The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,848 Posts
Pugsy I just like your new avatar. Hope my efforts help you more clearly define what to do when you go can back at it some day soon. Unlike me, going into this Model A job. Mind f I ramble?

Dad is a pretty good Model A reference resource actually, he was there. His first car was a nice four door Model A which he shocked Grandpa with by whacking the top off it just as soon as he brought it home. I'm not as sure where to start. Fact-finding mission I guess.

I stuck my head inside the blue one Friday and just soaked it in for a minute or two, and what I noticed right away is that the Cat job definitely substantially changed the way I see rusty old cars. I found myself wanting to build not a cage but an incorporated and discreet inner structure for the body. Because thats what I would want.

With the 33, I started a little initiation ritual inspired by natives and trees. After the job is in and apart, and theres a plan, and I stand ready for the first cut.... when nobody is looking... I briefly lay a hand on the car and ask permission. Then, acknowledging it's experience and assuring that I am a good guy bringing new life... I start the tool to mask a sniffle. Success has followed thus far.

Somewhere here I made reference to "wood-reinforced" bodies and while what I meant was "cars which have wood in their bodies", it was pointed out that the wood is just to tack interior to. While that can be held as truth, it sidesteps the fact that a C channel of sheetmetal, empty, will crush and kink and twist much easier if not filled with closely fitting good quality hardwood inserts as found in B pillars on early Fords. Just saying... tubing where wood was and across the roof.

Brian, glad you found me. I did announce this thread on the daily thread but don't expect everyone caught that. I can litter this one with pics to my heart's content. As can any of you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Not going for the sled slam look. Just a cool look, be it chopped or not.
Lay down the back window is a for sure mod since day one.

I may chop an inch, inch and a half.

No stainless trim. All sold off.

Still considering running boards or not.
That would be a hard choice,i like it both ways,,one thing for sure it will be a Great looking ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:43 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I hadn't seen this thread for some reason, just scrolled through. Very cool stuff! Awesome work, keep it up!

Brian
Thanks! I digress... I grabbed a red 48 truck pic and some of your cab pics yesterday. You took out a slice of lower cab in addition to chopping, correct? I started to start something on it but didn't have answers and figured you know to just ask, if you want to play pix with your project. So I didn't.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
That would be a hard choice,i like it both ways,,one thing for sure it will be a Great looking ride.
I think he made a pretty good pick too, that ancient Chrysler has some cool shapes on it. Most folks couldn't see past the existing roofline and might pass over the rod potential.

That being said, we all know the frugal truth... somebody nearby wanted it out of the yard so he hauled it off and only charged a dollar.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Grand Prix User

Oh... sorry you two, wheres my manners? I forgot... unfold yourselves a chair and sit a spell. Get comfortable but keep yer shoes on. Punch bowl was right over there... I coulda swore John was over there spik- I mean stirring up a fresh batch. Gosh I hope he didn't pour anything SPI in there, y'all know how he is with that stuff. Hey, where did it go?
Old 07-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Grand Prix User

A literally blue-sky idea just fell on my head for the Model A.

If my suggestion of a metal roof insert (not welded, well fitted and attached) finds any traction with the owner, well it dawned on me that a W-body (like my 99 Grand Prix) roof might not be far off. Then the realization that if a feller was to also pirate the roof inner structure along with it, there could be a power flip-up sunroof with little added work. It even reduces the area that gets blocked out and painted because its smoked glass. The donor parts would be throwaway trash price. Hmm. I think I would want that. Boss might look at me crossways but I'm gonna put it out there.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Grand Prix User

...and that door check strap thread has spurred thoughts about how to give the door one or two detents like modern junk. The hidden hinges on the 33 have detents and the design gives me an idea for how. Spewing rough ideas sure is more fun than the work!
Old 07-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Grand Prix User

Ha. Between me, myself, and I, we generally do the right thing. Given enough time to review the facts, that is. Wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if i didn't contradict myself on a regular basis.

