Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
What you are getting in a can of ready-to-spray lacquer is at least 75% solvent. The very best top of the line solvent for auto refinish is about $45 a gallon, which comes to $11.25 a quart. I doubt Duplicolor is using the best stuff!

So, for your $22, you are getting at most 8 ounces of stuff that will actually be on the car once it dries. Other than durability, this is the main problem with this paint, it seems inexpensive but it is not, once you see how many coats it takes to have enough on the vehicle to buff. The last lacquer job I did took 10 coats, and that can be seen as fairly minimal, actually, since while buffing there turned out to be a few burn-throughs that could have been avoided with more coats.

To put 10 coats on an average car, you will need at minimum 10 quarts of ready to spray material, depending on gun and spray style.

Cost for an inferior Duplicolor lacquer job: At least $220 in topcoat alone.

Urethane can be had for less, and even a cheap urethane is WAY better than lacquer, especially for a beater vehicle. Lacquer takes a lot of TLC to stay looking halfway nice.

You'd have to be a total bonehead not to realize this, it's not rocket science, for Pete's sake!
Look I think it fits there market that it!

I like the lacquer paints used it for year on my first car my photo's show that paint job. all my offroad stuff easy to fix touch up. A plus for me!
All the new paints with peeling hoods fenders and cabs real good stuff there! plus being complicated to uses and real easy to mess up!

SO far they had some paid pro's paint with it. It did not look half Bad seems to cover well so there you go. All the paid Pros said 'it just a starter paint easy to use just pour and paint. Does not replace a pro system!, But! You save a ton of money" "because you don't have to buy all the pros stuff to paint" That's the sales pitch! The money in buying all the pro stuff not just the paint.

My son is going to bang and scratch the heck out of his first ride! I'm not going to lay down a ton of money on paint that's plain stupid. I've seen it happen time and time again a kid get a 1,500 - 2,000 paint job an boom wrecks it weeks later. Half of my son's friends have smash up there first cars.

So bonehead! HMMM! Ya! I don't think so for a kids first ride.

Craig