Electrical Outlets - Safety Tip - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg
Maybe our learned colleague from the great State of Massachusetts could enlighten us with two or three examples of the type of emergency that would require we unplug our two-hundred-twenty volt, fifty amp welder plugs knowing full well our mission could be severely hampered by having to overpower a couple of strips of duct tape.

Maybe if you're welding on Ted Kennedy's car while he's driving some young lady to her death off a bridge, you might want to unplug your welder.

And yes Paris, many of us already know duct tape is not conductive. That alone is a worthy tip.
Making a plug harder to unplug is never a good idea, as far as an in an emergency a couple seconds can be life or death. The point was there are proper ways to accomplish the same thing. Explosion proof boxes and twist lock plugs might be a better solution. Some duct tape is conductive and some is not. Mike proved some is not and that is a valid point. Did you test yours before you taped up your box. I bet the answer is no. As far as an emergency, how bout a fire or a burst pipe in the area you are using the welder.

Tapeing a plug is mickey mouse at best. The point was fix the problem correctly if you are going to fix it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Wiki Edits: 8

Red Green Power Windows

Shane
Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me..........

M-I-C-K-E-Y m-o-u-s-e.

I'd lose, where do you want the five pound bag of money, trip to Tahiti and new Hayabusa sent? Admittedly, I didn't test my duct tape for conductivity, nor would I........ simply because duct tape is not conductive. Aluminum Foil Tape is conductive and so is Copper Foil Tape as used in stain glass work, but I didn't use aluminum or copper foil tape, I used Duct Tape.

Now, maybe they sell Aluminum Foil Tape that's used for duct work, there in the heart of liberal nannyismland, but I doubt it's labeled as Duct Tape.

Around here in the west where real cowboys still ride horses and rope real cows - No Paris, ...where men are men and sheep are scared? That's Wyoming - we sell duct tape that is labeled Duct Tape and is NFC .... Non F Conductive. We also sell Aluminum Foil Tape that's labeled Aluminum Foil Tape.

So, am i to underatand that; anything that might delay a plug from being pulled out instantly could be a hazard? How about a twist lock plug being yanked on by a friend, relative or child in an emergency (yet to be defined) who doesn't know it's a twist lock plug and can't get it out of the socket?
I'll bet you don't have your twist lock plugs labeled as such so someone other than you would know to unlock it to pull it out.

Banish me to the Lounge or the Brig, this is so much fun.......... please take this all in jest..... (hic)... Paris thsi si a levoly shardinn-eh. I am not under the ancofluence of incahol though thinkle peep I am.

Picture shows re-installed vertical outlet and tin foil hat with red wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tin hat.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	28078  

Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Wiki Edits: 161

I like the mouse ears on the tinfoil hat...
Paris love you all night long with that hat on..

Kisses, Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Most of you experienced guys probably know this, but I put duct tape around plugs and receptacles for fear... OK Paris, paranoia..... of inadvertently sticking a welding filler rod or screw driver between the plug and receptacle and getting my teeth curled.

Yes Paris, we know you curl my toes and the group knows you put that level thing on crooked and my compass doesn't point North.

For starters, I'd replace the mud ring with a cover with a Mulberry # 11422. That mud ring is meant for sheetrock and then would have a regular face plate installed.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Wiki Edits: 2

Bah! I read that whole thing hoping to further my education, win the war and save the Taco lady. Y'all even let Mikey get by with cheap electrometer tricks -- "OL" is just calculator speak for "Old Lady". All it means is that his grip is weak and he can't take the voltage. That "0.00" means he's out of game time and is just too cheap to drop in another quarter. The tape is just in the picture to distract you -- same as the old magician's trick of having a scantily-clad assistant. Mikey just won't pay the lady.

I've never seen, heard or smelled anyone drop something across the blades of a plug in an outlet. All of mine have the ground at the bottom. Lemme know when statistics show I have more than a 1 in 10 billion chance of scorching the wall by butterknives or other conductive objects dropping precisely parallel to, and 1/4" from, the wall to short circuit a plug hanging just far enough out to catch said conductive object. I will then be happy to say, "Yep. Might not have tripped that breaker if the ground hole was on top."

Duct tape? If you don't want your plugs to come out or other stuff to get in, hard wire 'em! What's the code say about that? Is the plug a requirement or a convenience?

Oh, and btw, that tinfoil hat is ridiculous. There's no point in wearing a tinfoil hat to keep out the mind control rays if you're just going to twist antennae in it that lets 'em back in!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Yep that pic sure is funny, but no one could be that stupid, it's not plugged in.

Vince
I am not so sure, these guys just might be young enough to have been educated buy todays educators. If that is so then these guys more then likely think this is a new way to run an ipod without using up the batteries
Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
boatbob2

PARIS (France that is)

i love Paris (france) cant say that about the rest of france though./i went to Pigalle in April of 1962, 3 weeks,
drank a beer at EVERY bar in Pigalle (both sides of the street) and played with most of the nightly ladys. $2.00 a shot ( if you have to ask,a shot of what)dont read this blurb.just reminiscing.(tired of reading about duct tape !!!! who would do such a thing anyhow????????
Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Elect outlet grd pin

I loaned my copy of the 2005 National Elect Code book. But my copy of the Illustrated Guide to the NEC -2005-- uses the illustrations from the code book and they all have the round grounding pin at the top. just look at the pictures and put it together.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I loaned my copy of the 2005 National Elect Code book. But my copy of the Illustrated Guide to the NEC -2005-- uses the illustrations from the code book and they all have the round grounding pin at the top. just look at the pictures and put it together.
Does your refrigerator have a right-angle, 3-prong plug? When plugged into an outlet with the ground up, is the cord in a strain?

When a cord with a 3-prong plug hangs from a wall outlet with the ground up and the plug only partially pushed in, that ground pin is being put under a cantilever load -- risk of breaking the pin off. With the ground down and the plug only partially pushed in, the ground pin is being pushed farther into the outlet by the weight of the cord, but it still suffers the cantilever load.

Neither of these is any more persuasive than the likewise anecdotal references to a hypothetical conductive object falling along the wall and shorting the blades when the ground is down. It's a long-running debate without a clearly superior (fact-supported) answer. In certain individual circumstances, it may be that one way or the other is clearly a better orientation, but that doesn't support a general rule that outlets should be oriented a certain way.

I'm not sandbagging -- I don't have a copy of the latest NEC. Everything I could find says that the NEC does not specify the orientation of receptacles.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Is this a great place or what?

If your'e renting a commercial space and you hardwire your welder in, you may be required, by your lease, to leave the welder to the building owner when you leave.

Do you know what my uncle said when his cow died? Gee, that never happened before.

Oh Paris, we're going to have fun with this one.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
If your'e renting a commercial space and you hardwire your welder in, you may be required, by your lease, to leave the welder to the building owner when you leave.
Now I see... the poor building owner works his/her fingers to the bone to put a roof over your head and this is the thanks you give? You can't even leave one measly little electric appliance as a tip for all that sacrifice?

I'm just shocked, shocked at such callous lack of gratitude! (Could you pull the plug, please? It's the one with the butter knife and welding rod stuck through the duct tape. Mind the wires sticking out where the cord makes that sharp loop over the right-angle plug. kthnxbai.)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in