E-Torque Milwaukee System! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2019, 06:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

E-Torque Milwaukee System!

Good evening, I've been seeing ads for Dodge's new E-Torque system that claims to add up to 100 ft lbs of torque, so I've been wondering could someone duplicate this system with a Milwaukee impact driver that has 1,000 lbs to an engine and therefor receive a 1,000 lbs of torque? My idea is to attach a pulley to the impact driver then to the belt drive of an all mechanical 350 Chevrolet. Tell me you're thoughts! I'm very curious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	447237  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 PM

Only thing I can say is try it and see if it works! You'll know if it works when you snap an axle or other weak point in the driveline. By the way, who will you put under the hood to pull the trigger? I can see you now showing up at Street Outlaws with TWIN impact drivers. Guy under the hood could do double duty...but must wear a helmet. With that much power just hook a set of jumper cables to the alternator and power the town, you'll be rolling in cash. While on the subject of cash, I'm a little short right now and I can make you a great deal on this bridge I own in New York...
Old 08-29-2019, 07:14 PM

Do you think there is any danger to damage the motor by using an impact driver on a pulley then attached to the crank? I believe it will work I have a impact driver that has only 450 LBS of torque I'll try it with but in my mind its the same as E-Torque? I'll have the throttle rigged up via cable "safely"

Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM

Now that I think about it more, yes you should start slow. What about using an egg beater to start with, then go to one of those battery operated misting fans. Key word here is ramp up slowly. For safety, wear a flack jacket and jack the rear wheels off the ground (it is rear wheel drive right?).
The Following User Says Thank You to 39 master For This Useful Post:
joe_padavano (08-30-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 AM

If anything this will cost you power.

Engine turning at idle of lets say 700 rpm. Electric drill motor with "450 ft/lbs" turns at 50 rpm.

See the issue?

Now if it was on the diff itself like one of those alternatior pully setups that run off the pinion where you then run the drill in place of a alternator. Then you had the drill directly turning the pinion yoke with the transmission disconnected via clutch or torque converter. THEN for low rpm take off you might have "assist" there.

But that is the only way I see any benefit of this.

Of course then you need to factor in belt slip. Or chain drag when the drill is not being used if the thing is even allowed to free spin.
The cost, wiring, battery changes, and so on lend this to being more work then it is worth.

The idea of storing engery for take off assist has been used for years. Both with hydraulic, air, pumps turning the driveshaft. Usually using engine deceleration to store engery providing engine braking. Then using that stored accumulated engery to assist in acceleration saving fuel.
This can also be done with electric motors.
But the hydraulic, pneumatic, and electric systems all add weight so it is more suited to a heavy truck.
That is not saying that with the proper motor turning a driveshaft with the clutch disconnected you could not have some impressive "assistance". Some sports cars use this system.

But the drill your showing is not that motor.

The drill uses gearing reduction to make that torque. So several hundred rpm at say 20 ft/lbs turns into 500 ft/lbs at 50rpm. Then this being a impact you have the anvil to play with. But that can be removed easily enough.

I just dont see the benefit of running the setup in the first picture.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:39 AM

I would sell the idea to Elon Musk. Even if it doesn't work he could still raise millions(He can sell ice cubes to an Eskimo)in capital for the two of you and your out of it if spontaneous combustion becomes an issue.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:59 AM

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,130 Posts
Read the link and observe the pictures of operation then report back as to whether this system would work for this use.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_wrench

Bogie
Old 08-31-2019, 04:02 PM

Thank you, I was planning on using pulley to get the impact the same speed as the motor but it seems you are very familiar with these assist ideas, thank you sir for you're reply, guess I'll just go with nitrous $400 and I know it will work!
The Following User Says Thank You to riv123 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (08-31-2019)

Tags
custom, dodge, electric car, hybrid

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in