Edelbrock Tech Help Acceler ator Pump - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2019, 06:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930u View Post
My issue is just pump shot which hopefully I will get squared away next week.
The secret to this is in the rod adjustment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf edlebrock pump adjustments.pdf (1.34 MB, 1 views)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 sedan View Post
The transition circuits are almost identical as Holleys, the air bleeds and restrictors are a little more difficult to get at and tune is all. The accelerator pump's arm works the same as a cam (the rod sets the action), the plungers can be changed to increase volume, and there are larger nozzles available. Jetting is pretty much the same, with the exception of how the metering rod work and effect jetting.
I have never seen any mention of replaceable air bleeds on any Edelbrock carb. Of course only some Holleys have this feature.

Next, I haven't seen different volume pump plungers, just different materials to handle ethanol in gas. Also, no optional nozzle sizes.

Which carbs support these features, and where do I buy the parts?

Not tying to start something here, but I used to buy, rebuild, and sell 1400-series carbs and I still work on them occasionally, so would like to have more ammo in my Edelbrock parts bins.

FYI, the main problems I encountered were clogged fuel and air passages (VERY common). Not so much from bad fuel and air filters, but from corrosion. Lots of soaking time in carb cleaner, followed by air pressure, and even mini-drill bits do the trick here, as well as replacing screw-in jets that were on the road to disintegration.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:24 AM

Last journal entry: 1930u Power Brute to Doug Nash 288

I cleaned everything really well so I believe all is well with vents, bleeds and emultion tubes.

Edelbrock does not make different volume pumps and I guess they cover that with the three hole adjustable pump lever... But not sure in my case so thats why I posted.

I do think bending the pump rod and higher float level will resolve the issue. Will let you know for sure.

Edelbrock does make different nozzles..023,.033 and .043

Old 07-26-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55_327 View Post
I have never seen any mention of replaceable air bleeds on any Edelbrock carb. Of course only some Holleys have this feature.
If adjustments to the air bleeds and restrictors are need I drill to enlarge or insert wire to close them down. Although I have drilled treaded and inserted brass allen screws with the centers drilled to the sizes I needed, much the same as for Holleys.

Quote:
Next, I haven't seen different volume pump plungers, just different materials to handle ethanol in gas. Also, no optional nozzle sizes.
While technically the pump size doesn’t change the plunger can be changed to a stronger spring (#1470 to a #1468), which does increase the volume and force at the nozzles. There are 3 nozzle sizes available in a kit (#1475)

Quote:
Which carbs support these features, and where do I buy the parts?
Almost all Edelbrock weber designs parts interchange and you can still source NOS original weber AVS parts, giving a few more jet and rod options.
Sources are Edelbrock, Summit, Jegs, Speedway, Mike’s carburetor parts and many more.

Quote:
Not tying to start something here, but I used to buy, rebuild, and sell 1400-series carbs and I still work on them occasionally, so would like to have more ammo in my Edelbrock parts bins.
Understand, not trying to offend either.

Quote:
FYI, the main problems I encountered were clogged fuel and air passages (VERY common). Not so much from bad fuel and air filters, but from corrosion. Lots of soaking time in carb cleaner, followed by air pressure, and even mini-drill bits do the trick here, as well as replacing screw-in jets that were on the road to disintegration.
Very common agreed, but it seems to be happening with most brand carburetors with todays fuels. There are a lot people changing out carbs they think are defective that just need to be cleaned. I clean the passages regularly and I drive my car a lot, the gas does not sit in it for long at all. These low pressure systems (carburetors) seem to collect a little more dirt and corrosion in them than they used too (at least as I remember it, lol).
Old 07-26-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
higher float level will resolve the issue. Will let you know for sure.
I will caution you again against high float levels, no good comes from it.

Edelbrock (weber design) carbs do not operate well with high float levels or high fuel pressures. It can cause stalls, flooding and other problems.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:01 PM

I'm going to check the fuel level in the pump well before I change float level edelbrock even stated to me on the phone that increasing the level may fix the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1930u For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (07-26-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Edelbrock does make different nozzles..023,.033 and .043

I didn't know that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 Sedan
There are a lot people changing out carbs they think are defective that just need to be cleaned.
Man, ain't that the truth! Also bad-mouthing a brand just because it started giving them problems after several years, or because they didn't read the manual on how to tune it. Not uncommon for a guy to post a question about a carb problem and then see at least one response calling the carb "junk". Sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to 55_327 For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 02:39 PM

I love my edelbrock carbs... I'm hoping to get them squared away...
The Following User Says Thank You to 1930u For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Also bad-mouthing a brand just because it started giving them problems after several years, or because they didn't read the manual on how to tune it. Not uncommon for a guy to post a question about a carb problem and then see at least one response calling the carb "junk". Sad.
At almost every car get together I people talking trash about this one or that one, I simple ask if they tuned their carb? Almost every time I get "It is set up out of the box for my car." And, it is the parts house counter guys telling them this!

YEP, the young man at the counter that half the time doesn't even know what a carburetor really is! Of course what I know, I only grew up with carbs, hot rods and muscle cars. I'm probably too old to know anything.....
Old 08-07-2019, 08:46 PM

Finally got back on the hot rod. I reset the float levels to 5/16" from the carb cover. The spec. is 7/16". I attached a few pics and you can see this change brought the top of the float parallel with the top cover when the seats are fully closed. Also increased float drop.

Next I removed the accelerator pump linkages and found them to be different lengths. I adjusted them so they match geometrically and set the length at 2.900".

I installed the linkages back into the top hole of the pump lever. I now have fuel from the nozzles as soon as I touch the throttle...

I double checked to make sure the pump is not bottoming out in the well. I also confirmed you can attach the pump linkage to any hole on the pump lever and the pump seal is below the fuel level in the bowl unless of course the float level is too low. Also each position changes the pump stroke by .090"

These carbs also have a balance slot between the bowls but no fuel flows between the bowls so I guess its to equalize fuel bowl pressure???

This bit of tuning definitely helped my stumble problem buts its still not perfect. Running the idle screws out further also improved my idle surge issues.

I tested vacuum at the carb bases and have 14"-16" which really tells you nothing because the blower is pulling like heck on the carbs. Under the blower in the intake manifold I have a steady 10"-11" at idle.

The last test was looking at the metering rods while the engine is running. My springs are set to open at 8" and I can see they are working perfectly. As soon as I touch the throttle the metering rods are up.

So all this being said and done I'm still not happy with it. I will get it back out on the road this week and see if I can live with it.

Lastly I spoke to a carb expert and he said this may be as good as it gets because of the volatility of todays fuel.

Thanks for the help all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_133849.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	445861   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_134051.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	445863   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_135018.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	445865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_135636_HDR.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	445867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_140025.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	445869  

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in