engine over heating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine over heating

I have in stalled a ZZ4 vortex 350 marine engine into a el Camino. Engine has less than 100 hours on it. My friend under warranty replaced the engine in a new boat due over heating, of which he could duplicate the issue. I have dissembles engine checking for overheating issue and could not find any signs of heating issue. i have replace thermostat, clutch fam, 7 blade fan blade. new gauges, 3 row aluminum radiator. Also i have a March performance serpentine system on the engine still running hot. I have just eliminated the clutch fan and running straight, lots of air flow but going up slower. Could be i need a reverse flow water pump

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 10:54 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,133 Times in 2,628 Posts
If the March system uses the backside of the serpentine belt, the flat side, to turn the water pump you need a reverse rotation pump, and a reverse rotation fan.

If it uses the ribbed side of the belt, it uses a conventional rotation pump.

Some other things for you to check:
Retarded ignition timing will raise engine temp.
Lean fuel mixture can lead to overheating.
Make sure the anti-collapse coil spring is present in the lower radiator hose.

Have you got a fan shroud on the radiator??

Overheating at idle and low speeds is most often an airflow issue, overheating at highway speeds is most often a water flow issue or inadequate radiator capacity, but it looks like you've got that size issue dealt with already.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Here's how to tell for sure which rotation water pump you have. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stndrdRevStrPmp_LI.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	419562  

Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanked 1,058 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have in stalled a ZZ4 vortex 350 marine engine into a el Camino. Engine has less than 100 hours on it. My friend under warranty replaced the engine in a new boat due over heating, of which he could duplicate the issue. I have dissembles engine checking for overheating issue and could not find any signs of heating issue. i have replace thermostat, clutch fam, 7 blade fan blade. new gauges, 3 row aluminum radiator. Also i have a March performance serpentine system on the engine still running hot. I have just eliminated the clutch fan and running straight, lots of air flow but going up slower. Could be i need a reverse flow water pump
If the belt runs under the pulley it needs a counter clockwise turning (reverse direction) pump and fan, similar too if not the factory pieces from 87 to 2000 production LO3, LO5, L30, and L31 engines.

Bogie
Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM

over heating

Started witha a 3 core brass /copper radiator with a thermostate 160-180.......blew the thermostate 2 times so now I run a restrictive plate 3/4 in hole...... running a shroud and a aluminum ridiged fan temp runs 180 freway, and stop and go Off road 220 in sand I face the wind and run 2 full trottle run's and watch the temp drop to 180 then I park the truck..... this has been running since 1983...... so today 2019 its running a 3 core aluminum radiator from Wizard distilled and 50/50 oil 20 50 castrol and slick 50 took out this toy on the beach and to get out had to red line the run up a sandy hill 1st gear and broke my fan belt... temp up to 365....... for 5 min..... stopped by the restroom and changed the belt carry spare parts.... this was in 2015 and its 2019 and 231 runs like a monster yet..... same motor .. ruins 150-170 now on the street........

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in