The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 54 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,719 Times in 3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
That Bronco body is pretty cool with all the detail. The color ain't all bad either...
As someone who worked a couple summers laying up hulls and decks as a young'un (I turned the chop gun loose in my 72 SS trunk also. ) I can appreciate the detail too. But man, oh man... taking it to this stage was like me arm wrestling an octopus. It took a tremendous amount of work by a few people and I was not involved. Many times I did admire how nice the panel faces were but there were so many oversights evident when actually going together with pieces. The guys made it look like a gem. At least it won't rust.

Oh and I thought you might like that hue, its almost within range.

Chevy always has had a "way" with color.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Grand Prix User

Down to just the outer, and I'll try to finish that in half a day tomorrow. The VW bug with the smashed quarter is lurking nearby. Got this much done to the right kick panel-

I ran through this pretty quick and nasty and got it this far. Thats a wierd setup with how the kick panel steps over the pan but I could not jab a pick through after digging the seam sealer out. Only had holes up above that so I went as low as I could clear down by where the kick panel tucks under. The above pic shows how clean the back side is behind that sealer trench.

These are me welding and grinding in a sorta odd position plus rushing. But its over. I can park buns on my stool tomorrow and handle that three foot butt.

As you can see, I didn't exactly nail that curved step's position and applied fudge to compensate. I did start off by rolling the step backwards on patchmaking attempt #1.

That may hunt as-is with seam sealer and Rhino Liner going in.

I've seen three people whittling away on the Cobra. It will be alright, too. I heard tell we fixed it before, so boss knows what the guy is after.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:54 PM
Grand Prix User

Ah. Good, old...metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-11-2019), Too Many Projects (01-11-2019)

Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Grand Prix User

Well, now... I just like the looks of this! Painter loaded for bare and went on a gunslinging frenzy. Lucky me, I hid behind a Chevy door during the Ford shootfest.

Don't hurt yourself, it will be right side up soon enough.

Yeah, Baby... thats my baby.

The sedan delivery looks choice in black stuff. That bodyman is OK. O'l Longhair is 3 years older than me and is a nice guy. He worked there once, before me, and went through the AA mill somewhere along in there. Glad to have him around!

The owner of it was in yesterday . He had that "Wow, after 30 years... its fixed!" look.

Theres your dessert first. Prepare to recieve standard IDJ rodder fodder. A heapin' helpin'.
123pugsy (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,726 Posts
You are doing a great job,,like the wagon,,i am kinda partial to wagons,i had one bought yesterday ,but his wife stepped in and said it was not going any where,,it will be built for her,,

probably was a nice car years ago,check out that motorcycle helment metal flake,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57 2dr handyman.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	439671  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-11-2019), idrivejunk (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Grand Prix User

I hit all the bases today, by the hair of my chinny chin-chin. Good thing I shave weekly.

In IDJ speak, that means no shortage of pics of my process today.

There was going to be a giant air hole at the back of yesterday's repair, so I added this little filler to leave a more reasonable job for the seam sealer-

The rest of these are between noon and 1:30. I made it my goal to be done on this rocker today so during this part I was running flat out, fast as thermal dynamics would let me. I am pleased with the outcome and the task was as pleasant as they get. Fairly self explanatory from here on out... enjoy?

123pugsy (01-11-2019), Too Many Projects (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Grand Prix User

I hear tell theres been some lookworthy Cat bumper progress. Later on that. I am going to put a weatherstrip flange on that door sill and be done.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Grand Prix User

Boy howdy

I was the only bodyman that showed up today so I couldn't do a wrong thing. Right?

Incorrect. Monday got the drop on me once I got home.

The day's work was bliss actually, and boss dealt with his warpath syndrome real well. So I grabbed that gear and went. If a day comes when I can't adjust the quality knob to suit the request, thats the day I'll stop being marketable. He wanted the dead simplest way through this door sill so I snipped the bottom flange off the replacement rocker scrap, leaving a little of the bend on it. After Mr Shrinky gnawed on it a little, boom I tacked it in good and sturdy. More so than it looks, lol. Heres that-

Believe you me so I can get away with no pic of it... I made due effort to find rust holes at the kick panel and did not. Also, I did take time to assure correct width and depth of the weatherstrip channel. Aside from an initial rock pass under the long butt joint on the other side, no grinding underneath has been done. I haven't looked since doing the other inner rocker. But those were some big rust throughs I welded up on this one.

If you wonder about the rust cleanup... such as is is... it was four passes of wetting the area with Eastwood rust converter and wire wheeling then wiping off. Never allowing the acid product to dry in between. Fifth wetting was then only rinsed with water and wiped and blown off. Wax and grease remover to finish.

