Eastwood Air CFS shop air filter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Eastwood Air CFS shop air filter

What do you painters think about this filter for small and infrequent jobs?

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-ai...on-system.html

I already have a particulate/water filter that I use for air tools, but I want take it a step further. Have an upcoming project where I want to paint a tailgate, and maybe go beyond that some day.

If I bought this filter, would I need to use the optional desiccant filter when painting to remove moisture, or will a small throw-away filter work in-line with the gun?

My upgraded shop air line isn't in place yet, but the two filters will be 15-20 ft away from compressor, and the piping will have at least two drains at the bottom of vertical runs.

Thanks for your comments.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Probably not a bad choice, but I think you could probably shop around and find a .1 micron or even a .01 micron for not much more.

Some quick searching and I found this:

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...38/p15933.html

Obviously it's double the budget, but I'd rather pay up front.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:51 PM

The coalescing usually doesn't remove all the moisture. These work pretty good for what they are in conjuction with the coalescing unit. I have used them in the past. I kept a dedicated air line on the filter and only used the filter and airline when I painted. They commonly refer to them as toilet paper driers because 1000 sheet Scott's fits right in there making filter changes cheap and easy every time you get ready to paint something..

https://www.tooltopia.com/motorguard-m30-2.aspx

Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster_G View Post
The coalescing usually doesn't remove all the moisture. These work pretty good for what they are in conjuction with the coalescing unit. I have used them in the past. I kept a dedicated air line on the filter and only used the filter and airline when I painted. They commonly refer to them as toilet paper driers because 1000 sheet Scott's fits right in there making filter changes cheap and easy every time you get ready to paint something..

https://www.tooltopia.com/motorguard-m30-2.aspx
Have you had any issues with these breaking down and sending pieces through the air line? My experience with it is that they become prohibitively expensive to keep new cartridges in because of this, and I would *strongly* advise against the toilet paper trick for the same reason.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:41 PM

The first one I left set up and yeah the coating breaks down but it took a few years. The second I used when I painted then pulled the damp filter and stored it that way. Umpteen years later I still have that one floating around somewhere. Never had a whole lot of issues with them as long as I used Scotts 1000 that goes in tight and not some fluffy stuff. This is not the time to be delicate. lol And be religious about keeping fresh ones in it. They trap a fair amount of oil as well which a coalescing on it's own won't do.

It's not like a 3+stage system or refridgeration but they work pretty good for occasional use and for somebody that doesn't want to or have $450+ to chunk down on a better system.

Last edited by Hipster_G; 09-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Granted I'm no painter, but when I do I just use my normal cheap filter/water separator and put a disposable inline filter on the spray gun. Haven't had any problems.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:39 AM

I guess climate is part of it. I live between the Chesapeake and Ocean so it's always high humidity. The bigger the project , the harder the compressor runs, the worse it gets. I pretty much had to do a 3 stage, Plus that run off the compressor still has 2 other coalescing filters on it.

Most times I still run a gun filter , but I've had the ball type ones fail on me. Not sure whether they reach 100% capacity or the filter fails but they'll shoot water and your paint all over the side or a car in grand fashion in the middle of a pass with no warning. A lot of pro painters refuse to use them. Motorguard was one of the first ones to market those things and basically it's a tiny toilet paper drier. I end up buying a new one for a new project and use it a few times and get another.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in