The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 63 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,211 Times in 3,072 Posts
Today was a fairly normal half Friday's work. Had a wonderful meal with dear family after then saw my tax lady who helped me understand this latest dilemma that makes days go uphill so steep.

Relax. Its bad but now I know where it came from and will deal with it duly. My turbulence should dissipate but I'm forever dented. Score Matt: 0 Experience:1. THIS season.

I was gonna put the pics on this post but yuck, no... hang loose for a modest but pure positive freshy...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Grand Prix User

This is not much progress to show, but read between pictures.

I have trimmed away all parts of the cowl and cowl top that will not be needed with planned mods, and have trimmed the new firewall enough to go in it's hole. Some of the extra length at bottom was bent into a rearward flange with 3" wide locking pliers used like hemming pliers.

According to the chassis... rear block face and brake pedal define the limits of fore / aft firewall placement. Centering the firewall in the available placement "window" puts it around two inches rearward of the forward-most original body mounting bolt holes. Thats where I generated the cardboard pattern which I transferred to the firewall.

Bolt position on the body was not altered, so placing the trimmed new panel on a mark 2" back from the holes on the new front body mount "ears" should approximate the spot to screw it in and try. I did not make it to screws today but what you see above is what you just read the description of.

Planned hood sides are bobbed just above the valve cover (they stick out) which is about halfway up, in about the middle between belt bead and bottom bead. A smooth hood top, hinged at front, will be used. A PSA-type seal will be used between cowl and hood, but it and the flat area where it lies will end where the hood does. So below the hood, the fronts of the cowl sides will transition in some asthetically pleasing manner right into the firewall. Leaving gobs of opportunity to show off custom made headers whether they end up inside the rail or over it for exhaust routed behind the aprons.

Did you follow all that? If you did... yes, the cars's anticipated usage is strictly fair weather only. Unless we make a rain day hood side panel that is removable.

At the risk of writing too much between pics, I must add:

While trimming the cowl stuff, I saw a cool easy way to do the bedded windshield. I just couldn't see any holes in the idea and ran it through the Mike filter. Aha! Yep, he caught something I hadn't considered. hmm,,, dang. He really is handy on this because he is all about traditional style and reminded me that the original windshield frame is what gives the Model A glass shape. To keep it looking Model A you can't have the windshield bigger, it visually requires that wide frame around the glass. Mike: 1

When I went to yack at him, he had some crazy-looking-to-me horizontal / diagonal rising sun grille fins cardboarded up on the Catalina. I took a few minutes to do a cardboard sample three fins wide of my kinda wedge shaped D idea, made sure he saw it (he says "I didn't think of vertical") and left it laying in the empty side of the grille for his digestion at his lesiure. No pic of either, just to build supense.

That crap is fun, competing with ideas. He is a formidable brainstorming opponent. The old grilles were laying there along with a couple other things I hadn't seen-

Well, then... those are spiffy eh?

After that, I had to walk past these projects... Footloose has all the underhood wiring in place on this 68 Elanor clone on which I did a Brazilian firewall. Haha. Now look at the pic and remember the engine compartment is wired.

Heres some more refreshing blood-n-guts drag strip bound Chevy to gawk at. This is the 383 in the brown round S-10, a soup-of-the-day GM crate offering that I didn't bother to get specs on but the sheet was "over there in a box". Fuel cell is out by the tailgate, needs fake hay bale cover. This is just a plain regular cab muddy wheelwell four banger beater in decent shape but that stroker ought to liven up the party.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (02-23-2019), Too Many Projects (02-22-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Grand Prix User

Does anyone have thoughts, advice, or experience to share regarding windshield visors vs wind at high speed?

I am wondering if how much speed the visor can handle is a potential issue at... oh, 150 MPH bursts or extended 80 MPH periods, or simply gusty wind on highways passing trucks and trailers, etc.

Any input is appreciated, secondhand tales are fine.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Does anyone have thoughts, advice, or experience to share regarding windshield visors vs wind at high speed?

I am wondering if how much speed the visor can handle is a potential issue at... oh, 150 MPH bursts or extended 80 MPH periods, or simply gusty wind on highways passing trucks and trailers, etc.

Any input is appreciated, secondhand tales are fine.

I ran a visor on my gmc for years,,at speeds 70-85 regularly and it was Wide but had a 2in airgap between the cab and visor..it was bolted to an Aluminum cab and never any problems,and it is a great advantage especially on a long trip and sunny days, I would run it on the A,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMC astro 400 cummins.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	440749  
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Grand Prix User

Thanks for the input, David. Theres not a question about running one or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Grand Prix User

Stand by for a lookaround post from the grey room also.

