The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 68 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,217 Times in 3,075 Posts
I did hang doors back on it also and about have the lid straightened. Now, off to eat scrap metal for breakfast so that hopefully I can crap hinges later today. The ones I have are a bolt with no threads through the gutter going through holes on the sides of the lid. It can move a quarter inch up and down and nearly a half inch side to side when closed. Not good enough to build a car around. It would be sad to find out that if I have the other pieces these hinges will work but I don't guess we'll ever get to find out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
...................................... Now, off to eat scrap metal for breakfast so that hopefully I can crap hinges later ...............

Old 03-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Grand Prix User

Wasn't all that hungry this morning so I found another option. Installed the trunk hinges another way. This way they are visible in the jamb and command 1/4" lid-to-qtr gaps. But they hold still. Boss sez he ordered a pair along with the latch and we agreed to waste no further thought on that now.

If you look at the rear window panel in yesterday's pic, you'll see that the screw in the middle is way closer to the window than at the ends of the panel. See also diagonal cut made to allow it to bend. Diagonal so I could cut only the top layer without destroying tacks to the trunk front gutter panel. That was my deal... patch can gap fine, but add window panel and can't get the middle to stop rubbing.

I have mostly been setting the trunk lid on it's side because iit will stand that way on the shop floor. While working dents up (someone definitely stood or walked on this lid) with that panel on the knee-high rolly table, I noticed something...
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (03-08-2019)

Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Grand Prix User

just cutting the text part into digestible bites here

Knowing that the rollaround metal table has held a 59 Pontiac body before, I don't expect it to be flat or level. But the trunk lid teeter-tottered on it. So I went to the shop floor and sat it down face-up. Looked like one of them desert lizards that only have two feet on the burning sand at one time.

Front right corner was off the floor better'n a quarter inch. I was showing that to Footloose Jr and Longhair when boss came through the door. "Y'all can be my witnesses" says I loudly as I put one foot on one edge of the lid and squared myself to stand on it. Dead center of the shop. Boss of course stops, and I'm reaching for a shoulder to steady myself...

Their poker faces were priceless. They actually trust me THAT much. I was just doin' that to scare you guys says I, and chuckles erupt as I step off. I carry it over behind the sedan delivery mumbling I'll just go hide and do it.

Yeah theres pics today but not many, just keep reading. None of that Oh, I forgot my glasses crap.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Grand Prix User

Was I gonna though? Or not, really?

Find that wise old owl from the tootsie pop commercial and ask him.

Stare, ponder, stare... aha! Theres a bridge for the towers at the end of our frame rack. Mighty sturdy, hmm. Turned the right way, its a C. Is it wide enough for the lid? Just!

Hey Longhair, if you will... hold this lid here and just stand there with this prop board against your foot... yeah right there. Ready? I hung my weight on the right front corner of the lid and gave 'er the old intensifying bounces. Got some of it, let's go again. Kept on until we heard another oil can blomp. Set lid on floor again.

I exclaimed "It remembered!" She lays flat as that wiry gal at the cat house.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Grand Prix User

Them two things, hinge change and lid twist... ought to buy something. They did. But boy howdy, NOW the mess that the quarters are in becomes more apparent. The curves ain't bad, quarter at gap and gutter contour fit jive per templates. Meaning just about all the remaining faults are in the hard-life gutters and quarter beads at trunk.. bent laterally here and there in different directions, bead mashed flat or crushed from a side, deep dings, etc stack up into yuck.

I have not let replacing any of that metal get onto my mental option list but I will reconsider in light of this. Perhaps I can pinpoint the worst of it and make do. Time will tell.

I realize this picture story is heavy on story so heres one from yesterday that I culled because theres stuff that looks crooked. It ain't done though.

Hang in there, Friday's coming. Heres a look across the lid that was also Thursday-

The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Grand Prix User

I knew I'd be asking a lot of the readers to get you current so I've made an effort to have it be worth your while...heres what I got:

Sans front gutter and window panel, with a myriad of wood shims and clamps I secured side-of-trunk gaps at the width dictated by in-gap hinges.

W i d e !

Like canyons. But better. Of course wider is better, duh. I need my Pontiac V8 time. Anyway...

