Dumb question regarding aftermarket speedometer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dumb question regarding aftermarket speedometer

Hi all, so I got a new engine in my car and my original 1947 speedometer that's currently in the car doesn't work (wasn't working when I bought the car). The speedometer cable is missing and I would assume that the original speedometer cable wouldn't even be compatible with a TH350 transmission. So currently I'm using a speedometer app on my phone to keep track of the miles on the new motor. So, my question is: If I buy an aftermarket speedometer would I be able to input the current odometer miles on the new unit? I'm thinking of going with a GPS sending unit for simplicity sake. Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 09:55 PM

Thanked 1,293 Times in 1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Ford Coupe Delux View Post
Hi all, so I got a new engine in my car and my original 1947 speedometer that's currently in the car doesn't work (wasn't working when I bought the car). The speedometer cable is missing and I would assume that the original speedometer cable wouldn't even be compatible with a TH350 transmission. So currently I'm using a speedometer app on my phone to keep track of the miles on the new motor. So, my question is: If I buy an aftermarket speedometer would I be able to input the current odometer miles on the new unit? I'm thinking of going with a GPS sending unit for simplicity sake. Thanks for any suggestions.
There used to be speedometer shops in most larger towns, but they may have gone with the dodo bird in this age of electronics, but if one exists somewhere near you they can test and rebuild your stock speedo and certainly fabricate a cable between your Th350 and Ford dash panel.

For a quick commercial source is Speedway Motors who still do a lot of old time hotrod conversion parts. Their online store will drive you nuts, the search engine sucks big time so if you can't find it doesn't mean they don't have it, call them and while on the phone get them to send you all their catalogs, there's different stuff in each with little reason in many cases as to why.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogiesAnnex1 View Post
There used to be speedometer shops in most larger towns, but they may have gone with the dodo bird in this age of electronics, but if one exists somewhere near you they can test and rebuild your stock speedo and certainly fabricate a cable between your Th350 and Ford dash panel.

For a quick commercial source is Speedway Motors who still do a lot of old time hotrod conversion parts. Their online store will drive you nuts, the search engine sucks big time so if you can't find it doesn't mean they don't have it, call them and while on the phone get them to send you all their catalogs, there's different stuff in each with little reason in many cases as to why.

Bogie

What about a new speedometer? Can I input the mileage on those so I don't have to start from zero?

Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,926 Times in 2,181 Posts
I never have experienced any speedo problems so don't really know what to tell you, other than you might call one of the specialty shops and ask what they can to for you......
https://www.instrumentclusterstore.c...YaAlViEALw_wcB
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (11-27-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 03:34 PM
True Hotrodder

Quote:
What about a new speedometer? Can I input the mileage on those so I don't have to start from zero?

Yes and no.

If you fix up a short drive for the new speedo - assuming it's mechanical then yes you can spin it with an electric drill - just don't be surprised at how long it takes.

If you are going with an electronic unit then you need to ask the manufacturer about it - I sort of doubt it but it might be possible.

BTW - I had a '49 Ford for a few years and if I remember correctly the size of the distributer drive end was the same as the Chevy stuff. If your original speedo is just lacking a drive you might check for a kit to make your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasracer For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:22 PM

Wink

I guess not many folks here are using aftermarket speedometers

There are so many aftermarket speedometers online I'm even having a hard time choosing one. I guess my dilemma is whether to get a GPS sending unit or the electronic sending unit which is cheaper but I have no idea what it takes to install. I do know the GPS is a breeze to install but i't much more expensive.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:24 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!

This company,

https://transmissioncenter.net/home/

helped me with the speedometer in my 50 Chevy Styleline. One of their cables connected to my TH350 along with the proper gear (they will help you with selection) and my speedometer is within 2 mph of being accurate.

I use one of these in my Model A pickup,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...53.m2749.l2658
Old 11-30-2018, 08:43 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

I don't know if it applies to your vehicle, but in most states when you replace a speedometer there is certification paperwork you fill out that shows the reading on the old speedometer, and the starting mileage of the new speedometer. Filing that paperwork removes the possibility of being fined for selling a vehicle with an altered speedometer.

In some states the speedometer certification is not required if the vehicle is a minimum number of years old, so that's why it might not apply to a classic/antique vehicle.

Bruce
Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
This company,

https://transmissioncenter.net/home/

helped me with the speedometer in my 50 Chevy Styleline. One of their cables connected to my TH350 along with the proper gear (they will help you with selection) and my speedometer is within 2 mph of being accurate.

I use one of these in my Model A pickup,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...53.m2749.l2658

Those GPS ones seem very cheap. Are they pretty reliable and do they have odometer? Thanks
Old 11-30-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
I don't know if it applies to your vehicle, but in most states when you replace a speedometer there is certification paperwork you fill out that shows the reading on the old speedometer, and the starting mileage of the new speedometer. Filing that paperwork removes the possibility of being fined for selling a vehicle with an altered speedometer.

In some states the speedometer certification is not required if the vehicle is a minimum number of years old, so that's why it might not apply to a classic/antique vehicle.

Bruce

Thanks, but I don't think this would apply to a 71 year old car.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!

Quote:
Those GPS ones seem very cheap. Are they pretty reliable and do they have odometer? Thanks
No odometer. Using a regular GPS, mine was within a couple miles an hour. There's also a phone app "Speedview" that seems pretty accurate.

I installed an hour meter on my Model A to keep up with usage for routine maintenance.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:20 PM

I have tossed a Garmen Nuvi on the floor which turns on with the key then used a phone app for the speed. Garmen keeps mileage and thats about all I used it for. Had one when driving OTR I had 355,000 or something before the thing fried.

They don't work in tunnels or such. But they are more accurate then most old mechanical speedometers.

I have always checked the exceeds mechanical limits box mileage wise to be safe. Unless your the original owner someone could have swapped out that cluster without you knowing.

I like using a phone app because it shows you things like traffic, curves, your speed, and in some cases posted speed.

Like I can be going down a country road in the middle of nowhere and see I have a red spot(slow traffic) up ahead where other people have slowed down. That tells me there is a stop sign miles before I see a stop ahead sign.

Same thing with curves. If your going down a back road a bit faster then you should and suddenly have a curve you did not expect things can get bad. But by seeing how tight that curve is you can adjust for it ahead of time.

Big thing is warnings. Some apps like waze allow you to set limits. Like if I go 5 above a ring around my speed goes red. Going 10 above the posted speed goes large kind of yelling at me before I get pulled over.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 PM

https://www.intellitronix.com

yes, you can program the miles in these.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in