Made a cardboard then wood windshield, shaped to the opening in the old frame then chopped 3" then hung it sorta flush in the opening.

You'll also see that I cut welds on the top part of the firewall and turned the flange piece around. What you can't see yet is where I cut the firewall horizontally. In a moment. This is just where ends happen to meet if I do this like this, and it gives about a 2 1/2" wide band to put a stick on seal across, but the band wlll stop where the hood does. About a third, not half like I said, of the way down between belt and bottom.

See? I just kinda scooted the wall down on the flange, too. Like to prepare to butt that. Puts the firewall RIGHT up on that fuel rail or whatever... and everybody likes everything just almost hitting, so theres that. This morning I put that tunnel bend in the firewall but forgot to show it. There will be a toe board so its probably scrap later but for now its a reference.

The flat lower section will get shuffled galore, an access-paneled stuff-mounting double wall is the plan for the lower, flat area. I submitted the idea of having an access panel underhood on the driver's side a third of the way across and the other two thirds of the way would be a larger one on the passenger side, inside. But both sides would be flat, just one panel seam hidden underhood. Follow that?

OK. Latest side shot. I could play with this pic. Through the fender and apron, outside the rail is looking like the only place for headers to go due to components in the way on both sides.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-25-2019), Gearhead Poppa (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:40 PM
Grand Prix User

Forgot to mention that a magnet don't stick to the original windshield frame. Drat. That foils the simpler half of the list of ideas that are stewing in my mind. But thats OK, what I have in mind is more trick looking.

What do you guys think...

Actual windshield frame as a molding overlapping the glass and gap around it

or

Just flush glass and metal with a tiny rubber bead if anything, around it... but a small bead roller groove where the frame's outside edge would sit, on the pillar

Last edited by idrivejunk; 02-25-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:46 PM
Grand Prix User

Donor roof for the blue tornado barn truck-

The Blazer Jimmy whatevz. Caught a flat.

I sure am glad I graduated from paper slider.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-25-2019), Gearhead Poppa (02-26-2019), Too Many Projects (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,723 Posts
With the body on the frame, if I hadn't seen the top chop on here, I would never know it was done. The roof looks perfectly normal height now.

Is it just the angle of the pic, or does the front of the hood sit higher than the rear ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:33 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
With the body on the frame, if I hadn't seen the top chop on here, I would never know it was done. The roof looks perfectly normal height now.

Is it just the angle of the pic, or does the front of the hood sit higher than the rear ?
I am thinking shims are needed under the front of the body. On a stocker the wood holds the cowl a little higher and I've made no spacers for that yet but its about time to now. However, I won't have the hood to be used until I don't know when. The flange piece I flipped around sticks up at the front, too.

So I may tack in some structure behind the firewall also but I'll stop short and be on windshield or quarters and trunk as soon as I reach a stopping point with the firewall roughed in.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post

Good observation. Roof height looks spot on.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 AM
Grand Prix User

Thanks on behalf of Mike, guys. Chop height is one thing I never had to wonder about. He is having a whale of a time building Catalina exhaust now.

I had Joe bring out the rest of the A fenders yesterday. Its time to start getting the big picture.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Forgot to mention that a magnet don't stick to the original windshield frame. Drat. That foils the simpler half of the list of ideas that are stewing in my mind. But thats OK, what I have in mind is more trick looking.

What do you guys think...

Actual windshield frame as a molding overlapping the glass and gap around it

or

Just flush glass and metal with a tiny rubber bead if anything, around it... but a small bead roller groove where the frame's outside edge would sit, on the pillar

I dont care for the flush windshield look. I would prefer to keep everything working as before (original) as there are days when just a small amount of airflow there is desirable.
just my old 2 cents...................
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTFORD For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFORD View Post
I dont care for the flush windshield look. I would prefer to keep everything working as before (original) as there are days when just a small amount of airflow there is desirable.
just my old 2 cents...................

Nah......that's what Vintage Air is for,...
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Grand Prix User

Theres parts of the build that simply won't be traditional, thats just how it is. This one should wreck better though.

Heres a couple progress shots of Catalina exhaust. Fairly meaty lunch post today!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-26-2019), Gearhead Poppa (02-26-2019), Too Many Projects (02-26-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« S10? | - »