The Day's Work (pic dump) - Page 71 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: How often would you like this thread to be updated?
Daily 3 100.00%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 0 0%
No change needed 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,202 Times in 3,069 Posts
FAST... sorry but I am too angry to hold still right now, let alone form a nice sentence to explain myself to folks who think I owe them something. I appreciate your sincere input and tactful wording and it should come as no suprise that you think I'm so something or another as to block that off. This whole free show every noon and night deal is hanging by a thread so nobody crowd me because I've HAD IT. Had what? A bellyfull of things that aren't forum material.

Please believe that I do not enjoy being angry. I do not. Thanks for your patience, I have just run out of bottles to put it in and am forced to make an unwanted and ugly change to something I cannot tolerate.

Stand by for the dang day pictures.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Grand Prix User

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-14-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-14-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 AM
Grand Prix User

My mad has dulled some overnight but my resolve has not. I hate nothing more than being forced to take a stand. I do the best I can for people but time and time again I get reminded thats too much to expect in return. Hoping people see the light and do right, in any situation, is just silly. Life today is about forcing choices upon others, degrading their lives to make yourself more important... thats just how it is and thats how I will have to operate like it or not. I'm fed up.

Time for more acting happy and struggling through. Off I go.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Grand Prix User

I can't do this anymore. If I can recover, you'll hear from me again. I got the trunk latched and started modifying the tail panel brace which I had removed earlier by adding end pieces to mate it to the quarters in order to begin securing the rear section of the body.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Grand Prix User

Guys, you don't deserve mysterious, snippy remarks and abandoned threads any more than I deserve stress added to my existence... so heres the thing, without throwing anyone under a bus-

I am left with no choice but to become an independent contractor. I never wanted to start my own business but to keep my job and freedom, thats what it has come to. This makes me not only very sad but also extremely extremely frustrated. Furious is a good word for it. I have said before that people can only screw up your life if given the opportunity. I must remove that opportunity and deal with whatever consequenses arise as best I can at the time. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but perhaps now my attitude can make more sense to readers. No one is capable of understanding my explanations but I sincerely hope this hint removes enough mystery that I can continue here and potentially regain some self respect. Its my own lack of control of my words that leads me to believe its best for me to go cold turkey on forums. Again. At least this time I did not destroy all the pictures.

I am open to input on going forward in this manner, for I have no such experience and can only rely on advice I might get from my tax preparer. This might be the wrong solution, only time will tell because I feel certain that I will overlook a drawback.

Why unnecessary and unwanted drama must be forcibly injected by every individual who touches my life cannot be known by any human, its just the fact of my life now and this is the best I can do. I'll keep fighting because retreat is not an option.

Thanks again fpr your patience. I will attempt to carry on but just don't care very much now.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Guys, you don't deserve mysterious, snippy remarks and abandoned threads any more than I deserve stress added to my existence... so heres the thing, without throwing anyone under a bus-

I am left with no choice but to become an independent contractor. I never wanted to start my own business but to keep my job and freedom, thats what it has come to. This makes me not only very sad but also extremely extremely frustrated. Furious is a good word for it. I have said before that people can only screw up your life if given the opportunity. I must remove that opportunity and deal with whatever consequenses arise as best I can at the time. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but perhaps now my attitude can make more sense to readers. No one is capable of understanding my explanations but I sincerely hope this hint removes enough mystery that I can continue here and potentially regain some self respect. Its my own lack of control of my words that leads me to believe its best for me to go cold turkey on forums. Again. At least this time I did not destroy all the pictures.

I am open to input on going forward in this manner, for I have no such experience and can only rely on advice I might get from my tax preparer. This might be the wrong solution, only time will tell because I feel certain that I will overlook a drawback.

Why unnecessary and unwanted drama must be forcibly injected by every individual who touches my life cannot be known by any human, its just the fact of my life now and this is the best I can do. I'll keep fighting because retreat is not an option.

