Engine Miss and Rattle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 10:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Engine Miss and Rattle

Ok so the other day all was fine and then my engine started with a very consistent clatter that goes clack clack clack directly in time with the engine, just one clack per revolution and then it gets a double beat and the engine bogs down and misses and then it goes back to quite and then back and forth. I thought it might be a lifter so I pulled the plugs, one plug was wet looking (looked like gas not oil or water) so then I pulled the valve covers and removed the pushrods on that plug and they werent bent and when I turned the motor over, it looked as if all the rocker arms were moving the way they should. and I have good oil pressure and oil coming out of all the pushrods. could it be that one of the lifters is starting to give out? its a 351C and I hate to pull the manifold if I dont need to.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2006, 10:34 PM

You could have a piece of carbon loose inside the engine, or worse, a bolt or nut(maybe from the throttle plates?) may be on top of the piston. Pull all the spark plugs...inspect all of them, and keep them in order from the cylinder they came from and any spark plugs that look damaged, try to determine what may be hitting...look for an imprint of threads or points from a nut...it could be a small rock that got past your air-filter...a piece of carbon sounds just as bad as a small bolt or nut...carbon usually disintegrates in a while...it can still close the spark plug gap...does the engine have a lot of miles on it? Does it use a small amount of oil...or a puff of blue when you start it in the morning? This would be caused by worn out umbrella valve seals on the valve stems inside the valve spring...the oil in the combustion chamber over a period of time turns into carbon and once in a while a piece will fall out of the combustion chamber...If the motor is relatively fresh 3 or 4 year year rebuild then this is probably NOT the problem, and it probably should be torn down and inspected...if it's an old motor, it's time to refresh it completely, valve job=better top end compression, bottom end (rings, bearings, pistons, etc., timing chain and gears, will be just as tired...not to mention a tired transmission and against a fresh motor...it just goes on...only you, can determine whether the value is there to repair...just my 2 cents...Cheers!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Do you have an Air Injection Reactor?

It could be a manifold valve slaming open then shut..then the A.I.R. Pump cuts in (miss / bog) then out..Quiet..

Doc

Old 04-02-2006, 09:30 AM

its a regular old school motor, a little over stock with some performance parts and a carburetor. its about 5 years old with around 6000 miles on it. it doesnt burn any oil and the plugs burn a nice rust brown color none of them foul, until now which one is but its just not firing correctly. I think im just going to bite the bullet and replace the lifters and hope that fixes it. thanks for the input.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in