emissions controls? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 08:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question emissions controls?

Quote:
Do I need Emissions Controls on an old Truck?
I'm new to engine build up and i have me a 350, and i have this rat nest of old cracked hoses all over the place, i read up and found out that most of them when to emissions controls, do i need all that for an 82 chevy truck?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 02:55 PM

emissions controls

A lot of that depends on where you live and whether your state requires inspection of all those goodies each year. In some states, they have safety inspection only and you can tinker with your engine all you want. About the only national law is concerning catalytic converters. Removal of them from vehicles built after around 75 or 76 is a federal felony, subject to Big $$$$$$$$$ fines.

IF you want to find out for sure, check with your local inspection station if you have them.
Most smog stuff used prior to the inseption of Fuel Injection and computer programmed engines, can be deleted with no ill effects to the operation of the engine, as a large part of them only effect the engine during warm up.
As for the cats, you can legally replace your stock one with aftermarkets and duals etc. The main frame of the law is that there are cats on your vehicle.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:13 PM

I personally would not advice removal of the emissions equiptment. First of all removing it can cause you drivabilty problems especially in colder climates until the engine reaches normal operating temps. You can also run into detonation if you disable the egr system which you definetly don't want. The carb and distributer are set up to work with the emissions controls if you take them off I recommend getting the carb rejetted to run richer as pollution controlled vehicals ran very lean carb settings and possibly a distributer recurve with an adjustable vacuum advance. Lastly keep in mind that you are not gonna can much if any power with removing it.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:28 PM

emissions

I agree with Robin in part. Especially the part about the EGR, and not gaining any significant power. I have bipassed the temp controls on ignition systems and done away with air pumps, and never had any problems with them though. Course living in Texas, you probably dont get any 0 and below weather.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

In most areas in Texas YES you need the emissions equiptment. They have a 24 year rule and you fall under that rule by about 2 years lol.

Like was said, changing it can alter your engines performance and adversy affect it. You'd probably see a gain in efficiency and quality by replacing all those old cracked hoses and doing an all around tuneup.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:58 PM

That one good thing about living in Canada, well Saskatchewan. WE HAVE NO EMMISIONS, so anything goes. I have a cousing in austin and he says to just call the police and ask. thats what he did and they were very helpful, they even have a pamplet i think.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in