Does anyone own a Homak Tool Box? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Does anyone own a Homak Tool Box?

I'm in the market for a new tool cabinet and am considering the Homak line carried by Northern Tool and Summit Racing. I'm looking at their Professional and H2Pro lines. No one carries them near me to compare the quality differences. I plan to order a top and bottom box online. On paper, it looks like the Professional series is similar to a Craftsman, Kennedy, or Husky quality. That's what I have now and would like something a little heavier duty. The H2Pro series looks to be a bit heavier duty, more like the quality of a MAC or Snapon box. Any info on your experience with the Homak brand and which version is appreciated.

Thanks ~ Lenny B

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I have one of the new H2Pro boxes with top box, its the narrow 36" size. In Canada they are sold by Costco and have a custom design not listed on the Homak website, basically all medium and large drawers on the bottom box and small and medium full width drawers on the top.

Very inexpensive for the quality, wheels are heavy duty and so is the side handle. Have nothing but praise for the unit, best purchase I've made in a long time. The only thing I don't care for is the top lid locks the top drawers, I don't often use the top section so having to open it to access the top drawers is a PITA...for me anyway.

I would definitely buy another Homak product.

— Han Solo
Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck View Post
I have one of the new H2Pro boxes with top box, its the narrow 36" size. In Canada they are sold by Costco and have a custom design not listed on the Homak website, basically all medium and large drawers on the bottom box and small and medium full width drawers on the top.

Very inexpensive for the quality, wheels are heavy duty and so is the side handle. Have nothing but praise for the unit, best purchase I've made in a long time. The only thing I don't care for is the top lid locks the top drawers, I don't often use the top section so having to open it to access the top drawers is a PITA...for me anyway.

I would definitely buy another Homak product.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going with the H2Pro model.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:04 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,266 Posts
You might want to make a trip down to Harbor Freight. Their tool boxes are very good quality and the price is outstanding. I really don't think you can find a better deal.
In my own shop I have Press Steel, Mac, Snap-On, Kennedy, and HF boxes. All good. Some are over seventy years old.
If I were still working in a shop I wouldn't have them. I wouldn't want to put up with the BS from other mechanics, but for home use they are great. I wouldn't buy their cheapy bottom line box.

You might want to take a look.

BB
Old 02-03-2017, 10:23 AM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

I have a Homak box. I bought it 17 years ago. I picked it up at a Costco store. Oh let me clarify that, The wife bought it for me. It is BIG. it is 2 tier a top and a bottom It stays stationary in my shop and I use a couple of rolling carts to hold the tools I am working with at the time. I have no complaints except that being tall it is hard for me to reach the top from my chair. I love the box it ain't fancy but meets my requirements.

Let me say that snap on, Mac, etc make good tool boxes. However that said I think all of the high priced boxes are to expensive. I mean $7000 for a tool box it better get up feed me breakfast and keep my coffee hot all day. I really can't see paying that much for a big name box! Sure it would be nice to have ball bearing slides and auto close drawers and a fancy paint job. Does it help me be better at what I do? NO I have seen too many mechanics spend way too much on boxes. Think of all the specialized tools you could buy for 7 grand. Nope plane jane is my choice. Of courst too small and to cheep a box won't work either but look what you can save by buying less expensive.

Just my 0.001 cents worth.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:54 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,266 Posts
RIP brought up a good point. Make sure that ANY box you buy has ball bearing slides.I personally have worn out slide channels in three tool boxes in my career as a mechanic (Snap-On and Mac). That being said my boxes always had too much heavy junk and tools in them. My first box was my father's Press Steel and it had rollers. in seventy years I wore out one roller.

BB
Old 02-03-2017, 08:10 PM

Another vote for the Harbor Freight General tool boxes. The red boxes are pretty good. The black boxes are typical light weight crap, but the red ones are very heavy with good casters. I have the 44" lower section with an add on drawer unit on the end.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 PM

My shop has a 4x" homak with a side locker for shop tools. It's pretty similar quality to the harbor freight box hotrod46 mentioned. They're closer to truck brand quality than to something like husky. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM

My old man has the better quality HF boxes. Only complaint is one of his is fairly tall for its base...if I tried to move it fully loaded, it'd probably keel over and squarsh me.

Now:
A. Its over loaded
B. We have a tool cart to put job specific tools in

At my home garage, Im using a small craftsman box I inherited, plus I keep many of my tools on magnetic strips on the wall because I lack floor space.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in