Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Projects/Builds/My Ride (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/projects-builds-my-ride/)
-   -   The Day's Work (pic dump) (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/days-work-pic-dump-516029.html)

idrivejunk 07-30-2018 09:13 PM

Dadburnit, thanx button not working tonite.

John, let me ask you (and Pugs) this:

I am thinking of making the whole side of the car basically, from the body line down and from over the axle to the hood... in one piece. Shaping it that way then slicing and flanging the sections to make cowl, door skin, and quarter patches that flow well. All at once, avoiding the fuss of contouring edges of seperately made patches to match perfectly. I doubt that the lengthwise contour difference where I cut for panel gaps and fold them over would be significant. But I will need a good hand to help wheel the "uniside".

Thoughts? Anyone?

MARTINSR 07-30-2018 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 4610285)
LOL, While I don't understand the love of suicide doors, You can tell your boss we give you permission to build it like the customer orders it done. :D

John

Yep, I don't get it. All that work for a few seconds, you can't leave them open, that makes the car look like crap (normal or suicide) so why?

I did a VW Beetle once, used 56 F100 hinges. Came out awesome, spent about 30 hours on the drivers side and then about 8 on the passenger side after I had figured out what to do. LOL

Brian

MARTINSR 07-30-2018 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by idrivejunk (Post 4610277)
Beginnings of Catalina gas tank. 7" deep, so since a minimum of 9" height is required for the fuel pump, there will be a 2" tall pump hump in the center front of the tank and probably a 1/2" deep well on the bottom under the pump.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1ZVvxwuYS...730_161504.jpg

Heres a door hung. They are saying the core support could come down more from the original guesstimation trim of the frame horns.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u9VSBiWgk...730_161703.jpg

The VW that I did nothing on sure is looking crispy fresh.:)

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qSDoDZ_s-...730_161444.jpg

This ol thang is gonna wear me out. I think I need to build a jig to hold the few usable pieces in place. I'm on info overload and my head hurts. Told ya I need breaks between these.:rolleyes:

Anyway I can add that we decided to go with a $600 ribbed replacement roof panel and that the hood center will probably be of the center hinge-free variety. And we are probably losing the seams at the roof sides. And we are going for a regular trunk, not rumble seat. And the list goes on. Whatever quarters are available are a grand apiece so those are out. I've got thinking to do. Leaning toward building a cage around it to hold it still plus let it go to a blaster. But also thinking I just ought to just cut the sides of the car off since thats what this will amount to... total dismemberment.:pain::sweat:

Fortunately, this is stuff I dreamed of doing, as a kid.:)

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T-l2RvUxd...730_170001.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z_TBlH-Mn...730_165955.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BBN2pCuRf...730_153112.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CtFqxRxV_...730_153155.jpg

That Model A brings back memories of one I did in my garage around 1981. Great memories!

Brian

MARTINSR 07-30-2018 10:29 PM

Oh Geeez, I didn't do the suicide doors on that VW, I chopped that one, but I guess it doesn't matter. LOLOL Chopped it in 8 hours, start to primer.

Brian

MARTINSR 07-30-2018 10:31 PM

Sorry for the tiny little, microscopic high jack, I can't even pretend to get done what you are! Awesome stuff!

Brian

John long 07-31-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrivejunk (Post 4610309)

I am thinking of making the whole side of the car basically, from the body line down and from over the axle to the hood... in one piece. Shaping it that way then slicing and flanging the sections to make cowl, door skin, and quarter patches that flow well. All at once, avoiding the fuss of contouring edges of seperately made patches to match perfectly. I doubt that the lengthwise contour difference where I cut for panel gaps and fold them over would be significant. But I will need a good hand to help wheel the "uniside".

Thoughts? Anyone?

Could it be done? i think it could but you will need someone to help you that is pretty savey. Your helper will need to keep the corners from drooping as well as help you track the metal through the wheel.