Now was the time when I needed to stop, unscrew the screwed in tub (left), trim the quarter wheel opening lip (what remains) to 1/4" to match the right, and tack the left tub in "final" position. So I did. Then more planned trimming to uniform the bottom tub edges.

There were 40 minutes left and the stall was a shambles. I picked up for 20 minutes then threw together a triumphant Arky-style hawt rod display for the benefit of all parties. Then I met my folks at Golden Corral and strapped on the feedbag. Consider yourselves honored that I did this before the nap.

Sorry for the dry posts and wit, but again its done in the interest of all parties. Heres what my shop mates are up to-

Wish there was more for ya but hey... I vary widely day to day. I saw something curious on the Catalina, a piece of flat 18 gauge where the grille goes. Only Life cereal knows where that is going. Thanks for your patience, fellows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-09-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,943 Times in 2,724 Posts
Quote:
Hell Yeah...paint it !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-09-2019), idrivejunk (03-08-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Hell Yeah...paint it !!
I wouldn't mind. Last car I shot was eight years and two weeks ago.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Grand Prix User

Among family, I am notorious for always bringing up the subject of cars at the table. Dad has always jumped to my defense by pointing out that I "come by it honest".

Since I've been on this project, he has stopped in a few times and found inclination to locate and share these photos which bear witness to that statement.

Around 1950, he snagged a cream puff Model A sedan with a ring gear missing a tooth-

He held that until his friend got back from the junkyard with a complete axle.

Then he cut the top off, then he got a coupe body and whacked it too. Garden hose was split to cover the cut edges, baling wire used to secure the windshield. More trips to the junkyard followed, and a buddy with a similar car was there to spur him on. So by the time they made their high school debut, the transformation to cool was complete.

No matter if someone someday even makes a space ship out of one there will never be an A greater than this one. Its the greatest A story ever told... to me. He says he'll work on writing it down.

He just sent me that top pic this morning. We had a chuckle yesterday at my mock up pic. You can imagine how priceless the connection is. I bring it up at the table worse than ever, now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-09-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-09-2019), John long (03-11-2019), Too Many Projects (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Grand Prix User

It must be sort of taboo mentioning fathers on retired people sites.

I am thinking new thread, since this one has over a thousand posts now and interest is down to less than a handful of guys. The pic blog is probably plenty for FASTFORD and just shutting up and doing my job sounds pretty appealing.

Model A's and 59 Pontiacs and bodywork just aren't very interesting, I get that but thats all there is to show and it probably won't get any better.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Ever ask him what the flex hose over the engine is for ???

Seems I'm the anomaly in our family. My Dad liked nice cars and bought a couple memorable ones. My son has zero interest. I guess "coming of age" in the muscle era grabbed ahold of me and had a little influence...
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,083 Posts
My two older brothers fixed their engines, pulled them, had em rebuilt and reinstalled. Heck, we even pulled one block by hand. I thought, hey my brothers are alright. Then, nothing.....back to the Geek Squad they went, ha...
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Grand Prix User

Pretty sure thats the exhaust, Mitch. So he could hear it good. Marriage marked the end of playing with cars for him. Pellet converters were the norm when I was that age but I have always held that anything with an unleaded sticker is too new for me. I was all carbs until 2009 when someone forced my hand and I had to go injected. Grandma was pretty good with that camera though and I sure am glad she used it.

Tomorrow morning I'll start my ninth year at the shack and tenth year of old cars as a job. During that time, I have clung to the hope that I would be able to resume hobbying if I did good but thats been foolish of me. This other people's cars stuff will have to do.

Last edited by idrivejunk; 03-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Tomorrow morning I'll start my ninth year at the shack and tenth year of old cars as a job. During that time, I have clung to the hope that I would be able to resume hobbying if I did good but thats been foolish of me. This other people's cars stuff will have to do.
Not foolish, just didn't work out YET, it's never too late as long as you're still walking ON the grass. I was 50 when I was finally in a place to start my hobby of younger years over again. I MAY have gotten a wee bit carried away with the purchasing of basket cases for future restoration...

As you have mentioned, having a supportive wife with a good job has been the key. Running a household on 1 income is always a challenge. I know I wouldn't be were I am without her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-10-2019), John long (03-11-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« S10? | - »