Easy to make body trolley - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Wiki Edits: 21

I had used a set I took off an engine cart I disassembled and they for sure fell apart. These cast iron units have plenty of weight capacity and are holding up very well, I am happy with them. Have been over hill and dale and still rolling fine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Wiki Edits: 0

Mine is FAR more low tech than Willys or deadbodyman and it is only good for smaller, shorter, lighter bodies (not a full size car) but it certainly qualifies in the "economical" category. It's the wood pallet my 80 gallon air compressor was delivered on. And I just screwed on 4 metal casters (I believe they were rated at 300 lbs each.

As others have noted, I don't think you'd want to use those particular casters if you had a lot of junk and debris on your floor like when dismantling an existing car. But I'm able to keep my floor relatively object free so I haven't had any problems with how it rolls.

Since the pallet was a little on the short side, I did mount a "wheelie bar" on the back just as a precaution against the body possibly tipping backwards. I have to climb around a lot inside the car to shoot primer and paint so I didn't want to accidentally get too much weight in the back end and roll the thing over. (Bad...very bad.)

I'm also in the process of making a second smaller dolly for the pickup bed so I can move that around more easily when I get ready to shoot color. That has actually turned out to be a greater challenge to get right than slapping together the pallet dolly for the body.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM

You don't have paint on that thing yet?

Vince

Old 04-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
You don't have paint on that thing yet?
Ha.
Ha ha ha.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

(Notice I DO have some nice primer on the dolly...)
Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
thats the beauty of building your own,only you know what you need, the hight on cboys is perfect for working on the upper half but mabee not so good for replacing rockers,which brings me back to an adjustable dollie.Has anyone built one? I'd like to see some pics
Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 AM

Last journal entry: Update on my Build-Lights

Well,

On mine I just found an old original '35-40 Frame and cut it down in the front so I could move around it, and then I went down to the local Metal Supplier-I bought some seamless tubing (3/16") that fit the regular seamed tubing (like a sleeve) and then drilled holes in the tubing for different heights, and made longer and shorter tubes. they had some heavy duty Wheels and I made some plates and welded them to the seamless tubing-if I was going to work on the top of the Car I would take the Wheels completely off, and when I was working on the sides or underneath I just put in the longer or shorter Tubes-it really wasn't the prettiest thing, but it did do the job-these are the only pictures I have, but you can see on the top and bottom the Implement Pins I used to take the Wheels on and off-

Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Well,

On mine I just found an old original '35-40 Frame and cut it down in the front so I could move around it, and then I went down to the local Metal Supplier-I bought some seamless tubing (3/16") that fit the regular seamed tubing (like a sleeve) and then drilled holes in the tubing for different heights, and made longer and shorter tubes. they had some heavy duty Wheels and I made some plates and welded them to the seamless tubing-if I was going to work on the top of the Car I would take the Wheels completely off, and when I was working on the sides or underneath I just put in the longer or shorter Tubes-it really wasn't the prettiest thing, but it did do the job-these are the only pictures I have, but you can see on the top and bottom the Implement Pins I used to take the Wheels on and off-

I like it!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Oooooo, I think 35window wins Best of Show so far in the Dolly Class. Clean, simple, and functional. And if you have a junker frame around...not that expensive to build.

Which brings up one drawback...it might be difficult to adapt other bodies to fit it. But if that is not going to be in the future...then who cares.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Oooooo, I think 35window wins Best of Show so far in the Dolly Class. Clean, simple, and functional. And if you have a junker frame around...not that expensive to build.

Which brings up one drawback...it might be difficult to adapt other bodies to fit it. But if that is not going to be in the future...then who cares.

That's just purdy because he's got a great looking body on it.........

Now that I'm done joking, that really does look great!

In a while, Chet.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Can't you guys see past the body? There is so much there than just a body. I feel so violated.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Wiki Edits: 54

I was going to take pictures of this before, and finally got around to it. This is what I'm going to use as my body dolly. It measures 3' by 6' and some change. It's constructed of 2" angle and square tubing and is sitting on 4 swivel caster wheels rated at 1000 lbs each. I scored this as a reject from work.... For FREE!!!!! Sometimes it just pays to be in the right place when the boss gets mad.

In a while, Chet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S4010672.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	37798   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4010673.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	37799  
Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 AM

I wouldn't recomend wood frame, very dangerous but its your life. Live and learn
Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I wouldn't recomend wood frame, very dangerous...
I'm curious how wood poses a danger. We LIVE in wooden contraptions. They seem to stay together pretty good.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Wooden that be "DIE and learn"?!! Actually the definition of a trolley in this sense is 'a mechanism to transport an object'. I would not crawl under any of the contraptions shown here and I hope that principle is self evident to everyone? Regardless, a well braced wooden frame like I built is more than adequate to carry a fairly lightweight car body. Of course I did a quickie structural analysis (Sorry its the engineer in me - Shigley's "Mechanical Engineering Design" is burned into my brain!). If we were all closer, I would challenge every one to a weight carrying contest and I am pretty sure I wouldn't be the worst, probably not the best but WAY more than adequate for the intended purpose. My limit would be the 350# rating of the casters, frame would go much higher than that.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 AM

Got Wood ???????

Gentlemen,Let me explain: 1) Woodworking has been my absolute most favorite hobby for my whole life, I re-saw beams from old factories into boards and make things like flooring, antique furniture, moldings.etc. I have a very extensive woodshop any pro would envy,so I know wood and wood joinery as do some of you (I've seen many impressive projects and talent here by hotrodders and I've PM them to say so). 2)Shipping crates are the absolutely,without a doubt, the lowest quality wood there is. It's unstable and very susceptible to dimension changes due to moisture.Most is not even worth burning in your fire place (softwoods)but if you dont mind all the popping the oak pallets work fine for burning. The rest of it should be used outside in bonfires.3)Some of your friends know this but havent spoke up.4)My fear is some kid will try this and get killed or kill someone helping him, and it'll be your fault. Since you haven't removed this thread I feel its my responsibility to point out my safety concerns.5) Eventually a car will begin the reassembly process adding more and more weight,someone with.......say a camaro will attach the subframe, suspension, rearend,etc...6)I made this error in judgement myself, luckily for me mine was made of steel. After reassembling my subframe, I inadvertently leaned on the car and it became a teeter totter. If someone was under that car working, they could have been seriously hurt. SORRY if I hurt your feelings, but its better than you hurting someone else with bad , ill thought out, untested projects. It reminds me of a bunch of old guys sitting around making fun of some kid's welding project and posting their crap like they never had a first project themselves, instead of offering help. What a bunch of cyber bullies they were. I HATE BULLIES, so I just had to say something then too. Again ,sorry if I stepped on anyones toes but I've got some BIG clumsy feet.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 05-02-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: clarity

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in