detail guns - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Small projects

I'm new to body work. I figure it might be a good idea to start with a small project so I plan on painting my bikes tank and fenders first. I figure I need a detail gun. I have a 6gal. pancake compressor that puts out 2.6 SCFM @90PSI (I assume that's not enough) but have access to an old 20gal 8.8 SCFM @40PSI compressor. What should I be looking for in a compressor, filter and regulator for this purpose. I'm thinking of buying the Sharpe Finex FX1000. I'm I heading in the right direction?

Advertisement

Last edited by clavius; 09-10-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon

To do a paint job correctly and have enough air, you should use no less then a single stage 60 gal tank with a 6-7hp motor. You may get away with the 20 gal tank but I guarantee that it will be running all the time trying to keep up. You should have a good filter like a Sharpe where the connection will be to the hose. That way it will be filtered before it gets to the gun. DO NOT use any inline oilers in the air lines as it will introduce droplets of oil to the air hose and in turn to the paint. I have a regulator at the connection and on my guns as well. You need to know what pressure is coming out of the gun and with a regulator right there you can know for sure. Having one only at the wall connection is deceiving as for every foot of hose length you lose 2 lbs of pressure. So if you need 45 lbs of pressure to shoot a certain paint and you have 50 ft of hose, you will lose 10 lbs of pressure at the gun.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the info. Does it make any difference I'm only using a detail gun, the size of tank I mean; Clay

Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=sunsetdart]To do a paint job correctly and have enough air, you should use no less then a single stage 60 gal tank with a 6-7hp motor. QUOTE]

That's a really big compressor. 6 to 7hp is probably overrated by the manufacturer. A true 2hp compressor should be able to handle just about any painting job, and the tank size is not a factor.

Vince
Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM

That sounds more doable for me. Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavius
That sounds more doable for me. Thanks
Most if not all compressor manufacturers have at one time or another vastly over rated hp figures for their compressors. Make sure any compressor your considering list actual hp not peak.

Vince
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Ahhhhh, now I get it
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 AM

Tank size does matter........a smaller tank will have the compressor running most of the time. The tank should have enough capacity to at least get you thru the first coat without having to run to build up pressure. Air line ID size is important as well, you should use 3/8" ID line for volume.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetdart
Tank size does matter........a smaller tank will have the compressor running most of the time. The tank should have enough capacity to at least get you thru the first coat without having to run to build up pressure. Air line ID size is important as well, you should use 3/8" ID line for volume.

There are plenty of posts in this forum backing up the fact that tank size is irrelevant, a more serious consideration is compressor cfm.

Check this thread and pay close attention to reply #9. Your statement about a compressor of 6 to 7 hp leads me to believe you don't fully understand compressors.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 10-07-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine

I know this is a new venture, but buy equipment based on a out-dated compressor is not the right way to get started in this sport. If you plain to do any body work at all, the air compressor has to be up to the challenge. I would make getting a new and better air compressor my main focus, then once you have that knocked out, then you should start adding tools to your inventory. I'm not suggesting you purchase a huge 120 gallon compressor, but you do need enough volume to do the job, with out running the compressor to death. Also, those small oil-less compressors like the one you have are really junk, they don't last when you really use them for anything more then an occasional tire inflation. To do the jobs, you have to have the tools and equipment, get one that fits your needs then your wallet.
Good Luck
Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Vince..............I know all about compressors. What I didn't do is maybe get my point across on the volume needed to paint properly. And yes, CFM is important, but you can't have enough CFM if the tank and airline are too small. Try to paint a car with a 20 gallon tank, it just can't keep up with the needed CFM of air. Also ID(inside diameter) air hose is integral in the CFM output. So don't tell me I don't understand compressors.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=sunsetdart]Try to paint a car with a 20 gallon tank, it just can't keep up with the needed CFM of air. [QUOTE]

I did just that a number of years ago, painted the Camaro in my Avatar with a true 2hp 20 gallon Speedaire compressor. It did just fine, what I'm trying to get across is that tank size is the wrong criteria to base a compressor buy on. Sorry if I came across a little to rough .

Vince
Old 10-09-2008, 04:01 AM

Vince..........well, I guess everyone has their own way of doing things and get it done. I had a 20 gal tank compressor and like you said , it did work, but it worked hard . When I upgraded to a 80 gal 2 stage ,I wondered how people can use anything else. Also sorry if I got alittle PO'd too. I know everyone here is just trying to be a help. I hope I do with my experience.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:54 PM

Last journal entry: Grille

ive used that gun, its fine for starting out/learning on but I wouldnt paint anything large with it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in