The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 66 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 4,833 Times in 2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Hotdamn !! that looks cavernous. He should be able to put some rubber under that !

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I had to Zoom in on the valve covers,,your messing with my mind,.
If I accomplish nothing but that today, I 'm good. Firewall was in the way on the pic I was using and I was too lazy to dig for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Hotdamn !! that looks cavernous. He should be able to put some rubber under that !
Guys that throw down large like this want mega dish and steamrollers. Theres room for 16" width and the owner was willing to widen.

Louvers did win the popularity contest with both Footlooses but they are traditional. Boss wanted the edits to send to the guy. And through all that and two forums and asking direct face to face, I could not get a solitary sentence from a soul about the bead over the opening and front side panel, or the cowl bottom corner. Everyone just stares and its like tumblweeds in the headlights. But it matters not.

One guy did suggest one long louver, Footloose said put beads like on the firewall (or ponys if using Pony interior. Maybe he meant the horse emblem. I want to see how it would look with coyote in embossed letters like on fox mustang rear bumpers. There and / or on the spare tire mount panel. Or in laser cut stencil lettering on the hood sides, smaller. A stylized Coyote head pistriped on the trunk would make sense to me. Mike brought me a white smooth hood top plus boss said OK when I said we need a radiator to do any front end stuff.

Pugsy... A shirt, but I ain't no hog. Even though this area is the home of the Razorbacks.

That ain't Canadian bacon.

By the way, I had this post ready with pics two hours ago but since I am a human, my fingers can't work soft keys and bam... gone. Pics shortly.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Grand Prix User

I cut the tail panel reinforcement tacks, took it out and was clamping the skin to the quarters with no spare tire panel up there and the clamps happened to be just the right size to go against the floor rails and hold it centered. So at the last minute I sat the trunk lid on, roughly in position. To see about that right quarter. Remember it? Really not too scary looking now but it is rough.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-04-2019), John long (03-04-2019), Too Many Projects (03-04-2019)

Old 03-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Grand Prix User

Well, I'll be. The hog pic went away. I must have been trying to "advertise". I'll try a real one from Wikipedia.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Grand Prix User

napkin sketch of shower thought

In Texas you can shoot feral hogs but you better have a semiautomatic or big revolver. I had to spew this idea before I crash out-

Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 AM

I dont care for either version of the hood sides, has to many squared off corners. the beaded edge pronounces the squared off look in my opinion.
the louvers are only decorative with the hood cut out for clearance of the engine.

for the lock pins, will these keep the door from coming open if the latch fails ?
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTFORD For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFORD View Post
I dont care for either version of the hood sides, has to many squared off corners. the beaded edge pronounces the squared off look in my opinion.
the louvers are only decorative with the hood cut out for clearance of the engine.

for the lock pins, will these keep the door from coming open if the latch fails ?

Thank you, sir. Any suggestion of what to do with the hood side? I think it will end up just plain. On the pins, thats their purpose yes. To answer your question... well I can't, thats why I ask. I think its underkill but would be the least obvious of ideas so far. Everyone wants to ask and warn, nobody wants to tell me what works in theirs. I am certainly capable of deciding for myself but feel its best to ask around since I am not a prewar person.

Last edited by idrivejunk; 03-05-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Grand Prix User

structural revision, can you spot it?

You'll see more tubing go away. And I had another door lock idea that resides in the upper hinge pocket and uses a lock knob like classic Mustangs. Both it and the one in the drawing are better than my tailgate chains idea but all are in the boss's hands to be submitted to the customer. No feedback on the hood side yet.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 AM

if there are to be hood sides I would prefer curved corners to go along with the fender curve.
I dislike seeing the early cars with round curves & someone adds a box shape to the car....example: squared/rectangular tail lights or head lights. it takes a good eye to get the mix of shapes to look right.

as for the door safety pins, it must be set up in a way that is fail safe. if the latch breaks or opens, will it keep the door closed ?

again, this is just my opinion & is worth ?????????????????
idrivejunk (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFORD View Post
if there are to be hood sides I would prefer curved corners to go along with the fender curve.
I dislike seeing the early cars with round curves & someone adds a box shape to the car....example: squared/rectangular tail lights or head lights. it takes a good eye to get the mix of shapes to look right.

as for the door safety pins, it must be set up in a way that is fail safe. if the latch breaks or opens, will it keep the door closed ?

again, this is just my opinion & is worth ?????????????????
Curved corners to go with the fenders... can you elaborate on that one? One guy wanted the hood side to match the tilt of the valve cover but that would only be valid from an eye level equal to the valve cover.

