Door jamns in single stage then base clear the rest? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwighty390 View Post
Can't really disagree with that. There is nothing inherently wrong with this as it helps keep things fool proof if you don't know what you should do. More often than not, each manufacturer is going to recommend a cleaner under it's own brand.

If you look at wax and grease remover labels and make up, you will find that they are just a mix of other solvents often containing napthas and mineral spirits. Not surprising since there is no such chemical as "wax and grease remover" and it has to be made of something.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/do...SDS-1700.4.pdf

Oh no! The Klean Strip one contains "petroleum distillates!"

https://apps.sherwin-automotive.com/...glish/1133.pdf

This one from Sherwin Williams actually shows mineral spirits specifically as the sole active ingredient.

https://www.mchem.co.nz/site/mchem/M...VER%20MSDS.PDF

Prepsol is getting more cryptic and shows "turpentine substitute" and "pegasol"...hmm those don't sound like actual chemicals.

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...e_Spirits1.pdf

Low and behold! "Pegasol 1425" shows "white spirits" as the name of the document and "petroleum spirits" IN the document...

The concern over the word "petroleum" is absolutely silly when you see how common it is. A good mineral spirits *IS* a proper cleaner (I've always used the sunny side or klean strip brands, I believe).

Of the 2 actual wax and grease removers I've owned, I haven't been able to tell any difference other than less generic packaging and cost.
Ok, so I was wrong on the term petroleum distillates, but some of those are a labeled product for the specific purpose and some are not. I'm not a chemist. A $7 can of mineral spirits sitting on the shelf at Ace hardware may or may not be the same thing. I don't know if ace hardware refines their product to the same degree or not or any other additives etc.. Most hadware store mineral spirits are labeled for the reduction and cleanup of oil based paints.

While you're using commercially labeled products for the purpose yourself, you're suggesting to others any old mineral spirits will do. Maybe it'll work out maybe it won't. Not something I would take a chance on when getting ready to lay down $700 worth of basecoat.

Brian nailed it. A lot of paint issues come back to deviation from the plan.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster_G View Post
Ok, so I was wrong on the term petroleum distillates, but some of those are a labeled product for the specific purpose and some are not. I'm not a chemist. A $7 can of mineral spirits sitting on the shelf at Ace hardware may or may not be the same thing. I don't know if ace hardware refines their product to the same degree or not or any other additives etc.. Most hadware store mineral spirits are labeled for the reduction and cleanup of oil based paints.

While you're using commercially labeled products for the purpose yourself, you're suggesting to others any old mineral spirits will do. Maybe it'll work out maybe it won't. Not something I would take a chance on when getting ready to lay down $700 worth of basecoat.

Brian nailed it. A lot of paint issues come back to deviation from the plan.
I know I have mineral spirits from my local hardware store, and it seems MIGHTY "oily!" There is NO WAY I would want to use it on my auto paint work!

Now, this could mean nothing, I don't know, it just has such a creepy oily feeling to it. I do use it for what it is intended, for cleaning paint brushes with enamel house paint on them.

Brian
Old 01-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,779 Times in 2,837 Posts
On the shelf at work, once upon a time there was DX330. Then came a water based degreaser. Then DX320 appeared, same as DX330 but faster drying. Now DX330 went away and theres SX330. Don't start me lying, I don't paint these days. But it seems there have been changes, lol. What always worked for me is sticking to manufacturer-recommended products. My Junior Chemist set is put away next to Mr Potato Head. IF you expect the paint manufacturer to stand behind any material which may turn out to be defective down the road... a guy better have stuck to the tech sheet.

For the sake of relevance and mercy-

I initally passed this thread over. Sounded to me like the OP was getting the needed guidance. So I also passed on posting an example. Here on page 4, I have time so heres that:

The color match is the decider for me on this question, and that requires buying the paint. I was doing an old Impala and for underneath, the owner wanted to try single stage. Here is the comparison, see for yourself-

Thats the same PPG formula number. Deltron basecoat on top, Omni single stage on bottom. The single stage was highly transparent and not close enough for my customer, even for under the car. It got used on a trailer.

Solid British Racing green, on the other hand, might have a sporting chance at a match and might cover great. But I think most will find that using cheaper color on part of the same vehicle is, on average, in the majority of possible scenarios, a sideways move at best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Hipster_G (01-05-2019), MARTINSR (01-05-2019)

Old 01-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I know I have mineral spirits from my local hardware store, and it seems MIGHTY "oily!" There is NO WAY I would want to use it on my auto paint work!

Now, this could mean nothing, I don't know, it just has such a creepy oily feeling to it. I do use it for what it is intended, for cleaning paint brushes with enamel house paint on them.

Brian
Yes, it is oily. It's just weird stuff. For whatever reason I just can't stand to get it on my hands and actually get a little trippy over touching stuff and tracking it around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hipster_G For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-05-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster_G View Post
Yes, it is oily. It's just weird stuff. For whatever reason I just can't stand to get it on my hands and actually get a little trippy over touching stuff and tracking it around.
Maybe this is why I can't win at a slot machine. I'm using all my luck up elsewhere!
The Following User Says Thank You to dwighty390 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Capt Mike

I Recommend that if one is using Auto Paint maker "ABC", then it would be appropriate to utilize their reducers, catalysts, wax remover and so on from the same "ABC" company.

one can also Download when possible and read all the Tech Notes for the particular paint product one is applying. Some makers have Videos. I Trust the Maker of the particular product Exclusively,,, , not a user of that product

Questions, give their Tech Support a phone call of send an email. It is a FREE service

Paint, Primer, Fillers, and Prep work ETC. on Steel, Aluminum or Fiberglass can be very different.

Enjoy Painting, it is very rewarding !!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in