The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 56 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,173 Times in 3,574 Posts

O yeah, now we get to some meat n taters...

Did what I could with qtr on stand, now this. You know its serious when I'm floating it over Grandpa's greatbigo town anvil.

The upper 2/3rds of the bead is rolled into the trunk gap with varying degrees of severity, as can be seen in this area-

Less aggressive methods fell short here, and bashing the crap out of it to get the flange flat not only bows up the top of the bead... but also is where I get a sense for how much energy was absorbed when the panel was damaged. A sustantial amount!

So I did that, then this. The tubing just happened to be right there so I used it as a long flat hammer and that worked slick as snot for flattening the face of the bead. But the clamp is important and has to be moved along as hammering with the tubing.

So that has me here, now. The newish Maddox brand door skin set from HF has a small, sharp comma dolly that... using the wrong side... was very useful in conjunction with a rounded-top anvil dolly using it upside down also.

But this wonky rear section still has an issue. Three ideas come to mind for it but thats for after lunch.

I can see the quarter turning out OK, time will tell.

Clear goes on the Cobra after lunch. They nailed that body line on the quarter and thats no cakewalk.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-24-2019), Gearhead Poppa (01-25-2019), Too Many Projects (01-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 PM
Grand Prix User

Arrow Tonight's Rodder Fodder presentation is a three part special, enjoy!

The aforementioned dolly combo for bumping which fit the job so nicely between beads on the quarter-

I did some straightening around the side window while ideas stewed, then it hit me:

Ran a 1" wide strip of tape along the outer edge of the trunk bead then marked the bead at the inner edge of that tape. Saw that vertically, that line would continue straight down and meet the bottom tip of the quarter just fine.

That indicated outward twist was present, but only between the bottom tip and gutter end. Also noted was a minor amount of optical illusion resulting from an inconsisent edge radius inside the bead, and perhaps also a bit of flatness of the panel face next to it at the outside. Heres what I did:

Tack the tail panel flange patch to the quarter, but only once each at top, center, and bottom of the patch and vertically aligned with the Sharpie mark from the tape (zoom in) and not necessarily in line with the visual inner edge of the bead. Then...

Place three C clamps over the gutter, the patch, and the stick of 1x2' tubing and tighten well, thusly-

Then I gripped the tubing with Channel Locks and twisted, with the quarter as you see here and using only one hand, working against only the weight of the quarter and only touching the pliers. I twisted twice at the top and once at the bottom as shown here-

Those three scary looking twists did what I wanted. With a straighter line beginning to appear, I tacked the patch securely from the inside with tubing still clamped but with no twist on it. Then I removed the clamps and tubing and welded the patch fully but did not finish grinding. Keeping in mind that how the weld is ground will fine-tune the look, that adding weld to the corner a for small distance above the patch may be part of that, and that correcting the outside of the bead further will be possible after patching.

This is how she sits-

"Rifle sighting" it next to a board before fully welding. Straight as a board! Nearly.

How she sits now... looks to me like I have a sportin' chance to win but I ain't quite out of the woods yet. Maybe close enough to hear town.

123pugsy (01-24-2019), Gearhead Poppa (01-25-2019), John long (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 PM
Grand Prix User

Lightbulb A splash of variety, equestrian style.

Sing along now, and mind your nicknames as we wade through some horseflesh-

That old grey mare just ain't what she used to be...

Its the Grey Room anyway...

That by-God 65 fastback does not fit the new outer wheelhouse, which in turn does not fit the new quarter. Imagine that! Longhair split the horsehouse into front and back halves and is fitting them to be rejoined after the necessary modifications are made.

Step this way and beware of wet paint plus the hatch hanging behind you... here we are, witnessing Paintar's deed in the Shiny Room-

A welcome sight, there. Albeit somewhat mundane seeing as how its a crash fix and all. Loud enough color though.

Alright, get your Hi-Di-Ho's ready and bundle up. Lets check on the neighbors-

Is that too much face? Reeks of horse manure back here, too.

Original Footloose wasn't working on the Glass Bronco right then but he has been busy. Stand by for more...

Meanwhile, Footloose Jr has a not-by-God "Eleanor-kitted" that original trim all around the roof only fits pending an act of Congress. That means he did some hard work just getting window chrome on (looks good, too) the outside and is currently having an interior adventure. I just had to be sure the flat firewall made it into the pic.

Thats all for the Kilroy Wilson Variety hour, kids. Tell your folks to get back from the kitchen now so they don't miss the thrilling conclusion!
123pugsy (01-25-2019), Gearhead Poppa (01-25-2019), John long (01-25-2019)

Old 01-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Grand Prix User

Cat pictures

Oh yeah... the '59 Catalina! That rings a bell. So many critters around.

I see tub action! Glad I left the area unfinished so that Big Mike AKA Original Footloose could paint his picture with the real meats in place.

A/C mock up box in place-

Rear bumper narrowed, shaved, tucked, etc...

That white box under the car is the gas tank pattern.

I don't know how that exhaust will end up but theres an indication visible that my first idea may make the cut.

Oh and looky here, somebody's been reading John's thread... I see stuff and things growing all around the Butler's room.

Hot dang, thats gonna be something. Enjoy the updates. I'd like to skin a door tomorrow but we shall see.
123pugsy (01-25-2019), 496CHEVY3100 (01-24-2019), John long (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,321 Times in 2,929 Posts
Dang, that rear bumper looks really cool now. Looks like it was made that way...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Dang, that rear bumper looks really cool now. Looks like it was made that way...
I bet GM would have made them smooth except the press needed to stamp them would have registered on the Richter Scale. You can see why none of us want to lop off the pointy part for exhaust outlets.

