Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Which direction do I need to go with this?
View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM
BowTie31 BowTie31 is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which direction do I need to go with this?

Hey guys. I have the 420hp Blueprint 383
BluePrint 383 S/B Chevy Crate Engine - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

And the valve lash has been coming out of wack lately, and its starting to become a pain. So instead of working with the cheap parts this came with, I've decided to put a new cam, pushrods, roller rockers, guide plates, etc on it. It came without guide plates, and stamped vortech style rocker arms.

My question is, what do I need to go with a roller cam, and what should I get? I've only ever ran flat tappet cams, and I've decided to spend about $2000 or so to spruce this motor up, and make it as strong as I can. But I want to be able to do the most I can without pulling the motor. Or should I just get another flat tappet? Please check the link provided above to check out the parts the motor already has.

I run it in my 1970 Monte Carlo with a fiberglass front clip, hood, front bumper, a TCI TH350, 3500 RPM stall, a 12 bolt and 4.56's. I'm just getting it all set up for the strip as close as I can, and then this whole problem arose.

I'm all for a new cam, valvetrain and intake, but don't know what to get, what I need, what would be best, etc. I run a 750 Holley double pumper, and am just curious what cam/intake combo etc I should run to be as competitive as I can at the strip, without sacrificing ALL of the car's streetability.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BowTie31; 06-29-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote