Dealing with shop mis management - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

I really wanted to, it would have been the ultimate proof... But when the disclaimer is not on file, I still have proof, because the work order is noted that a disclaimer is printed... And the main manager does not want us even chancing damaging or breaking anything and tells me, if in doubt, decline the work because it's not worth it.. so this could be a last straw.. I know he's just building a case so that he goes out with a bang when he does go... We only do oil and tires, and battery installs. I do it because it's quick easy work. Still a hard job, but I can save my brain and frustrations for my own stuff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 03:11 PM

Well, main boss is out to take care of this guy now, I know since he told me..

I got him to do something very stupid... I brought in a 2012 Toyota for an oil change, and they take a special 64.5MM wrench. Somehow, both of ours went missing almost a month ago. They were direct from the dealership.. I normally just decline the service. looks bad but better than a broken filter cartridge.
Knowing that, I tried every other wrench we had, but none worked. But, service manager was working that day, so I asked him what to do.. put him on the spot, since I heard from another tech, that he was getting them open with a socket extension and a hammer ( asking for breaking a cartridge insert )

So, service manager, in all his stupidity completely destroyed the cup wrench surface getting it off with a hammer and extension, but got it off and didn't destroy the sealing surface or the threads.. Still tho, we owe that lady a cartridge insert.. anyway, I finished the vehicle, took lots of pics of damage and told the service writer to let customer know what happened, since service manager didn't call her back to the shop and own up to it when he did it..

So then, I went on break and informed the main manager, who wasn't happy about it, assured me I wasn't held liable and called what he did bullcrap. Then told me about a lug stud he broke off with a breaker bar, and a pipe over the end ( against policy in the handbook ).. Were not equipped to repair studs since we only do oil and tires... Needless to say, it's pretty safe to say times are changing
Old 01-11-2016, 02:16 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
The shop cannot afford the loss of my presence
anyone that feels this way should leave, other than be narcissistic, everyone is replaceable
if you truly feel that it is unsafe in the shop, again, you should leave

i worked construction/oilfield/maintenance for many years and have had more jobs than most people
if i didn't like something, i'd move on to greener pastures, emotions never entered the picture

Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM

Sure I'm replacable, but not by a trained employee capable of the job as a walk in. That's not their hiring strategy.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
Then told me about a lug stud he broke off with a breaker bar, and a pipe over the end ( against policy in the handbook ).. Were not equipped to repair studs since we only do oil and tires... Needless to say, it's pretty safe to say times are changing
wheel nuts weld them selves to the threads of the stud.. there is no way sometimes to get the nut off but to break and replace the stud..

studs are really easy to replace on SOME .. not all cars.. it does involve removing the caliper.. caliper bracket and rotor.. the only special tool you will need is a carefully selected hammer to knock the remaining stud thru the hub face.. after rotating it to the proper angle for the clearance behind it.. this almost always exists..

slipping the new replacement stud in from the back side.. using a greased stack of flat washers and a conventional lug nut the proper size on Upside down.. yes.. flat side to the washer and tighten.. pulls studs in without distorting the hub flange.. ON SOME CARS... not all.

brain power is what it took when i went to lunch in 1981.. and another tech at the name brand company owned tire shop i worked at. his CP air gun failed after years of hard use.. we had 170PSI and 1/2" air hoses with high flow quick connects.. i had an almost new IR231.. i warned him as i went to lunch that gun is really really strong. when i got back he threw the gun at me in anger.. this gun is defective.. it broke 17 lug nuts off that cadillac on the rack. the service manager was on my case... the store GM was on my case.. the 3 of us had a meeting in the GMs office. i am glad the glass was thick.. as we were laughing our heads off. that same tech kept taking my 5/16 nut driver to drain the oil out of the roll around device.. heater hose and a spark plug drain.. he took at least 4 of them before i out witted him.. i ground the numbers down and carefully restamped the 5/16 as 10/32ths.. i never lost another one after that.

that was actually a really fun place to work.. until our GM got a promotion to zone manager.. and we got a replacement from a low performing store. i was the first one out the door so he could bring his staff from the lower performing store. we were so popular.. we had a 3 week waiting list for oil changes.... and people kept their appointments.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:13 PM

Right, our company policy is to decline a vehicle with stuck lugs if the impact won't remove it.. A breaker bar with a 4' jack handle is not anywhere near policy.. We are not equipped as a repair facility so replacing studs is something we don't carry parts for nor do we have tools for it.. I know how to install studs, but this place means if we break one it has to go down the road to a repair facility at our cost.