Thanks again fpr your patience. I will attempt to carry on but just don't care very much now.

Finally. I've been watching you working away and scraping to get by. You don't deserve that.

What kind of contractor are we talking? I'd like to throw out any 2 cents I may have knowledge on. I run a small business, and I'm sure others here do/have and would love to give any input they may have.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Finally. I've been watching you working away and scraping to get by. You don't deserve that.

What kind of contractor are we talking? I'd like to throw out any 2 cents I may have knowledge on. I run a small business, and I'm sure others here do/have and would love to give any input they may have.
The only difference will be in how I get paid. Nothing else needs to change, my rate is OK and the work and pay is always there. I just have to control my own deductions and such because I get assistance for health care from the government. Its a bad bad topic to discuss and I'd rather not but did feel obligated to acknowledge my erratic behavior.

Thanks, Pugsy.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 PM
Grand Prix User

If I ever did actually open a shop just for me to work at, I have fantasized about buying rustbuckets and selling them as fixed bodies put back on the nasty roller chassis, gutted.

Would not mind doing amateurish pic edits as a paid hobby.

But I dig my gig and that ain't changing. Its just... y'know I can't think of any two worse things to combine than income tax and health insurance but thats what got the drop on me this year and its constantly changing now so a guy like me has to pay extra-close attention to new rules. SN,AFU.

I am very glad that I don't have a shop of my own because its probably even more of a circus for employers. Maybe we can work it out after all, we've invested a lot in each other besides money. I never bring it up and don't look forward to discussing it and didn't intend to make anyone think I am quitting. Nothing is further from my mind!

That Model A needs a rear view edit done right about now though. I gotta give birth to that thing. Pronto. Thats me talking.
123pugsy (03-17-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Grand Prix User

It is safe to say that putting a modern latch and striker on a Model A with an ex-rumble lid is a geometry exercise. As it closes, the striker moves forward as much as down. The first version of the latch bracket is scrap.

Right now, best I can tell, the right hinge needs to go forward a quarter inch or so in order the make the lid point rearward rather than off to one side. But one countersunk hole is part of the hinge mounting so I'll need to cut that section out of the quarter to move it.

Looking at these alternate new hinges, they mount to the old shelf. Its not there and theres no instructions indicating how it attaches to the lid. This style would also have to pass through the gutter and be sealed.

Added ends to the tube brace, mainly for now just so I can work this out with the tail panel off but also so that it can bolt in and adjust a little before welding. Mostly just cussing stripped drill screws and worn out clamps to pass the day.

The big tubing in the trunk has been removed.
123pugsy (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:38 PM
Grand Prix User

At this rate it will take awhile to bury my rant. I think I got it all good enough in one pic.

I didn't have to mess with the latch and hinge stuff for long today before reluctantly acknowledging that I was ahead of myself.

Known to match side vs side are contours at trunk gap of quarters and lid, trunk gutter, and inner tubs. Known to be centered and level when attached are the tail panel, it's reinforcement, and spare tire panel. At matching height only, are the short horizontal steps on rear tips of quarters where the bead is.

Exact height of tail panel not yet established. Fore / aft placement of inner tubs is known to not match.

What I am working toward is floating the tail panel / reinf /tire mount assembly... level, squared, and centered, to the height most fitting to the trunk lid while side gaps match. Once I have that, I can take off the tail panel and work up the latch with that out of the way. With that foundation firmly attached, I can shuffle the rest into final position.

I had the tail assembly mocked up with clamps, BUT... with all that in good alignment and looking swell on the left, the lid overlaps the right quarter on the rear half of lid. The right quarter tip is in around half an inch, and with the fore-aft hinge position off by half that. Viewed from rear, the matching jamb pieces made last week are nowhere near in matching positions.

