Dealing with shop mis management - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Not a registered repair shop? Laws must vary quite a bit from state to state. In some small towns, the small shop may be the only game in town, literally.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 02:35 PM

The problem with these situations is whose reputation suffers.

Your's as an employee working for a mismanaged shop obviously turning out shoddy work?

The business, for letting this continue on?

Probably a combination of both, though I'd be concerned of my own before the businesses if they are that slow to rectify the situation. Next thing their bad name just rubbed off onto you.

Run Matt Run
Old 06-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHWOARchild View Post
Not a registered repair shop? Laws must vary quite a bit from state to state. In some small towns, the small shop may be the only game in town, literally.
since we only do tires and oil changes basically, we don't have to register as a repair shop. Were not the only game in town. another shop across the street that does tires, oil changes and basic repairs. Another down the street doing same along with road calls, and a full service repair shop a little farther but all within 1-2 miles

Why we stay busy is, we are the cheapest. It's as simple as that

Old 06-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirwolfPJ View Post
The problem with these situations is whose reputation suffers.

Your's as an employee working for a mismanaged shop obviously turning out shoddy work?

The business, for letting this continue on?

Probably a combination of both, though I'd be concerned of my own before the businesses if they are that slow to rectify the situation. Next thing their bad name just rubbed off onto you.

Run Matt Run
Yup, I've arleady taken my picture out of the frame hanging on the wall showing I'm a " Technician ". They didn't like it but I told them my professional image was getting hurt by the association with the shop... I'm only hanging on now to either find something that matches pay or something else within the automotive profession.
The Following User Says Thank You to matt167 For This Useful Post:
AirwolfPJ (06-06-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 AM

I worked in a pretty bad shop years ago, they had some good mechanics but also some bad ones and a general high turnover of employees. The place had a bad rep, today the shop is long gone. Like your shop, they had a upper management problem.

But, when I applied for jobs in other shops, the stink followed me. I eventually got into something else and never looked back.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 AM

I know. I have to drive an hr to work, and there is another city 45 mins in the opposite direction of my house with good opportunities, so it shouldn't have an effect.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
I work at a tire shop, been there longer than all but one tech and was going to leave a few months ago and had a tenetive last day that was well ahead of.. Around the same time, the shop supervisor left for another job and the guy right below me got his position. I was going to leave anyway so I didn't really care... Well, this guy has turned into a real ding dong, and calling it a mismanaged shop is putting it lightly..

The shop cannot afford the loss of my presence and I'm get along with the crew so I decided to stay. This is like a month ago

Now, the mis management

Were running out of everything.
.025, .050 and .050 wheel weights are out of just about every style
We have no tire cleaner at all minus one can that's in use.
We have very little tire lube
We have 2 air lines crimped off with vice grips

Both tire machines need work. Tire machine #1 has a leaking air cylinder on the clamp jaws. That causes it to not hold a tire, unless the pedal is held up to keep the cylinder full.. Tire machine #2 needs new jaws because they are worn to the point, they do not always hold well enough.
Both machines issues reported to supervisor, and he knew about them anyway... He did No actions or requisitions from the upper management

Tire machine #1 ripped a tire/wheel off in my face while I was using it, on supervisors day off. To the point that it would no longer reliably work correctly . So I grabbed a lockout tag and locked it out, then I let the upper management know..

I did not work the day after that, but when I came back in, the lockout tag was missing and the machine still broken. One of the other co workers told me that he said, It needed service but it worked ok if you "used it right"

The issue is, this place is part of a larger corporation and management is actually listening to him ( they unlocked the lockout tag at his request ).. BUT, there cluing in as to his mis management, since I reported him for lack of professionalism when he was spray painting a coworker ( his friend, they were horsing around ) and blowing valve stems out of water bottles.. Camera system is pretty extensive

Anybody ever have these kind of issues? And yes I'm next in line for his position, and I have plans to turn the place around if it comes my way
You better tell them up front you plan to turn it around. It sounds like they like they want it this way. sounds like a front for a dope operation or something. I'd get the heck out of there it not worth your effort either way.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,796 Times in 4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
I know. I have to drive an hr to work, and there is another city 45 mins in the opposite direction of my house with good opportunities, so it shouldn't have an effect.
My job isn't perfect but damn I am blessed with only a 15 minute drive across town. Well, I guess I am not "blessed" with it, as it was a choice.

Brian
Old 07-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,796 Times in 4,344 Posts
Thought I would post a photo of me and my co-workers.

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 03:38 PM

There are only a few choices when you are working in a place that is dangerously mismanaged.
Man up and keep your mouth shut, take on the boss by going over his head, call in the state for a safety inspection, or leave. I tried for two years straight to get a place I worked at to fix problems - and I approached them with the concern and at least one fix for it. I went to every safety meeting and expressed my concerns and offered solutions. After two years I called the state. The state came in and found a lot more than I reported and told them they had 30 days to fix it or there would be fines - BIG fines. So I became the guy that was trying to close down the business, and cost everyone their jobs. I ended up leaving after a year.
What you do is up to you...
Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,008 Posts
I'm afraid if your waiting for the company to changes, You may be waiting for a long time... YOU have to do what's best for YOU !!! Move on !!!!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I'm afraid if your waiting for the company to changes, You may be waiting for a long time... YOU have to do what's best for YOU !!! Move on !!!!

Some shops are like this and it keeps chugging along making enough $$ somehow to cover up all the issues. As long as there is a decent profit, nothing will change.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Yup, I'm in the job market. Just looking for the right opportunity that points me in the right direction. For the time being, my job is secure enough so that as long as I can bear it I can look for the right job. I interviewed for another tire/ alignment shop and was offered a job as a tire tech, but turned the job down because it wasn't significantly better than what I've got. more of the same really.. I don't want to change jobs more than once or I would have just taken it. I'd rather actually turn wrenches rather than spin a tire machine. I think I need the challenge and non representativeness..

Last edited by matt167; 07-11-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:27 PM

If the other shop is good, start low and work yourself up. Anyone that is good at alignments is in good demand. But that's up to you and some guys in shops that are in a skilled position tend to protect themselves from newcomers.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 AM

I'll update this. Shop manager was fired almost 2 months ago and I have been in training to take over the position and do it correctly. Shop is getting a refurbishment with the rest of the equipment ( will be ALL brand new or less than year old ). At the end of all that, were having a re grand opening, so expectations will be high..

Ontop of that, I'm also working part time for now in my free time at a used car dealer wrenching on cars. I've known the owner for ages and his normal mechanic has some medical issues now so he needed help and called me

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in