The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,747 Posts
Dadburnit, thanx button not working tonite.

John, let me ask you (and Pugs) this:

I am thinking of making the whole side of the car basically, from the body line down and from over the axle to the hood... in one piece. Shaping it that way then slicing and flanging the sections to make cowl, door skin, and quarter patches that flow well. All at once, avoiding the fuss of contouring edges of seperately made patches to match perfectly. I doubt that the lengthwise contour difference where I cut for panel gaps and fold them over would be significant. But I will need a good hand to help wheel the "uniside".

Thoughts? Anyone?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 10:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,663 Times in 4,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
LOL, While I don't understand the love of suicide doors, You can tell your boss we give you permission to build it like the customer orders it done.

John
Yep, I don't get it. All that work for a few seconds, you can't leave them open, that makes the car look like crap (normal or suicide) so why?

I did a VW Beetle once, used 56 F100 hinges. Came out awesome, spent about 30 hours on the drivers side and then about 8 on the passenger side after I had figured out what to do. LOL

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chopped VW.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	433511  
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Beginnings of Catalina gas tank. 7" deep, so since a minimum of 9" height is required for the fuel pump, there will be a 2" tall pump hump in the center front of the tank and probably a 1/2" deep well on the bottom under the pump.

Heres a door hung. They are saying the core support could come down more from the original guesstimation trim of the frame horns.

The VW that I did nothing on sure is looking crispy fresh.

This ol thang is gonna wear me out. I think I need to build a jig to hold the few usable pieces in place. I'm on info overload and my head hurts. Told ya I need breaks between these.

Anyway I can add that we decided to go with a $600 ribbed replacement roof panel and that the hood center will probably be of the center hinge-free variety. And we are probably losing the seams at the roof sides. And we are going for a regular trunk, not rumble seat. And the list goes on. Whatever quarters are available are a grand apiece so those are out. I've got thinking to do. Leaning toward building a cage around it to hold it still plus let it go to a blaster. But also thinking I just ought to just cut the sides of the car off since thats what this will amount to... total dismemberment.

Fortunately, this is stuff I dreamed of doing, as a kid.

That Model A brings back memories of one I did in my garage around 1981. Great memories!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF5194.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	433513  
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-31-2018)

Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 PM

Oh Geeez, I didn't do the suicide doors on that VW, I chopped that one, but I guess it doesn't matter. LOLOL Chopped it in 8 hours, start to primer.

Brian
Old 07-30-2018, 10:31 PM

Sorry for the tiny little, microscopic high jack, I can't even pretend to get done what you are! Awesome stuff!

Brian
idrivejunk (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:19 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,766 Times in 4,039 Posts
Quote:

I am thinking of making the whole side of the car basically, from the body line down and from over the axle to the hood... in one piece. Shaping it that way then slicing and flanging the sections to make cowl, door skin, and quarter patches that flow well. All at once, avoiding the fuss of contouring edges of seperately made patches to match perfectly. I doubt that the lengthwise contour difference where I cut for panel gaps and fold them over would be significant. But I will need a good hand to help wheel the "uniside".

Thoughts? Anyone?
Could it be done? i think it could but you will need someone to help you that is pretty savey. Your helper will need to keep the corners from drooping as well as help you track the metal through the wheel.

As your panel gets bigger the more difficult it gets. Also, the less crown in the panel, the more difficult it gets. It would be easy to mess up a pretty big piece of sheet metal doing it that way.

Quote:
Boy I sure am glad its not one of those! I actually said that today... glad its not a 49 Merc. This, aside from being five window, is like the easiest chop there is. And the jobs before it were good prep for all this, plus the magnitude of the tasks have escalated kinda gently like a ramp. A kinda steep one, but man this is the kind of jobs that bring more jobs so I try to step with it. Don't stray far from the punch bowl, John... I may need you guys. If not for metal shaping support, for distracting fellowship and reality based logic that makes light of it all. Because this job is a heavy mutha. By anyone's standards, no denying it. If I do all this, I will have done something!
You keep filling the punch bowl and we will keep hanging around!

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:17 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,237 Times in 1,915 Posts
Quote:

Thoughts? Anyone?

Not following this. Can you show it on a photo?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 AM
Grand Prix User

John, Brian-
So... suicide doors are foolish is what I'm hearing. Are you two suggesting that front opening makes access more difficult? I have never sat in a T or A. They are tiny.

Hidden suicide hinges let you leave the door open like any car. They have detents which are adjustable unlike any car. I know because I instaled them on the red 33 coupe.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Oh Geeez, I didn't do the suicide doors on that VW, I chopped that one, but I guess it doesn't matter. LOLOL Chopped it in 8 hours, start to primer.

Brian
Quote:
Sorry for the tiny little, microscopic high jack, I can't even pretend to get done what you are! Awesome stuff!

Brian
I ain't worried about no hijack. If you've read along you'll know that I didn't make the thread just for me. Thats just how its being.

I won't have the top chopped in 8 hours, this I know. Could I? Maybe but I doubt it. If anything I am slow, always have been. In crash shop days I never managed to turn more than maybe 10-20 hours more than I was there. All I did was sand paint off yesterday and didn't finish... and its tiny! So while I'll agree that the boss brings in an awesome string of interesting work, I won't agree to being faster than anyone. It takes a lot out of me.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:10 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Could it be done? i think it could but you will need someone to help you that is pretty savey. Your helper will need to keep the corners from drooping as well as help you track the metal through the wheel.

As your panel gets bigger the more difficult it gets. Also, the less crown in the panel, the more difficult it gets. It would be easy to mess up a pretty big piece of sheet metal doing it that way.

You keep filling the punch bowl and we will keep hanging around!

John
I believe I wil, its worth it Thanks for your input. Original Footloose and Slick qualify but it would be a challenge. Probably a 6 or 7 foot long piece. I figured if I can get the big shape in it, I could add the details after cutting the patches. And I figure starting out by mapping zones and number of passes with a Sharpie could be helpful. Door skins are available but I am trying to think big and amaze my friends!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:11 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Not following this. Can you show it on a photo?
I can draw it out later, yep.
123pugsy (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:

Brian
Its easy to backspace pics out of a reply quote. Sometimes I just skip the quote and use their name.
MARTINSR (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,609 Posts
I cant help but wonder if you build a watertrap on the bottom of the tank and mount the pump there will the pump not pick up the water and trash off the bottom,,and the gas we get around here seems to plenty of water at times.my fuel cell has a water trap 1x4x4 with a drain and pump mounts on the rear of the tank,, I guess just a preference..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	user116882_pic4762_1378700472.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	433521  
Old 07-31-2018, 07:02 AM
Grand Prix User

David, that would be a Mike question. For all I know, he is putting it like you're saying. I was needing a word and grabbed sump and probably made it sound wrong. Half inch downward lump under the pump is how I understood the shape he described.

Y'all want to start a pool on what day Mitch will find this thread?

Feel free to mill about the punch bowl, I'll flip the lights a couple times before the next act begins. Gotta go live it first!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (07-31-2018), MARTINSR (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
John, Brian-
So... suicide doors are foolish is what I'm hearing. Are you two suggesting that front opening makes access more difficult? I have never sat in a T or A. They are tiny.

Hidden suicide hinges let you leave the door open like any car. They have detents which are adjustable unlike any car. I know because I instaled them on the red 33 coupe.
WHOA THERE, you have a good point, function is a whole different issue! The suicide door is MUCH easier to get in and out of. So, someone with some health issues that restrict movement could benefit from them.

Brian
idrivejunk (07-31-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in