Right now I've just got the popcorn while stupid catches up with him. Right now works pretty relaxed since I'm following our procedure manuals and not him

Last edited by matt167; 01-12-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:55 AM

I got out of fixing cars for a living years ago. Same crap as you describe, bad management that is protected by possibly worse people up the food chain. Management will almost always take the side of management in an argument.

Some managers can't recognize good people when they have them in front of them. Best bet for you may be moving on.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM

I don't think that's the case this time.. His screw ups are costing the shop and company a LOT of money. The main manager gets his bonus from the shared profit margin, and if those margins are not right, he won't get a bonus. His bonus, without exactly what it is I know is more than enough that he will care... Now the entire shop has my way of thinking. main managers on vacation but is still calling every day or stopping in because he does not trust what's going on with shop manager... I know he's fed up cause he told me.

We just gave away a $200 tire that was repairable, but couldn't fix it since were out of pre buff tire cleaner to make sure the patches stick, and the customer bought road hazard when we sold the tires, so our only fix was to replace the tire free of charge.. Turns out he has not made an order for supplies in 2 weeks and were not restricted or anything
Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 PM

How well can you confide in the main manager, can you get authority from him to order what the shop needs? That would make things immediately easier. Maybe this guy doesn't know how to order supplies, I've seen that happen.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHWOARchild View Post
How well can you confide in the main manager, can you get authority from him to order what the shop needs? That would make things immediately easier. Maybe this guy doesn't know how to order supplies, I've seen that happen.
I can probably get him to give me the ability if I ask.. A big part of it is getting supplies in. Orders can only go in one day a week so if he misses it, were SOL for a week. Supply ordering is only part of the problem tho. his style of management, and making policies up as he see's fit is the big problem... He's told some newbie tech's to decline replacing valve stems but still charge for them.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
I can probably get him to give me the ability if I ask.. A big part of it is getting supplies in. Orders can only go in one day a week so if he misses it, were SOL for a week. Supply ordering is only part of the problem tho. his style of management, and making policies up as he see's fit is the big problem... He's told some newbie tech's to decline replacing valve stems but still charge for them.
Sounds to me like your shop is very poorly run. I drive for the local NAPA. Local shops order supplies from us at any time and its there in 20 min, if local in town........There is no reason to make a bulk order once a week as far as I can see.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 PM

We have gotten from Napa and even advance in a pinch before but were really supposed to go thru our corporate supplier. Right now were not being allowed to outsource...

Poorly run is putting it nicely. We had a service manager that was on top of everything, we really didn't even know he was there because he was off doing his job making the shop run.. He left and this guy got it, and really just wants to act as an overpaid tire jocky and make up policies to cover up the fact the shops circling the toilet because he is simply ignoring his actual job.. That's the short of it
Old 01-15-2016, 06:43 AM

It looks like the whole place is hamstrung from the top down. Are any customers doing formal complaints? This gets attention and action fast.

How does everyone you work with feel about what is going on? They all should be taking notes of incidents. If you all stick together your chances for positive changes are better.

I've seen full-scale revolts in shops (not car related) that got management tossed out. We did one a few years back where I work, but nicely and by the numbers.

I've been involved with getting a union into a big shop, we came real close. It was a true toxic work environment. In the end we sat down with upper management, they wanted to know the root issues.

Our supervisor was reassigned and we got a human being to work for. They tossed us a serious bone money-wise. The impact for me was an instant 16% raise in pay.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:51 AM

Yea, most of us from the shop finally came together and came to the conclusion he is sinking the shop and we need to take action and are..
Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yea, most of us from the shop finally came together and came to the conclusion he is sinking the shop and we need to take action and are..

Just be cool about it, anyone you think is loyal to the manager, exclude them and talk off the clock and off premises.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in