Do you have to spend $1400 a gallon to get quality paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Do you have to spend $1400 a gallon to get quality paint?

Have we reached the point that we have to spend $1400 for a gallon of paint (includes catalyst and reducer) to get quality paint? I have been to several paint jobbers and the story was the same. They had their economy line in the $300 range and then they had their premium line in the $1400 range. A lot of people on the forum are saying not to buy the economy line because the quality is just not there. I want to do a quality job but don't want to spend $1400 for a gallon of paint. What is the answer to this dilemma?

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 AM
Banned

Well then you are left with Hot Rod Black!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

You do not have to spend that kind of money.. Some judicious shopping and you can have a great job..most of it is in the painter anyway..

Sam

Old 05-08-2014, 05:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

A lot of the cost of paint is what's in that gallon. If it has any red pigment, lots of bucks. Any pearl, add a few (lot?) more of those B Franklins. Put some sparkly metal stuff in ---- you can get the picture. I did my '31 in 2009 and a gallon of DuPont ChromaBase Venetian Orange, a common late Mustang color and it was over $600 a gallon and I used a bit more. Then add the reducer and catalyst. This then brings up you choice - are there other colors that aren't as expensive? Sure. Do they look good? Absolutely. You make your choice and pay accordingly - and you can thank our great EPA for helping that price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irelands child For This Useful Post:
TxStang (05-14-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 05:27 AM

www.smartshoppersinc.com
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
I bought a gallon of top quality SS, solid color RED paint for somewhere around 350.00 with the hardener.....SPI...check them out
Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 AM

When talking automotive paint, price is not a good quality indicator anymore. There was a time when low price meant low quality in this business but that is no longer the rule. There are some affordable brands out their like ourselves (UreKem), SPI, Pro Spray, and House of Kolor that make a great product for a reasonable price. I know HOK is a name brand but the price is often much less than other name brands.

We can set you up with a kit with gallon kit of epoxy primer, gallon kit high build urethane, gallon of base, gallon of clear, and all needed activators and reducers for less than $500. That includes the expensive colors like bright reds, yellows and 2 stage pearls or metallics. Use our system and we'll stand behind it. You can browse colors and products over here: Buy Discount Auto Paint Online for you Car or Motorcycle

Having worked for a market leading brand with manufacturing in North America and Europe, I know what it cost to make quality automotive products. The cost of what goes in the can is a small part of the big "name" brands cost.

There are some poor covering short life cheap products out there but there are some good ones out there as well. Unfortunately, people have used the cheaper ones with bad results and incorrectly assume all low cost products are no good.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 AM

I will put my little bit in here again. I am using Wanda - absolutely love it! It out performs many name brands that I have been spraying over the years (I wont list them out). From primers to clear - I think it is just great. I got a gallon of red metallic (Laser Red) - less than $300 for the color.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Banned

To TCS if you know Hotrodman & his posts he wants to blend it, as the whole car does not need to be painted. by him they will only sell him a gallon to guarantee color match. Can TCS to that!!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 AM

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only if someone's a =FOOL!!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
To TCS if you know Hotrodman & his posts he wants to blend it, as the whole car does not need to be painted. by him they will only sell him a gallon to guarantee color match. Can TCS to that!!
Can and will. I offered to him once before. He can send us a piece to match and we'll match it for him if the jobber doesn't take care of him. Will do in single stage or base. His Nason paint supplier should take care of him since he spent a lot of money with him already.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCoatingStore For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (05-10-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
I've never used pro spray or Wanda but many ,many pros say they are also very good and reasonable...Paint kits sound like a gimic aimed at newbies.
So theres a few good brands to choose from and if you want to know what the pros think of them all you have to do is go the search at the top of the page type in the brand of paint (check them all out) and see what the pros think about them...all the information is right here with a quick search...
Old 05-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I've never used pro spray or Wanda but many ,many pros say they are also very good and reasonable...Paint kits sound like a gimic aimed at newbies.
So theres a few good brands to choose from and if you want to know what the pros think of them all you have to do is go the search at the top of the page type in the brand of paint (check them all out) and see what the pros think about them...all the information is right here with a quick search...
Have used a lot of pro spray and will say that it sprays just like deltron dbc with just as good of coverage. But at almost half the price of deltron. Know of guys that use the wanda and like that too. There are a lot of options for base coats out there.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 AM

Is anyone else using auto air colors? I like it , the price is good, it covers well, pretty easy to shoot. I am NOT a painter by any means, but I have had some success with the stuff. I am sure a true paint professional could do a lot better. Maybe it's because I am in California, but water base paint is here to stay, so I figured I had better to learn to use it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in