early 90's LS1 in a 68 firebird???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

early 90's LS1 in a 68 firebird????

hey all new to this site....... so hey, now i'm going to be working on a 68 firebird it's my brother in laws and he is purchasing a corvette motor and wants it put in there just wondering what all things need to be be changed to put this motor in. for starters. i'm sure mounts need to be moved, are there going to be holes to bolt the lower mounts in or are they going to be welded in. next is everything going to clear and then where is the cross member going to be moved its going to be a 6 speed tranny out of a vet. also is the shifter going to be way off its has a munsie 4 speed in it right now. just wondering if this is a possible swap i'm sure anything is possible but looking not to get too crazy like to keep the car close to stock minus the motor and tranny. have everything look like it is supposed to be there. also what do i need to worry about the computer set up in this car he's getting the comp. with the motor also does the gas tank need to be changed due to going to fuel injection or can you run an in line pump. welll answer the best to your knowledge and hopefully i can get somewhat of an idea to tell him.

also i told him maybe consider a carb. crate motor would that be a better option. thanks alot hope to get some good help....... thanks joey

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Swapping to a Chevy can be done, but in my opinion, it is a big mistake. My son and my former brother-in-law had a '69 bird that was sold to a guy that pulled the 400 out and put in a built 350 Chevy, and lost almost 2 seconds, on the strip, for all his work. Also that car would be worth more with a Pontiac in it.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 AM

so it can be done but what does it all entail? Like i said maybe instead of getting crazy with alll this chevy heart beeing put in.. would he be better off builiding the 400 thats in there and going from there thats what i would prefer him to do but he has alot of crazy ideas so what is the best build for a poncho 400? bore, stroke, cam, it has a e-brock rpm intake right now and a 650 e-brock carb but something with the tranny is going wrong. well open for opinions should the 400 stay and be built to what he's looking for (450 hp or so) or should he we go through all the pissing and moaning of stuffing a gm heart in her......thanks again joey......

Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

"would he be better off builiding the 400 thats in there and going from there thats what i would prefer him to do but he has alot of crazy ideas so what is the best build for a poncho 400? bore,"

It depends on what he wants to do with it, street, street/strip, hard core race, or ......., and how deep his pocket is. For a street/strip, if it were me, I'd get a stroker kit from one of the Pontiac venders, such as Butler Performance. Forged Scat 4.25 stroke crank, Eagle 6.8 H beam rods, and Ross 4.151 or 4.181 pistons, if a sonic test shows that it's safe, Edelbrock 87cc heads, and a Comp Cam Extreme Energy 262 or, if he can stand the lumpy idle, the XE 282 hydraulic cam. It'll just about rip your head off at 50 mph.

Last edited by WDCreech; 07-10-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

97 was the first year for ls series motors.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in