The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 65 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2019, 03:51 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,669 Posts
IDJ,,i need to ask you for your help ,,i dont normally buy front wheel drive vehicles,,but this looks interesting,,he wants to trade it for my S10 Drag Race truck,,if I trade I would have around $1500 in it,,you are the Pontiac man thought you might help.

I cant buy it for $1500,,but if I trade that is what I would have in it.

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/bar/...821777085.html

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
IDJ,,i need to ask you for your help ,,i dont normally buy front wheel drive vehicles,,but this looks interesting,,he wants to trade it for my S10 Drag Race truck,,if I trade I would have around $1500 in it,,you are the Pontiac man thought you might help.

I cant buy it for $1500,,but if I trade that is what I would have in it.

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/bar/...821777085.html
It has appearance issues... clear peeling, elusive door molding missing is a big deal, not really worth painting, has wrong or crummy wheels, hood gap... thats just what I see in the one pic. Probably looks like weathered hell out back and has ricer tails and probably has been crashed and iffy fixed in front. And so on.

For me, trim level is big. The pace car thing has zero effect on value but since its one of those, its probably a heated 8 way leather, dual zone climate, sunroof, and HUD loaded GTP2 whereas a GTP1 could have cloth seats and no HUD or sunroof. Bose is a seperate option but boy it makes a difference! Tan interiors yuck, grey lasts long time.

Miles are low-ish for the age and I'd bet theres years of noble service left in it, hell I like it and I bet you'd get a hoot out of that rowdy little sucker. If that one is worth 1500 mine is 800 if that. Takes awhile to get the hang of driving one, they have a fairly explosive double downshift.

If you ain't making passes with the S-10, try it on for size. MUCH more comfortable.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Grand Prix User

Oh, and while subtle year to year differences can be a pain, 98 is in the sweet spot pre-OnStar year range for modification. About the only thing a 98 has against it is crummy stock airbox and thats gone. Its got a throttle cable and cable driven cruise control and security can be pretty much turned off, stuff like that. 98 might notn have the seatbelt "coupe loops" on the headrest but they can be nabbed from a later year. You'd probably want those, I gotta have them.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (03-01-2019)

Old 03-01-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
It has appearance issues... clear peeling, elusive door molding missing is a big deal, not really worth painting, has wrong or crummy wheels, hood gap... thats just what I see in the one pic. Probably looks like weathered hell out back and has ricer tails and probably has been crashed and iffy fixed in front. And so on.

For me, trim level is big. The pace car thing has zero effect on value but since its one of those, its probably a heated 8 way leather, dual zone climate, sunroof, and HUD loaded GTP2 whereas a GTP1 could have cloth seats and no HUD or sunroof. Bose is a seperate option but boy it makes a difference! Tan interiors yuck, grey lasts long time.

Miles are low-ish for the age and I'd bet theres years of noble service left in it, hell I like it and I bet you'd get a hoot out of that rowdy little sucker. If that one is worth 1500 mine is 800 if that. Takes awhile to get the hang of driving one, they have a fairly explosive double downshift.

If you ain't making passes with the S-10, try it on for size. MUCH more comfortable.
I am not running the S10 it has a 10 point cage and after the wreck ,I can get in it alright ,,but VERY hard to get out,,for saftey sake I will Not drive it anymore if something happendi would be up yhe creek...

That being said I have not seen it in person he is in Florida but willing to bring it to me if we work out a trade,,, Thanks for your help.

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 03-01-2019 at 07:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Grand Prix User

Whatever puts the maximum joy into your toy box, David.

Guys I am working toward finding an amicable solution for some of the bodywork around the Model A's engine and thought it might be wise to study just a little first. Found and want to place this juicy swap article link here so if you're interested you can scope it out. I do not know which version / power level yet though, and it looks to be a 6R type trans. Thats a 32 valve variable cam timed 302 with six speed automatic in IDJ-speak.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/coyo...timing-engine/

There may be sketches or edits later, for your critique, if I hit on something potentially valid. Its a fun automotive but indoor pastime.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Grand Prix User

I have an edit thats starting to go places... but

I had a youtube playlist going for an hour or two and this one came on. I had never seen the video for it but since I was deep in Model A thought the video caught my eye and whoa nellie, back up... you gotta see this if you haven't. I definitely want this video here on my thread, its baaad, man.

Gearhead Poppa (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 10:26 PM
Grand Prix User

This roughly illustrates my hood side idea, and while the artwork isn't pretty it should be sufficiently accurate. Exactly how it should look from the top or a few steps closer would be awful tough to render but imagine a bead around the opening in the fender for over the rail exhaust. The rear pipe should go about where the apron stops and the bottom cowl bead rolls in around the body mount ear. The lower side panel next to the grille could stay or go, and the bead would go all the way to the front without that. Wha'dya think?

Old 03-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,725 Posts
The lower bead being shorter than the top looks out of place, to me. I'm into continuity and the lower bead being full length would seem to look better... of course a rendering would prove that true or false.
The short lower panel helps the flow into the grille and I don't think it needs a bead to look good below the full bead of the hood side. Probably want a short, 180 wrap on the raw edge for strength and prevent flexing.
I'm not one for louvers, BUT, the side panel looks a little plain and some louvers in that could liven it up and give it that hot rod image...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Grand Prix User

Thanks for the input. Louvered-side hoods like it has now have a bead between the one at the top of the side and the louver area. I considered keeping that but it seemed like too many beads stacked near each other. But thats with a bead at the bottom edge too. A row of like 3 inchers above the opening and rolled bottom edge would work for me but our hero ain't much into louvers either. The front side panel pieces could obscure the accessories and maybe help keep bugs off the engine.

I figure Mike will have final say on the hood. He wants horizontal teardrop bulges on otherwise featureless hood sides. Customer and boss like the valve cover showing. I would like it fine with no hood sides but that would look like a breezeway over the flat topped engine.

I truly don't give a hoot what is done with the hood, its the cowl solutions I am looking to pin down. With the degree of indecision thats present, I have gone about as far as I should in finishing the cowl. But I have answered some of my own questions in doing that image, about how exhaust can be. Mike wants it left where he can run it inside the frame or outside and I think the picture shows an idea that would work if outside is chosen.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Grand Prix User

Too Many Projects (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 06:55 AM
Grand Prix User

Well, that effort was about as useful as nipples on a boar hog.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,083 Posts
Quote:
Well, that effort was about as useful as nipples on a boar hog.

What do have against nipples? I got some....

Louvers there seem like they are not needed with all the air gap already, making them "wrong", however they seem to look good there. Funny thing is, I'm anti louver on anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:32 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
What do have against nipples? I got some....

Louvers there seem like they are not needed with all the air gap already, making them "wrong", however they seem to look good there. Funny thing is, I'm anti louver on anything.
Yup, not needed, but add a visual focal point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Grand Prix User

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-04-2019), Rip VW (03-04-2019), Too Many Projects (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
This roughly illustrates my hood side idea, and while the artwork isn't pretty it should be sufficiently accurate. Exactly how it should look from the top or a few steps closer would be awful tough to render but imagine a bead around the opening in the fender for over the rail exhaust. The rear pipe should go about where the apron stops and the bottom cowl bead rolls in around the body mount ear. The lower side panel next to the grille could stay or go, and the bead would go all the way to the front without that. Wha'dya think?

I had to Zoom in on the valve covers,,your messing with my mind,.
the exaust would look in stainless going thru the fenders with a oval shaped bezel amd am electric cut out exiting straight out the side while exaust goes under fender out of sight.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-04-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« S10? | - »