It was now 3:30 and I zipped through welding up all the spoiler holes on the Cobra hatch without a hitch. Went over that with the slapper, put tools away and readied for whatever is next with a couple minutes to spare. That was strange. Oh yeah, fold up the welding blankets, check for fire, take after pic. Got it. Awesome. Zoom.

So I come home, choose a pic to post and aw dammit.

Missed a spot! Well, hey... theres not one on the other side, wtf? I texted boss and he sez no worries. Whatcha wanna bet that hole will be gone by the time I show up tomorrow. Because boss returns dis-favors with task assignment. If this was KP duty I wouldn't have to peel one spud this week. Thats a Sad Sack reference. As you well know, I favor colorful speech at times.

I hope you guys could follow my drift there. Emphasizing my mistakes always seems to improve ratings so there ya go. I hid that one spoiler hole from myself. Heavens to Betsy!

The optional thing I went past until too late for pics of... Catalina bumper narrowing and tucking... will still be there tomorrow. I am anxious to see what Mike cooked up.
123pugsy (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=idrivejunk;4648019]Who knew this week's dump would have so much fullsize two door SUV in it? .
The color is "Envy Green".
Looks sharp, I'm green with envy for sure. I wish I could tackle stuff like that. I really do drive junk.
The Following User Says Thank You to 55 Tony For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Grand Prix User

[quote=55 Tony;4648993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Who knew this week's dump would have so much fullsize two door SUV in it? .
The color is "Envy Green".
Looks sharp, I'm green with envy for sure. I wish I could tackle stuff like that. I really do drive junk.
Me, too.

Well folks, still haven't looked at the bumpers. And I did weld up the Mustang hole, one man has the flu and the other fell off the wagon. Nevertheless... boss sez this is the last one before Model A. I'll say thats for now and refrain from jubilation. This should tide you over...

Dent-

Weld tab in crease, pull. Last in, first out-

Bloop! Tap, tap. Slap slap-

Not her first rodeo though, see pull rod or stud holes (2 visible)-

Then theres a bunch of fender nuts pulled out. No fender on hand yet... Model A ain't far away now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-15-2019), John long (01-15-2019), Too Many Projects (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Grand Prix User

Red hot news flash!!!

Boss toted the '60 Biscayne to Wichita for a photo shoot today, and he sent me these.

Stay tuned, Rodder Fodder will return momentarily with edge-of-your-seat not-rod humdrum...

That ride sure does belong to a nice lady. She makes cakes and treats and was very generous at holiday time.
123pugsy (01-16-2019), Too Many Projects (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Grand Prix User

Was looking at those pics and asked myself how many feet of MIG butt weld are you looking right at, in those? Four or five yards, and I'm durn tootin'. Same question from the rear would be an unfathomable number. Thanks to Footloose and Paintar for making it a showpiece. Speaking of show cars and dessert... today you get double dip goody dessert first. Save room for your greens though.

One thing I remember about the Peter Gunn era cars is enduring eons in the trunks. I began to believe that was my natural habitat at some point on these two.

Keep very quiet now please, and observe the wiley, elusive Big Mike in his natural habitat...

Look veeery carefully because his natural hide has evolved to aid his lonesome survival in this environment. If we move toward the nest slowly without any sudden moves.... shhh

Aw, now isn't that adorable?

Ha. Here-

It may be a face only a mother could love, but its not quite as chubby now-

Its movement in the right direction... evil and wicked.

Last edited by idrivejunk; 01-15-2019 at 07:24 PM.
123pugsy (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Grand Prix User

Things that blaze or have saddles-

Painter took over on that one. The new spoiler holes must not have exactly matched up.

Turbo Lover took over on the Blazer. Joe was doing stuff on this '65. Can I call it a 'glassed-back? Owner did some (nice, but) fiberglassing of the floor over the rear rails and torque boxes. That I saw so far.

The skeleton crew is scrambling dadburnit. Stand by for the bottom of the task totem... one more post.
123pugsy (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Grand Prix User

Dep't of Who Cares, Why Bother?

Heres what access looks like on the bug.

You may notice that the bottom rear corner is unfortunately an overworked mess from before me. Can of worms right there... an oil can, that is. Ain't going there, on this, for that. I'm sure you can see what the finish pile looks like on it and its insurance pay, so... this is about it. I got to the worst stretched square nut holes and quit for the day. Now I'm about to for the evening. Finally. Man that was like a Thursday, post-wise. Eat up.
123pugsy (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:10 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,591 Times in 3,068 Posts
Bug looks good. You need some metric weld nuts for the fender bolts. I used them on the '47 ford. Punch a hole in each flange and weld the tabs, or, if there isn't room to weld, they can be riveted on.

https://www.mcmaster.com/weld-nuts

The bumpers on the Cat are looking pretty stealthy.
Mike reminds me of Wilson....never see his face..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in