disc brake parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

disc brake parts

I finished building a 69 Chev 3/4 ton with drum brakes, owner wa now wants front disc. I bought a used front axle assy that has disc, maybe a 70's version. Question, instead of swapping out the "axle", why not just swap the pieces I need, like just the spindles, what about the A arms or control arms ? are thy the same on drum AND disc ??????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight hawk View Post
I finished building a 69 Chev 3/4 ton with drum brakes, owner wa now wants front disc. I bought a used front axle assy that has disc, maybe a 70's version. Question, instead of swapping out the "axle", why not just swap the pieces I need, like just the spindles, what about the A arms or control arms ? are thy the same on drum AND disc ??????

First of all 2WD or 4WD, Power steering or Manual ? Now the Disc Brake Option wasn't an option untill the 71 year and 71 also had Drum Brakes but I'd suspect most did want the Disc Brakes when they bought it, that being said your find did have Disc Brakes and was probably converted in the past.

Your new Center Link/Drag Link will tell you about what you have bought and as to what you want to do with it or not. ID it first.

The Center Link/Drag Link is specific to years used, 63-70 (non disc brks) the Tie Rods have 5/8" threads going into the adjusting sleeves. Center Link for 71-72 Disc Brk era uses an 11/16" threads for the Tie Rods. As well with the 73-87 Center Like uses the same parts as 71-72 trucks IIRC.

The Spindles are specifically for Disc Brake setup 71 & up. Control A Arms IIRC are the same. Ball Joints Lowers are year specific 63-70 & 73-90, Ball Joint Uppers are year specific 60-70. Pitman Arms also are year specific as well as Power Strg and Manual Strging. Idler Arm also specific from 67-82 & 83-91.

All above facts came from my head and from "Classic Industries" currant catalog book # T218B.

******* ID ing what you have and what you want to work will save you tones of wasted moneys spent if you get the wrong parts bought incorrectly. Ask some of us how we know, including me.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:58 PM

the 69 is manual and "new" one has power steering. Considering the tie rods and stuff, then switching the complete assy will be the way, thank you very much ...

Old 12-20-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Actually you'd be better off just swapping the hole engine cross member. You also could swap a later (73 & up) maybe (73-87) IIRC they will swap with little to no problems. Then you have your disc brakes with 5 lug for better selection of wheels and you could also swap the rear axle also then having 5 lug as well.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:15 AM

Still on the 2wd or 4wd question.

If this is 4wd. Then yes simple axle swap will work. Adjust your tie rod, do an alignment, and your done. Your pit man arm may be a different length going from manual to power.
Upgrading to manual locking hubs while your changing the rotors is a good move.

If 4wd they have 6 or 8 lugs. The 1/2 and some 3/4 ton are the same axle with 6 lugs. Some 3/4 tons(still a 1/2 ton axle) are 8 lug. You can change from a 6 lug to a 8 lug by using the 3/4 ton(late 70's dana 44) 8 lug hubs, rotors, calipers, and brackets.

It all bolts right up. But then you have a 1/2 ton front and a 3/4 ton or 1 ton rear. Best to just throw a 60 up there if going to 8 lug if you plan on abusing it.

If you just want easier to find rims like H2 rims and the thing will be light duty then bolting up the 8 lug stuff to the 44/10bolt axle works out fine.

NONE of the above applies if 2wd.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:15 AM

Ok, sorry guys, it is a 3/4 ton, 2wheel drive, 4-speed tranny with the granny gear, built up 454 in front. Has manual steering and manual drum brakes.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Ok, sorry guys, it is a 3/4 ton, 2wheel drive, 4-speed tranny with the granny gear, built up 454 in front. Has manual steering and manual drum brakes.

My suggestions above still apply. Don't take my word you need to research thoroughly knowing what you have and what you want will save you time and money.

Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:03 PM

just a follow up, here.....I delivered the truck to the owners place . and will deliver the front axle assy soon. Now, "they" don't plan on coming here (where the truck is at the father;s place) till after the school year, that's like June ? So it's in there yard now....thanks guys

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in