Sunroof and detents are girl car ideas. The red 33 and green 31 with their SBCs- meh. The Biscayne with same- girl car. That one really is a lady's car. But, the Catalina with tame naturally aspirated Pontiac but hauling well over two tons... girl car. The Model A with Coyote slopping out over the fenders, well thats enough butt hair to weave a Navajo blanket. The direction I was headed, hell a rodder would need a testicle holder in there so's he would have a place to keep them while he drives it. So I beg forgiveness. Went for a spin in my GP and that snapped me back to reality. Sunroof? Pfft!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (07-30-2018), John long (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Grand Prix User

Well, um... here we go-

The modification list includes top chop, flush doors, hidden hinges, bear claws. Maybe suicide doors. Rumble seat would conflict with tires.

They are fitting doors and mocking up gas tank on the Catalina today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-30-2018), 496CHEVY3100 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Grand Prix User

Beginnings of Catalina gas tank. 7" deep, so since a minimum of 9" height is required for the fuel pump, there will be a 2" tall pump hump in the center front of the tank and probably a 1/2" deep well on the bottom under the pump.

Heres a door hung. They are saying the core support could come down more from the original guesstimation trim of the frame horns.

The VW that I did nothing on sure is looking crispy fresh.

This ol thang is gonna wear me out. I think I need to build a jig to hold the few usable pieces in place. I'm on info overload and my head hurts. Told ya I need breaks between these.

Anyway I can add that we decided to go with a $600 ribbed replacement roof panel and that the hood center will probably be of the center hinge-free variety. And we are probably losing the seams at the roof sides. And we are going for a regular trunk, not rumble seat. And the list goes on. Whatever quarters are available are a grand apiece so those are out. I've got thinking to do. Leaning toward building a cage around it to hold it still plus let it go to a blaster. But also thinking I just ought to just cut the sides of the car off since thats what this will amount to... total dismemberment.

Fortunately, this is stuff I dreamed of doing, as a kid.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Grand Prix User

Oh and the doors will be suicidal. Probably using the same hidden suicide hinge kit as on the 33 job.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,860 Times in 4,072 Posts
LOL, While I don't understand the love of suicide doors, You can tell your boss we give you permission to build it like the customer orders it done.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
LOL, While I don't understand the love of suicide doors, You can tell your boss we give you permission to build it like the customer orders it done.

John
Aw heck, we was just gonna do that anyway and ask for forgiveness later if there was complaints.

What I heard as the reason for suicide doors was "Its SO much easier to get in and out that way."

Hidden hinges in front would be more difficult, would it not?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,860 Times in 4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Aw heck, we was just gonna do that anyway and ask for forgiveness later if there was complaints.

What I heard as the reason for suicide doors was "Its SO much easier to get in and out that way."

Hidden hinges in front would be more difficult, would it not?
I certainly am not the person to give advice. My '36 is the oldest car I have built and I have never installed hidden hinges nor have I wanted to.

While I am a hot rodder, I like the classic origional appeal of the car. I told everyone I was going to make a 50's custom out of the roadster but when it came time, I just could not do it. Instead, it is a resto 50's hot rod. I even sold the skirts I had bought for it.

I did build a custom out of the '49 Merc but come on, What else would you do with a Merc.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 PM
Grand Prix User

Boy I sure am glad its not one of those! I actually said that today... glad its not a 49 Merc. This, aside from being five window, is like the easiest chop there is. And the jobs before it were good prep for all this, plus the magnitude of the tasks have escalated kinda gently like a ramp. A kinda steep one, but man this is the kind of jobs that bring more jobs so I try to step with it. Don't stray far from the punch bowl, John... I may need you guys. If not for metal shaping support, for distracting fellowship and reality based logic that makes light of it all. Because this job is a heavy mutha. By anyone's standards, no denying it. If I do all this, I will have done something!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« My junk | - »