Edelbrock Manifold Spacer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2019, 12:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock Manifold Spacer

I have a Edelbrock 2101 Performer manifold that I am installing. It is a dual plane. What kind or type of carb spacer would I use? Split chamber or square. I have both a Holley 4160 and an Edelbrock 4106 carb that I might use. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 01:13 PM

duel plan intake

will have a center section to provide duel. i'd be looking for a spacer that matches with the separation also. using an open spacer makes it almost a single plan.. why do u want a spacer ?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM

Use this one with that intake https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Open-Hole...EAAOSwN9tZdWLO Edelbrock carbs can be heat sensitive this will work best and the open center matches with the 2101 Intake. You might find this handy. https://www.edelbrock.com/edelbrock-...nd-tech-videos

Last edited by JeffB28; 04-30-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:40 PM

I was wanting to increase torque. I was told either a open or split spacer would work either way. I do have a dual plane, so will probably go to a split spacer.
Thanks.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christman1947 View Post
I was wanting to increase torque. I was told either a open or split spacer would work either way. I do have a dual plane, so will probably go to a split spacer.
Thanks.
https://www.jegs.com/p/Trans-Dapt/Tr...43865/10002/-1
Old 04-30-2019, 02:16 PM

Thanked 1,194 Times in 946 Posts
Temperature control on the carburetor has become a big issue. Since no production vehicles have had a carburetor for about 30 years modern fuels are not formulated for carburetors where the only pressure on the fuel is between the inlet valve of the float bowl and pump where with fuel injection high pressure exists on the fuel from pump to the moment it is shot into the port or cylinder. This allows and requires a different formulation that is more volatile than what a carb wants especially when mounted on a heated manifold.

What is needed is a thermal spacer of wood or plastic at least a half inch thick using stainless steel mounting bolts or studs as these are less heat conductive than plain steel.

As far as dynamic function is concerned the result has a lot to do with the manifolds starting plenum volume versus the cam timing. Big cam's with lots of overlap and late closing intake valves, and older design (muscle car) cam's with lots of ramp between .050 and closed generate high amounts of reversion which wants to obstruct the induction phase some to the point of blowing mixture out of the air horn. The Performer has a smaller plenum so when put on an engine with a cam getting durations over 200 degrees from .050 to .050; this manifold can benefit from an increase to plenum volume as the larger plenum dampens reversion more significantly than a smaller one. This is one of the advantages of the Performer RPM over the performer when using larger cam's.

With the foregoing in mind the spacer with each side primary and secondary combined provides a larger volume than a 4 holer while retaining the function of a divided 180 degree plenum which emphasizes torque. A totally open spacer costs a little torque in favor of top RPM house power.

Bogie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (04-30-2019), Christman1947 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 PM

I can vouch about the fuel being harder to run with a carb. Six years ago I never had any problems but as the years went on they have gotten way more sensitive to heat and boil way more easier. I was without a running truck three years back cause of issues but since then I had to sell my one truck and my one I still have as my only wheels I did a brand new build last year and I used an electric fuel pump for the very first time and over the last two years all the gas stations in my small town have pretty much all went to E10 which does not help none.

I noticed that after I would check things over in my truck every few days my fuel bowls in my holley carb was low since I have sight glass windows and I wondered if I was leaking fuel or something but by rocking my truck hard enough I could see some fuel pop up against the window. I looked around and saw no signs of fuel leakage and my intake was not showing signs of puddling fuel and my air cleaner was nice and clean so no signs of fuel dumping out of my vents. I just kept tabs on it and did not see it till one day when it was 80 plus degrees out I noticed that after my truck was shut off and sitting for half an hour I popped my hood and saw that my fuel was boiling inside my fuel bowls to the point it was not bad enough to make it spill out my boosters or cause any running issues after I started it and had it going but it sure never did that before.