One thing learned from my pic edits was that if the painted lower half of the bumper thing is going to look good, the bumper gap has to look more like a sheetmetal gap.

I can dig it, too. He done good.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Grand Prix User

As much as I would have liked to move on to a door skin today, I did not. The quarter just isn't perfect enough.

I went along the quarter flange at the gutter and clamped then tacked it's bottom edge to the gutter to make it fit tight and lay flat.

I cut 2/3rds of the way across the bead just below the gutter and cut the corner of the spare tire panel flange.

I clamped the bolt tab on the quarter in my vise and jammed pallet boards into the gutter and put nearly every clamp I own on it and tacked the bead cut as shown, after eyeing the curve's side view and adjusting that at the cut. See pic-

All is well if that worked. It did not. Still looks crooked. I welded along the inside corner twice, about a foot long, to add material to shape by grinding.

Fail. Not enough. Hunted up the more flexible of the two available straightedges, a metal yardstick, and checked the inside of the bead by bending the straightedge and holding it so no pic but at the widest point, I needed to make up about an eight inch of missing width of the bead.

So I cut. Just below where I just welded corner meat on. Then, using only the metal yardstick and only bending the flange out to meet it an inch at a time as I worked my way along the cut. I believe now that the bead is straight at the inside, in fact and appearance. Moving the patched flange over to the edge of the material I added then welding the cut should do it.

But it looks like hell all gashed open like that, and I gotta add in a little strip. I got started and felt disappointed but calm and resolved when it was time to go. It didn't take much input to drive frustration too close to my daily limit when typical outside drama began. I made it home just in time to forget it all and relax.

Before doing just that, I'll add that I have not forgotten that all this has to match the curve of the trunk lid. In collision repair, there is a pecking order for dimensional variations. Like that, this situation calls for correcting the most difficult aspect first. In other words... if it don't match the side of the trunk lid, I can deal with that but I can't proceed without a flat inside edge of the quarter bead. Reckon its done had the tail panel cut out too many times before me and thats the root of this drama.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-26-2019), John long (01-25-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Grand Prix User

Note to self, lest I forget.

I have been pushing the thought away, but the whole time I have had what I call the "Nuke Option" for this repair...

Cut through quarter and gutter about 3/8" from the face of that bead, in the trunk jamb.

Line the quarter, tail panel, and trunk lid edges up by manipulating the remaining qtr bead flange with shinker / stretcher as need be.

Position gutter and butt weld to qtr flange. Fits perfect, has smooth one layered jamb. Lets me match edges easy.

If I find myself bogged down much more, I may mash that button. This least invasive method effort is already fairly invasive!
123pugsy (01-27-2019), John long (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:19 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,321 Times in 2,929 Posts
If the slice and dice will get that quarter where you want it....it may be time to get the Popeil Veg-o-matic out and use it...
Old 01-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
If the slice and dice will get that quarter where you want it....it may be time to get the Popeil Veg-o-matic out and use it...
Yeah now that I read it, I want to do it just for the cleaner look. Not sure but the gutter may be thicker. The idea could still work with nice trimming but using plug welds on both sides of the seam to a flat or stepped backing strip. Might have to set the Veg-O-dial to the julienne or french fry setting and give it a brief whirl both ways to see.

Fortunately there IS the "give boss options and let him pick" approach but if I find myself in doubt, a chat with one of the Feetlooses usually helps me decide with input from a different view. "Whatever is simplest" is what I usually hear, because Gary is confident that I won't decide to use methods that are sloppy beyond a certain minimum, if that makes sense. I try to hold up my end of that hard earned trust by keeping choices reasonable. If this car just hadn't been such a mess...
Old 01-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Grand Prix User

Most of the morning was spent getting all the body bolts in that red 67 Datsun 2000. Doing a radio hack patch on a Bronco dash now.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Grand Prix User

Model A post is on the way

Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Grand Prix User

This was where I left it last week-

Best attempt to show you with a ruler at 5 today. I got in about 8 five minuteses on it.

...and without-

Aw yeah! No way.

Hahaha... yeh that left edge might work but the right side of the bead I think not. Boy, I tell you what.... I think I get it. An owl would say HALT....

Hang that on the structure (or do I say car yet?)

Skin doors

Take the other quarter to this point

Rough in tubs

Maybe also do cowl outer patches, fab inner behind that, install firewall

Once all that fits like it did, take a good long look at the tail end of the body and go from there. I can see that the bead requires surgery (cut at outer edge of bead, tap, weld, probably simplest) but I can't justify a nuclear response by what I see now. I'll feel most comfortable being certain that the front 2/3rds of the body are as they should be before I nail down the trunk.

Onward. Monday is a done day!
123pugsy (01-29-2019), Gearhead Poppa (01-28-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 AM
Grand Prix User

Sat that quarter on the car to keep it out of trouble for now-

In this pic you can see where the outer door brace ended up, right at the latch. Also, the little ex-hinge notches I'm currently patching. Then if you follow the flashlight...

...that section of missing window channel is back.

This is the door shell bottom panel I am replacing and patching around next-

123pugsy (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Grand Prix User

See request for opinions below. Stand by for variety post.

Here's how that first bottom piece fit. I chose to start on top-

Heres trouble. No suprise though.

Didn't have to stare at that long to know what has to happen.

As you can see, I've simply sliced and overlapped just a little to keep that shell shaped just like it was-

Question:

Do you see a need to go the high road and butt the halves of the door bottom panel? If I were hobbying I don't think I'd ask. But this is work work, so what do you think? I can run some beads or a bunch of dots, it doesn't overlap enough for a step.
123pugsy (01-30-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in