Hope I scratched out all the forum taboo info.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,972 Times in 4,097 Posts
Cool shirt. I will buy 5 bucks worth of worn out sand paper if the shop will throw in a new shirt!

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 10:12 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,661 Posts
[QUOTE=idrivejunk;4625491]By the way, David thats a sharp ole truck you have there. Betcha its a smidge quicker than that green one at the shop.:mwi

Just an ole farm truck made to haul hay and some other thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user116882_pic3079_1367790581.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	436063  
Old 10-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Grand Prix User

John you would need Long sleeves, right? Boss is pretty proud of them I bet.

David, you must mean the mail, right?

This day so far I made and screwed in an angle strip under the rear seam and that makes four crossbars, one heavy gauge. The set holds the perimeter of the roof hole enough to begin making corrections which are (sigh) numerous to the insert. Think I'll need a template to see whats truly going on with the ribs. In the last pic it looks to me like the driver's side is humped up too high somewhere along the seam and the center rib is way too flat. But I can probably move to other areas with it this close. To keep it interesting, the least I could do was whip it outside for a slight change of scenery and I reckon it is looking a bit less like a basket case.

123pugsy (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Purists Hate Me

The first two pics look good. The last three have camera wonk.
idrivejunk (10-04-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in