I am going to install a return line to help keep fuel moving better since I have never had to run one before and I also run a spacer and never had problems before with boiling fuel till last year so I am doing what I can to run my carb as cool as I can. I run a phenolic during the summer months and an aluminum one during the colder months since it makes my carb run to cold with a phenolic during colder months with temps below 50 degrees. I also have no heat crossover either.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

I agree with DelwareBill on why the need for a spacer unless its needed. Me, maybe i've not read or learned enough but if i was wanting to increase torque, a carb spacer does not come to mind as an answer to that unless you're turning 6000+ RPMs which might would make the spacer more relevant based on your post and that'd be on a single plane intake..
Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 AM

Carb spacers can do a lot of things especially one engines that are choked with poor flowing heads and a very small runner intake. For these kind of engines a 4 hole spacer will add plenum volume and actually help carb signal and breath a little more and help with torque. Now how much can differ on any engine regardless of how its built from bone stock to all out performance. An open spacer will increase plenum volume as well but it will decrease the bottom end signal coming into the carb and take away some throttle response but will give more on the mid range and the most on the top end.

Open spacers are best for high reviving engines that your looking for every last bit of power on the top and work better on single plane intake manifolds and don't work well on a dual plane as it cuts out the effect of the dual plane intake design. I have tested with all three kinds of spacers before from the 4 hole to the open spacer and the combination 4 hole tapered to open spacer and they all have there place and depending on things they can add a lot or very little or hardly make any difference at all but it depends on the application.

I have an edelbrock victor jr single plane intake and decent sized 228/[email protected] 547/547 lift hydraulic roller cam with 200 cc heads and its a 377 cubic inch build and I use a 4 hole spacer to help give my carb some signal back and some more crisper throttle response. If I had done a 350 build I would have used a dual plane but since my engine was already bigger cubic inch and would thus have more torque I went with the victor jr and with the 4 hole it gives me a blend of both but that would not work in all situations but for me it works.

Most of all my 350 builds I have done over the years with high rise dual plane intake manifolds I have always used a one inch 4 hole spacer for clearance for a few things and it actually makes my engine even more responsive. As far as power goes I don't know if it makes that much difference as I have seen little to gain to almost 15 or more horse power depending on what build and what all is on it for cam and heads and flow wise. It is basically a tuning aid that you have to try and test yourself.

4 hole spacers are best for dual plane intakes and the open spacer are geared more for the single plane and higher rpm engines that see more track time then street.
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
Christman1947 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Wifes 79 comeing together!

"Carb spacers are designed to do one thing , raise the carb further from the intake plenums floor to increase the size of the plenum area.

Larger plenums = higher RPM use and higher RPM power curves (less low RPM torque).

Small plenums = lower RPM use and greater lower RPM response (velocity and mixture), for quicker power and torque curves.

The larger the plenum, the "lazier" the air (and fuel) is inside the plenum, so it requires higher RPMs to create the velocity needed to get that air/fuel mixture moving the directions it needs to go (down the runners)."

Carb spacers are usually used to move your power up or down the engines power curve ! So if you need more power and crisp response at low RPM you need no spacer for a low RPM dual plane intake! But if you want your power to come in at mid range or higher you can add a spacer to tune that in instead of buying an intake that's right for the job!! They are a tuning device or a bandaid wichever you choose

I am not talking about heat insulating carb gasgets but some tall spacers are made of insulating materials

A 4 hole spacer on an open plenum can be used to reduce a little reversion rather then a reversion plate , an open spacer on a dual plane 4 hole intake can cause reversion and fuel to puddle in the plenum!! An intake is designed for a specific RPM range and a spacer changes the design of the plenum not the runners!!!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 05-01-2019 at 10:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 PM

The Edelbrock 2101 isn't going to gain him much in performance anyway except to save weight it's not uncommon to see them used going for around $40. The EPS 2701 does slightly better.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffB28 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 06:34 AM

Just like everyone says, open for high rpms and divided for low end throttle response. Now if you find your dual plane craps out early, try an open one. You really have to try them both to feel the difference.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:59 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Not seeing it. What people have said, from a 'data' standpoint is true. Again though, you're wanting to increase torque on a dual plane.........why look to a carburetor spacer......???? If it was that much of a gain on you're avg car, don't you think the manifold manufacturers would have compensated???
Old 05-02-2019, 06:52 PM

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp...retor-spacers/
Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

No disrespect, but the article speaks to high performance engines/racing. My last post mentioned average motors and my previous post beyond that mentioned turning 6000+ RPMs in order for me to look to a spacer if needed. Might have to agree to disagree, and perhaps i'm the lone wolf out there on this one. Reminds me of 5.7 vs 6.0 rods gains argument.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in