E3 Plugs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

E3 Plugs

Any experience or advice on using E-3 plugs in an LS-5.3? (2006 GMC Siera)?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Run ac delco iridium plugs and check/change them every 30k for a 300,000 mile engine.

Acdelco for "American" or NGK for imports has always worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
Vincent77 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 04:57 PM

ACDelco parts are not made in America any longer. That part of GM was spun off to foreign companies about 1995 after the GM bankruptcy.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp

Last photo:

Long Answer... I hang out at a couple of Camaro and LS Sites and currently have a 649 RWHP LSA ZL1, (it replaced my 600HP Procharged 2SS/RS LS3 Camaro. You DO NOT want E3 Plugs for your LS, there are literally hundreds of post (and disappointed people) who tried them. Lost power and response, bad idle, stumble issues, you name it. Everyone went back to TR6's or ACDelco Iridium, I happen to do well with TR6's.

Short answer... Might work great for some but i've seen to many LS owners very unhappy with them
The Following User Says Thank You to ProStreetRob For This Useful Post:
Vincent77 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 PM

Denso spark plugs are the best you can buy. Made by our friends in Japan.
The Following User Says Thank You to MouseFink For This Useful Post:
Vincent77 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

Thanked 1,024 Times in 815 Posts
Copper is a better conductor of heat and electricty than these rare earth metals. That stuff is used by the manufacturers to meet the EPA mileage requirements for repair or replacement of emission related parts, in other words for people who don't maintain their engines in a responsible manner.

The advertising people went gaga over these things see how much money can be made selling "a pig in a poke" to everybody based on some magic performance improvement. That is there if you compare new rare earths to high mileage copper plugs, but for new to still serviceable copper plugs not so much.

Bogie

Last edited by BogiesAnnex1; 06-20-2019 at 12:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
2001Blazer4x4 (06-24-2019), Vincent77 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

If the plug fires the cylinder, there IS NO difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnsongrass1 For This Useful Post:
Vincent77 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:09 AM

E-3

Thanks, all. Son, Eric gives the same advice (ASE Master Tech.); I was curious to see if there was a general consensus one way or the other. Again, sometimes one can over think a problem, and sometimes simple is better.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1 View Post
If the plug fires the cylinder, there IS NO difference.
Pretty much. We dynoed pretty much every available plug in the 2000's for our
NE Supermodified and with a properly maintained ignition system there was nothing that stood out outside the margin of error. Good ole Autolite racing plugs worked best for our setup.
Rip VW (06-24-2019), Vincent77 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM

You would use iridium fine wire spark plug that will last for more than 60, 000 miles if you had to change spark plugs every 10, 000 miles on an engine in today’s crowded engine compartments.

The new cars today will never have their spark plugs replaced by the original owner. Iridium electrode spark plugs can sometimes last for the life of the engine.

In 1995, GM started installing NGK iridium electrode spark plugs in Corvettes. Engine compartments that are loaded with emissions, air conditioning, power accessories, cruise control devices, electronics, and other luxury accessories that are not necessary for a high performance engine can use iridium spark plugs that will last for 60,000 miles.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar View Post
Pretty much. We dynoed pretty much every available plug in the 2000's for our
NE Supermodified and with a properly maintained ignition system there was nothing that stood out outside the margin of error. Good ole Autolite racing plugs worked best for our setup.
Absolutely ..........

Pep
Old 06-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Mark Goulette

Gimmick plugs, just like split fires were. There is no plug that will increase performance in an engine just due to the plug itself. If you improve performance when you change them, it just means what you had needed to be replaced. The newer plugs such as iridium aren't in the cars to improve performance, they are there because they don't need to be changed as often. Nothing more. If a plug fires the mixture, does it reliably, there is nothing more to it.

As to my preference, I prefer NGK and Autolite. Run both in my dragster, NGK are much easier to read but the Autolite seem to last a bit longer.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to predator carb guru For This Useful Post:
2001Blazer4x4 (06-24-2019), Vincent77 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

My experience was exactly opposite of everything above.

Back in 2013 I bought a 2006 expedition that had about 104k on the clock. Ran very well but after a few thousand miles developed a hard miss due to a bad coil.

Figuring at that mileage I was due for plugs anyway I had the one new coil installed and ordered new plugs. Found out that it had E3 plugs installed but decided to replace them all anyway since I didn’t know how old they were. Shop put in the 1-piece champions as they usually do for that engine.

Truck ran noticeably worse with the new plugs. At idle misfires were very noticeable with the new plugs where it ran very smooth at idle before I had them changed.

80,000 miles later the champions started failing and I had them replaced with motorcraft plugs. No real noticeable difference between the champions and
Motorcraft.

Bottom line is that the truck never ran as good as it did for the first few thousand miles with the e3. I thought very hard about using the e3 the second time around but that truck is such a pain to change plugs in i decided not to chance anything and use OEM plugs.

I’m not saying any of this in hopes of convincing anyone of anything. Just sharing my experience. The visibly worn e3 ran better than the brand new champions.

To me, it makes some sense. They fire more like an autolite racing plug, or an edge gap plug.

Just my thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to meborder For This Useful Post:
Vincent77 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 AM

I “side-gapped” Champion J12Y spark plugs in a Pontiac 455 engine. That motor had 1967 closed chamber heads and it seem to have more power and response with them. It took about 15 minutes to side-gap each spark plug and the performance gain was not worth the time it took to modify them.

If I was competing in drag race events, and you can win or lose by a tenth of a second, it may be worth the time spent side-gapping the spark plugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to MouseFink For This Useful Post:
Vincent77 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 05:46 AM
Mark Goulette

Champion plugs are pretty much junk, and I've found that Motorcraft aren't much better. To compare those to any other plug, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't do any better. I've replaced brand new champions on cars that drivers were complaining of misfires and poor performance with AC Delco, NGK, ND, Autolite, and Bosch and cured the issues. To say you ran the champions for 80,000 miles tells me that they couldn't be that bad in your application. For me, I won't put champion or Motorcraft in any vehicle...for any reason.

I stand by my original post, E3 plugs are also junk. The racing teams that are sponsored by them DO NOT run their gimmick plugs either, they run a conventional plug supplied by E3. That should tell you something.

Brisk also makes a very good plug but they are very expensive....Autolite Racing Plugs are already side gapped. I like to use them after I've tuned an engine, not while tuning as they are much harder to read. NGK are about the best for tuning and most popular as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to predator carb guru For This Useful Post:
Vincent77 (06-23-2019)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in