So its definitely nailed down which area is the problem, and some metal violence will be called for to bring it into shape. What I suspect is that one quarter is ahead of the other slightly and / or side-viewed clock positions don't quite match. I will build the basement first then force compliance of whatever won't. Finally being able to check lengths and centerline accurately at the rear of the car is huge. But the accuracy of this body is coming around, it has just been skewed a lot and nothing goes quite where it goes. Yet.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 PM
Grand Prix User

Woopsidaisy, forgot to put this pic at bottom of the lunch post. It don't tell much, I was still trying to latch it. I actually was able to slot the lid to move the right trunk hinge but it just wasn't helping. Thats when I switched to nailing down four matching corner positions on the tail panel which is the current adventure. I still cannot "see" a clear mental picture of the supports over the tubs, under the trunk jamb. I have to get the tubs straight across from each other first anyway. FASTFORD, pardon the grumping about the cardboard on that. All I can envision is either a couple of straight upright sheetmetal supports on each well, or a panel like the pattern but with big holes cut out and stepped around their edges. I plan to plug weld the rear fenders on so there won't be any body fasteners in the area being sort of closed off. It could have compartments. We need two firewalls at the back of the cabin because a gas tank goes under the back window.

123pugsy (03-19-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-18-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Grand Prix User

I couldn't stand the rusty part. This is the tail panel assembly, tacked together.

This is the assembly clamped in what I judge to be a correct position relative to frame and body. Trunk hinges are in place, lid is resting on stop bolts in gutter at rear.

So I just have to tie that tail assembly to the cabin structure and bring everything else to it. Simple, eh? Hope these pics are more explanatory than the written version.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-19-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-19-2019), Too Many Projects (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Grand Prix User

There may not be any visible difference here except lighting and the fact that I randomly got a fairly square angle for minimal camera wonk...

but I cut tacks on that problem quarter bead, helped a smidge. Also starting to work on the trunk front gutter, its in there. As I move along it sure looks like the trunk lid skin is just plain shorter on one side at the bottom. I'm closing in on having all the desired control points in position, little by little. The front gutter is the source of much drama also, I have found.

In the above pic, stop bolts are holding the tail centered on the lid. When closing the lid, you gotta place a hand on the left quarter and nudge it a quarter inch to the right for the lid to fall into the jamb. So I built a little trunk floor tubing box, which will grow rearward and upward links to locate the tail assembly and trunk hinges / gutters on center.

Lots of the measurements I have been taking in reference to the cabin structure are spot-on. Once I have the tail end fixed a quarter inch to the right, the whole centerline should be straight. I am basically chasing the crooked out of the body, bit by bit. And beginning to have occasional thoughts of the roof insert. But theres a good bit of welding left on the cabin structure after I shuck panels again, and some clearancing too. The left quarter is getting up against it now. And I'm pretty sure one of the seat crossmembers is a little crooked. Etc...

I'd wager that the big final move which creates near-perfect trunk gaps which I am leaning toward is the same one you all have been thinking of this whole time.

Around the grey room now, come look-

123pugsy (03-20-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-20-2019), Too Many Projects (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Grand Prix User

Saw this today... or it saw me not sure which.

Made the model A rear trunk well panel-

Yep I cut tacks and took the framing out so I can fuss over all of it and maybe stab it as an assembly-

I don't know if I have shown details of the trunk hinge areas lately-

Trimmed the bottom edge of the rear window panel patch, it was too tall and causing interference with the front gutter-

Round hole in cardboard showing how the tail light could sink into the fender-

123pugsy (03-20-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-20-2019), Too Many Projects (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Grand Prix User

Got some pieces shined up and welded together-

Ran outta time so the trunk pan is just laying in there not clamped or anything, and the front edge (shown below, viewed from side window) is sitting on top of the 3" tall tubing it goes under to meet the cabin pan-

Again, not clamped but the shape is all there. The upright pieces of the tubs may have to be altered or re-done, or added onto back at the well behind the frame.

123pugsy (03-21-2019), John long (03-21-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« S10? | - »