I plan to use Model A tail lights in pods that resemble upside down Mustang backup light bezels.

I'll be point blank just once: Do you approve of the bottom front corner of the cowl?

Can't see any reason that the door would open with the drilled striker idea. Did you see the drawing?

We all know it has to be fail safe but also that collision damage can negate anything a human can make. I have suggested a small bright magnetic sign for the A pillar on hard play days or interstate travel, that says I.C.E. CUT HERE. Because there will be no tubing in the windshield posts.

The lock idea for the hinge pocket would prevent the door from opening no matter if the latch shatters like glass.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Curved corners to go with the fenders... can you elaborate on that one? One guy wanted the hood side to match the tilt of the valve cover but that would only be valid from an eye level equal to the valve cover.

I plan to use Model A tail lights in pods that resemble upside down Mustang backup light bezels.

A: I like the idea but would like a pic/drawing to be sure we are seeing things the same.

I'll be point blank just once: Do you approve of the bottom front corner of the cowl?

A: I like that curve, can it be duplicated at the bottom hood side to match ?
also the front corner of the hood side,next to the valve cover.
in my opinion, the bead edge pronounces the squared look.

Can't see any reason that the door would open with the drilled striker idea. Did you see the drawing?

A: saw the drawing.
will drilling it for a pin weaken the striker ?

We all know it has to be fail safe but also that collision damage can negate anything a human can make. I have suggested a small bright magnetic sign for the A pillar on hard play days or interstate travel, that says I.C.E. CUT HERE. Because there will be no tubing in the windshield posts.

A: I agree

The lock idea for the hinge pocket would prevent the door from opening no matter if the latch shatters like glass.
A: still thinking about this...................
idrivejunk (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Grand Prix User

Thanks for the input, it spawns thoughts. Replies after I wade through pic posting. I read it all, good stuff. Did not get a pic to show the lock in hinge idea, but the hinges are J shaped if that helps... lock pin would go in the hook of the J.

Chew on these a spell. Boss likes your curvy idea which I read only once before conjuring these and texting them to him. With that opening, you could totally paint it silver and put P-51 markings on it with a flat black hood top!

Standing at right front wheel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-05-2019), Too Many Projects (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Grand Prix User

Ford truck roof has a hole and some dents. Why do they ALL gotta have a hole? I know, CBs.

Shoo, bug! Its a really late year and getting a fender was problematic so it sat awhile for that reason. I don't know about the wheel and hubcap part of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Grand Prix User

Thats all Mike.

This is the miniature grille section I made. Above the angle is supposed to be vertical and it would be taller to fill the opening but the angle across the front of the fins would follow the bottom grille opening contour. Could sit deeper than shown. If you can visualize that. Might be a Bonneville inspiration, I don't remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-06-2019), John long (03-05-2019), Too Many Projects (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Grand Prix User

Model A junk, anyone?

Finally

Sorry picture lovers, I gotta make words.

When closing the trunk lid, it pushes the quarters left at rear. Hinge type is a joke without a seal. Or with. But anyway, yeah that so I blocked the lid open, put the rear tip of each quarter 3" in from the edge of the wells because thats where they evened out when centered.

Then I drew a line on the wells at the wheel opening on the quarters, and removed the wells to tack them together at the outside edges and make sure they match up at the ends. "Well" enough.

Then I put masking paper down and traced the line made along the quarter opening. Then I flipped the paper over and traced the other side the same way. Then I split the difference between those two lines with green tape-

Then I peeled the paper and split the green tape line with scissors and gently put the paper back in place and marked that line on one, flipped it and repeated. Then, I shaved a quarter inch off that line so the tubs fit inside the quarters.

I got one cut and screwed in. The idea is that if these match nice, I can position the quarter opening a small even space away from the tub outer edge...

and that will be just about as close as I can extrapolate the intended shape. And it may make quarter straightening harder or easier, but the position I lock the wheel openings in defines everything about the quarters. That will be soon. However until I have a radiator so I can know where the grille sits, due to setting the body rake on the frame I can't establish trunk floor height.

I couldn't pick which of these to post, but heres trunk pic with it all floppy-

The car looks REALLY good to me with a tub in there! Now I gotta hit the people tub, its been a long day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-06-2019), Too Many Projects (03-06-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in