Eliminating play on reversed corvair steering box - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2016, 12:09 PM

Last journal entry: 27 Ford T Bucket with SBC 327
Wiki Edits: 0

Eliminating play on reversed corvair steering box

I can't remember where I saw it on here but there's a youtube video???maybe that walks a newbie / no-nothing through the process of adjusting the play out of a reversed corvair steering box. It's on a Model T roadster with dragster to street issue, some of which you guys have helped me solve. Once I get the front end jacked up, how do you adjust out the 5" of play? Get a new one? Keep in mind I'm new at this so please use language you would for your 8 year old......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering box closeup.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	291426  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 02:41 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Wiki Edits: 21

Not a whole lot to wear out in those great little boxes so not a lot of adjustment provided. 99.999% of the time you can tighten them up perfectly by adjusting the bolt/nut in the middle of the big pot metal plate on the inside of the gear. It should be tight enough that you feel a slight drag on the input steering shaft when the gear is in the middle of its travel. the factory cut the gears so you can feel that drag in the middle.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
jdr5152 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:09 PM

need a little direction

Is that the huge flange like fitting through which the steering column enters the steering box or the bolt on the side that ties the pitman arm to the drag link?

Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

i tried to do this on my phone while i was out but i kept getting phone calls.

so. you get it later.. with better pictures and links..

with the wheels straight ahead. have somebody rock the steering wheel back and forth to the limit of the free play.. you should be looking at the input shaft on the steering box.. where the steering coupling is. you should NOT be seeing in and out movement of the input shaft.. if you do. the big nut needs to be loosened and the massive threaded plug slightly tightened .. then the big nut tightened again.. there should be a slight preload on the caged ball bearings shown in the picture i added to your image. this may get rid of the in and out of the input shaft.. or worm shaft. the aluminum cases can stretch slightly... allowing the caged ball bearings to get slightly loose.. if there is more than a fraction of an inch of play in the input shaft.. you may have had the bearing cages fail and the balls fall out. at which time you might have half a turn of play or more in the steering wheel before the wheels start to react to steering wheel rotation..

once you have verified the input shaft is properly preloaded.. there are specs for this.. that i don't have handy..

on the 3 bolt plate.. is a threaded stud with a jam nut.. the head of that bolt is in a TEE Slot in the top of the pitman shaft.. this limits or adjusts how deep the pitman gear is engaged with the slider.. again this is checked with the steering box centered or the wheels straight ahead.. you don't want any preload pushing the pitman gear into the slider.. but you don't want any freeplay. you want to slowly rock the input shaft back and forth while looking for reaction from the pitman shaft or arm..

you insert a tool to hold the threaded stud while you loosen the jam nut .. then you can adjust the threaded stud in or out to get about 1/2 to 3/4" of freeplay at the top of the steering wheel.. perhaps slightly less.

new corvair reversed boxes are available..

Reversed Corvair Steering Gear Box - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reversed_corvair_Steering_box_hotrodding .jpg
Views:	483
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	291442  
Old 04-02-2016, 08:45 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

reversed corvair box

since it's reversed the shaft will enter the box opposite from the shop diagram here's a link to some more info to to see if yours was done right
Technical - STEERING, How to Reverse a Corvair Box! | The H.A.M.B.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
jdr5152 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

It's pretty easy and the other folks have given you good info. All I can add is that it looks like an aluminum steering box. They can and have failed so with that said, suggest that you look at the box body well to make sure it hasn't cracked and spread. I think I still have a pitman arm left over from that box as well
Old 04-04-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep712 View Post
i tried to do this on my phone while i was out but i kept getting phone calls.

so. you get it later.. with better pictures and links..

with the wheels straight ahead. have somebody rock the steering wheel back and forth to the limit of the free play.. you should be looking at the input shaft on the steering box.. where the steering coupling is. you should NOT be seeing in and out movement of the input shaft.. if you do. the big nut needs to be loosened and the massive threaded plug slightly tightened .. then the big nut tightened again.. there should be a slight preload on the caged ball bearings shown in the picture i added to your image. this may get rid of the in and out of the input shaft.. or worm shaft. the aluminum cases can stretch slightly... allowing the caged ball bearings to get slightly loose.. if there is more than a fraction of an inch of play in the input shaft.. you may have had the bearing cages fail and the balls fall out. at which time you might have half a turn of play or more in the steering wheel before the wheels start to react to steering wheel rotation..

once you have verified the input shaft is properly preloaded.. there are specs for this.. that i don't have handy..

on the 3 bolt plate.. is a threaded stud with a jam nut.. the head of that bolt is in a TEE Slot in the top of the pitman shaft.. this limits or adjusts how deep the pitman gear is engaged with the slider.. again this is checked with the steering box centered or the wheels straight ahead.. you don't want any preload pushing the pitman gear into the slider.. but you don't want any freeplay. you want to slowly rock the input shaft back and forth while looking for reaction from the pitman shaft or arm..

you insert a tool to hold the threaded stud while you loosen the jam nut .. then you can adjust the threaded stud in or out to get about 1/2 to 3/4" of freeplay at the top of the steering wheel.. perhaps slightly less.

new corvair reversed boxes are available..

Reversed Corvair Steering Gear Box - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors
Yeah, there is no up and down of the input shaft. But with the wheels in the air, there is considerable play in the shaft / steering wheel before the pitman arm begins to push the drag link. One problem is the adjustment screw / nut assembly is on the engine side and is fairly blocked by headers, spark plug wires, etc. I'm not so sure any adjustment would be fruitful anyway. Am I wrong? I certainly am not looking forward to buying a new steering box, especially since I want to switch to rack and pinion at some point.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:23 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Wiki Edits: 21

That's why it is loose in the first place, because it is hard to reach! That adjustment is the key one and should solve your problems. Bite the bullet and get back there and twist it.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
jdr5152 (04-05-2016)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in