Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Disc brake conversion kits
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ford front end. Twin I beam advise. Run from it.

Run a 60-63 Ford or modern solid drop I beam axle with cross over steering and posie leaf springs. Stupid simple to set up. Cheap at around $700 for everything(shop around). Alignment is easy and the thing is strong.

It won't be IFS. As far as simplicity goes a tape measure and some basic tools can get it under there and safe at highway speeds.

It does not need to be high either. You can run springs with little arch and have a drop axle which will allow you to keep the axle center low letting you keep that engine low. The shock styles and cost will determine how "car-like" the thing rides. The leafs locate, the shocks stabilize.

Adjustability comes in the form of shocks and/or spring over shocks. Once again this is not IFS. But shy of a road course or cruising through the whoops a solid I beam makes for an easy to run and adjust front end.

Brakes can be added from a variety of companies to older axles. Some axles from various companies have provisions for disc built right in making it a simple setup using common parts that your local autoparts store stocks. Planning everything and making a parts list will make the thing more of a bolt in thing.

Last edited by cerial; 08-18-2018 at 06:44 PM.