As your panel gets bigger the more difficult it gets. Also, the less crown in the panel, the more difficult it gets. It would be easy to mess up a pretty big piece of sheet metal doing it that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrivejunk (Post 4610307)
Boy I sure am glad its not one of those! I actually said that today... glad its not a 49 Merc. This, aside from being five window, is like the easiest chop there is. And the jobs before it were good prep for all this, plus the magnitude of the tasks have escalated kinda gently like a ramp. A kinda steep one, but man this is the kind of jobs that bring more jobs so I try to step with it. Don't stray far from the punch bowl, John... I may need you guys. If not for metal shaping support, for distracting fellowship and reality based logic that makes light of it all. Because this job is a heavy mutha. By anyone's standards, no denying it. If I do all this, I will have done something!:)

You keep filling the punch bowl and we will keep hanging around! :D

John

123pugsy 07-31-2018 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrivejunk (Post 4610309)

Thoughts? Anyone?

Not following this. Can you show it on a photo?

idrivejunk 07-31-2018 05:43 AM

John, Brian-
So... suicide doors are foolish is what I'm hearing. Are you two suggesting that front opening makes access more difficult? I have never sat in a T or A. They are tiny.

Hidden suicide hinges let you leave the door open like any car. They have detents which are adjustable unlike any car. I know because I instaled them on the red 33 coupe.

idrivejunk 07-31-2018 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 4610325)
Oh Geeez, I didn't do the suicide doors on that VW, I chopped that one, but I guess it doesn't matter. LOLOL Chopped it in 8 hours, start to primer.

Brian

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 4610327)
Sorry for the tiny little, microscopic high jack, I can't even pretend to get done what you are! Awesome stuff!

Brian

I ain't worried about no hijack. If you've read along you'll know that I didn't make the thread just for me. Thats just how its being.

I won't have the top chopped in 8 hours, this I know. Could I? Maybe but I doubt it. If anything I am slow, always have been. In crash shop days I never managed to turn more than maybe 10-20 hours more than I was there. All I did was sand paint off yesterday and didn't finish... and its tiny! So while I'll agree that the boss brings in an awesome string of interesting work, I won't agree to being faster than anyone. It takes a lot out of me.

idrivejunk 07-31-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 4610349)
Could it be done? i think it could but you will need someone to help you that is pretty savey. Your helper will need to keep the corners from drooping as well as help you track the metal through the wheel.

As your panel gets bigger the more difficult it gets. Also, the less crown in the panel, the more difficult it gets. It would be easy to mess up a pretty big piece of sheet metal doing it that way.

You keep filling the punch bowl and we will keep hanging around! :D

John

I believe I wil, its worth it:) Thanks for your input. Original Footloose and Slick qualify but it would be a challenge. Probably a 6 or 7 foot long piece. I figured if I can get the big shape in it, I could add the details after cutting the patches. And I figure starting out by mapping zones and number of passes with a Sharpie could be helpful. Door skins are available but I am trying to think big and amaze my friends!:D

idrivejunk 07-31-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123pugsy (Post 4610363)
Not following this. Can you show it on a photo?

I can draw it out later, yep.

idrivejunk 07-31-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 4610327)

Brian

Its easy to backspace pics out of a reply quote. Sometimes I just skip the quote and use their name.

496CHEVY3100 07-31-2018 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cant help but wonder if you build a watertrap on the bottom of the tank and mount the pump there will the pump not pick up the water and trash off the bottom,,and the gas we get around here seems to plenty of water at times.my fuel cell has a water trap 1x4x4 with a drain and pump mounts on the rear of the tank,, I guess just a preference..:confused::confused:

idrivejunk 07-31-2018 07:02 AM

David, that would be a Mike question. For all I know, he is putting it like you're saying. I was needing a word and grabbed sump and probably made it sound wrong. Half inch downward lump under the pump is how I understood the shape he described.

Y'all want to start a pool on what day Mitch will find this thread?:D

Feel free to mill about the punch bowl, I'll flip the lights a couple times before the next act begins. Gotta go live it first!;)

MARTINSR 07-31-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrivejunk (Post 4610365)
John, Brian-
So... suicide doors are foolish is what I'm hearing. Are you two suggesting that front opening makes access more difficult? I have never sat in a T or A. They are tiny.

Hidden suicide hinges let you leave the door open like any car. They have detents which are adjustable unlike any car. I know because I instaled them on the red 33 coupe.

WHOA THERE, you have a good point, function is a whole different issue! The suicide door is MUCH easier to get in and out of. So, someone with some health issues that restrict movement could benefit from them.

Brian